PDA

View Full Version : Sigma lense on nikon d90

matilda
12-04-2009, 9:44pm
I'm creating this thread for my dad. I hope i have put it in the right spot.

He has the same camera a me (nikon d90). He however has a sigma lens (18mm-200mm) while i have a nikkor lens.

He has been noticing recently that when he goes to use the camera it wont take photo's. Well today after i looked up the code in the user manual it says that it does not recognise the lens (comes up with not being attached, however it is definitely).
I took my lens off and put it on his camera to make sure it wasn't the camera itself. The problem is definitely the lens.
It happens sporadically though. It will work fine one minute, and then the next time you use it the code comes up.
I've also noticed that some of the features don't work when the lens is working. Like the multiply shutter mode.

Is anyone else having this problem at all with sigma lenses?

i might get him to have it replaced via the warranty, as the camera and the lens isn't even a year old.

I @ M
12-04-2009, 10:06pm
It very much sounds like the lens isn't communicating with the camera Matilda.
It may be something as simple as dirty electrical contacts or something more seriously out of whack inside the lens itself.
If the camera works fine with your lens / es then it is most likely a problem with the Sigma item.
Have you tried putting the Sigma on your camera?
If it is under warranty I would suggest a trip to the dealer who sold either or both the camera and lens for them to have a look at.

arthurking83
12-04-2009, 10:09pm
It happens sometimes!
Probably a slightly faulty CPU chip or something, could be an unclean contact pin.. or whatever. If you are keen to try something before condemning the lens to warranty land you could try to clean the contact pins with an eraser!
just an ordinary eraser rubbing very lightly over the contact pins on the back of the lens, make sure not to get rubber shavings(rubbing too hard) which can fall into the lens(if the rear element is exposed enough.
Just a light touch and rub may do the trick, don't work across the pins in series, if you try it, hold the lens facing normally as it would be on the camera, and rub the eraser gently back towards you. Once or twice is enough to clean them if they are in fact just dirty enough to give you issues.

Never had issues with my 10-20 Siggy in three years of use, and neither with the 50/1.4 which is new.

So.. begs the question... does the Sigma work on your D90?

matilda
13-04-2009, 2:46pm
yeah i tried the simga lens on my camera and it worked fine.

i'll let my dad know. might try the eraser trick.

thanks again.

arthurking83
13-04-2009, 7:55pm
yeah i tried the simga lens on my camera and it worked fine.

Now that's going to be a problem!

if the lens works on yours but still don;t work on your dads, then the shop will tell 'ya to go away and come back when the lens breaks! :p

Errr.. did you try it again on your dads camera again after you tried it on yours?

This sounds like it's going to get weird :confused013