PDA

View Full Version : Night Vs Depth of Field

beedee
12-04-2009, 5:20pm
Hi all,

Here's a complex one..

This is on the corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street Adelaide, just prior to Christmas. My wallet on top of the traffic signal box is my tripod, and I believe it was set to about f8 on a multi-second exposure..

Am not sure whether its focus a problem or just colour spectrum reaction is the 'problem', as it look like its out of focus..

Appreciate your comments and thoughts.

ricktas
12-04-2009, 5:30pm
My thoughts are camera movement, you state your wallet on top of a signal box was your tripod, I think that during the exposure there was some slight camera movement.

arthurking83
12-04-2009, 5:40pm
most likely!

I'm guessing that you used timer and such like.

Even using the timer function, you can still get movement from any breeze, or the most likely cause, mirror slap.

jev
12-04-2009, 5:50pm
Yeah, definately camera movement. Probably due to the fact yoyu didn't really use a tripod but just put the camera down on something soft like a wallet - that's not a sturdy base in any book.

Mirror slap is possible, especially with the 1/2.5 second exposure you used on this image. I do not expect it to generate this much unsharpness though.

Miaow
12-04-2009, 7:08pm
did the lights on the building change at all? just wondering cause the bottom part appears to be reasonably sharp? if camera movement was the problem wouldn't the bottom where the cars are be oof more also?

MattC
12-04-2009, 7:47pm
I think the lights have something to do with it -

Although my photo is taken hand held, I also found the colours 'blown out' and had a OOF look to them.
hoffy was also taking shots at the same time - not sure if he has any of the same tree though.

Cheers

Seesee
12-04-2009, 8:09pm
Bit of both....colour a minor problem, but certainly slight camera movement, most evident in the slight blurr to the buildings.....still, looks good :)

campo
16-04-2009, 8:27am
I would think that camera movement would cause more of the photo to blur...

(in the original photo), take a look at the various edges at the bottom and the fixed street lamps, they're not showing signs of movement and if they are, it's very minor compared to the lights on the building...

nexeh
19-04-2009, 7:38pm
Of the photos that I have taken of the Rundle Lights, they all look OOF towards the ends, but the middle of the lighs at 100% is sharp. The buildings and signs look nice and sharp. I think that because of the angle of the shot taken it looks OOF and the size doesnt help too much.

Dale