PDA

View Full Version : Layer/Selection help ??

bigdazzler
12-04-2009, 2:58pm
OK so ive got an image where i wanna apply some selective colour. Basically I wanna select a oart of the subject to keep in colour and convert remaining background area to mono..

Whats the best way to do it ?? Im using GIMP but i wouldnt imagine this kind of thing would vary much between PS etc ..

Ive made the selection, the bit to remain in colour, with the lasso tool, how do I now convert the remaining image to mono ??

This part of the game im very new to so all help is appreciated .. cheers :)

ricktas
12-04-2009, 3:11pm
invert the selection so everything else is selected, then convert to mono.

TOM
12-04-2009, 4:52pm
lot's of ways to do this one. if you really must do the selective colour thing, my recommendation would be to convert the image to mon and simply paint back the colour using the history brush. this is what i do in cs3, but i've never heard of gimp. you sure you want to do selective colour? :confused013

J.davis
13-04-2009, 12:29am
I agree with Tom :th3:

ricktas
13-04-2009, 7:11am
How did you go Darren? I posted originally based in the fact you had made the selection already, most likely on a single layer.

If you want to start from scratch, I agree with Tom as well.

Create a duplicate layer
Turn that top layer to mono
Then using masks/history brush/ eraser (differing methods given as I don't know what GIMP offers) remove the top layer where you want the colour to show through.

bigdazzler
13-04-2009, 8:12am
i kinda got distracted by the footy and didnt get to finish what i was doing .. :D

im not a big fan of the selective colour thing either, i think it has its place in some images but its not something im overly keen on .. im really just trying to learn more about PP .. Im trying to get my head around using layers and masks, Ive really got no idea about this stuff .. I really am a total noob .. i need to find some good basic tutorials to have a read of .. can anyone point me in the direction of something useful ??