PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Sigma 105mm Macro

Chris G
07-04-2009, 12:44pm
ok Im thinking about buying this lens: Sigma 105mm 105 F2.8 f/2.8 Macro EX DG..

What I would like to know is this model suited to use with a Nikon D40x?

ie: does it have a motor for AF like the Tamron 90mm macro Di lens..

also, between the len's, which would be better for super closenes and detail..

If anyone could help, would be muchy appreciated :th3:

TEITZY
07-04-2009, 1:08pm
Hi Chris,
The Sigma 105 does not have a focus motor but most 1:1 macro is manual focus so it's not a huge issue. If you are going to use it for portraits then a motor might be handy.

I don't think you will find a huge IQ difference between the Sigma & Tamron and both are 1:1 and have similar working distances.

Cheers
Leigh

Chris G
07-04-2009, 1:22pm
Thanks leigh, I just didnt want to order the lens and it havning the wrong lens mount.. lol

Though I have just order it, YAY new lens :D

TEITZY
07-04-2009, 1:32pm
Chris, I'm sure you will love your new lense (just be aware that macro is very addictive so this purchase may lead to financial ruin once you've aquired all the macro accessories :D ). My next purchase will also most likely be a macro lense (the new Tamron 60mm f2).

Cheers
Leigh

smorter
07-04-2009, 8:07pm
Probably better to get the Sigma 150mm Macro, that's a better lens

Chris G
08-04-2009, 9:18am
Probably better to get the Sigma 150mm Macro, that's a better lens

Unfortunitly upgrading my system came first, had some spare cash left over. So I got what I could afford. ;)

Core i7 920 quad 2.66GHz

Asus RAMPAGE-II-EXTREME LGA1366, X58, 6DDR3

Corsair 6GB (3x 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 RAM

Chris G
09-04-2009, 12:27am
Here's something I need to know, with the Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG do I need to ask for a nikon mount? or is the lens compatible both canon and nikon?

please reply ASAP as I think i may have stuffed my order lol

ricktas
09-04-2009, 6:13am
you need to ask for the mount you want. If ordering online, most sites either have a drop down menu so you can chose the mount, or have them listed separately, stating Canon Mount or Nikon Mount in the title of the product.

Chris G
09-04-2009, 9:01am
you need to ask for the mount you want. If ordering online, most sites either have a drop down menu so you can chose the mount, or have them listed separately, stating Canon Mount or Nikon Mount in the title of the product.

Funny enough there wasn't a droped down menu nor was I asked what mount I needed before they shipped off the item. Thats what you get for ordering stuff off ebay. My fault intirely I guess.

I wasn't even aware until I recived the email at 4:45pm yesterday stating it had been shipped off with a tracking number through DHL.

1 Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG MARCRO (Canon AF) x 1 :eek:

I started freaking out abit considering I just paid $700 for it the day before.

ricktas
09-04-2009, 9:15am
So you have ordered a Canon one? It will not work on your Nikon!

Chris G
09-04-2009, 9:30am
Yes apperntly I have, I have no ider what to do now but wait for the lens to arive and send it back in hopes of a refund. I sent them a email lastnight in regards to the matter, with no reply as yet.

I just dont understand why I wasn't asked what mount I needed, when it clearly stated for canon/nikon on the sale's site.

TEITZY
09-04-2009, 9:37am
Yes if it wasn't specifically stated what the mount was, then they should have emailed you to confirm that before shipping. If they are reputable sellers you should have no worries exchanging it for a Nikon mount.

Cheers
Leigh

Chris G
09-04-2009, 2:28pm
Here's an update and how lucky am I?

This is from the email they sent me.

Thanks for your email.

After confirming with our shipping unit, we would like to inform you that we did sent the lens in Nikon mount. Please note the “Canon mount” is default code for us to distinct such lens from other products in our stock. Please there is no need to worry about this.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Guess I'll be getting the right lens and mount after all.. It's going to be so goooood to take
some super macro shots once again. Funny enough it's how I started getting into photography 5years ago on a Olympus 750 Ultra that had 3cm focus for macro :)

Now Im excited in the pants again lol.

TEITZY
09-04-2009, 4:05pm
Good news Chris :D

Cheers
Leigh

mcdesign
09-04-2009, 4:38pm
That's a relief Chris. I have this lens and love it, it is fully autofocus too, you pull the focusing ring towards the top to engage AF, it is one thing that you have to watch.

This was taken with that lens. Margaret

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3283280273_9e0f543daa.jpg

Chris G
09-04-2009, 6:13pm
Unfortunitly Margaret,
for my model of camera, the AF wont work. Ony Sigma's HSM models have the built in motor that enable this feature / AF.

ie: Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM