PDA

View Full Version : Tagging help anyone

Dizzy Photographics
06-04-2009, 10:31pm
I'm sure there is probably a link to this somewhere in here already but i have tried for the last half hour to find something and no luck thus far.

I have sooooo many photos on my computer that i have had to take off and put on disc to free up room. All my images at the moment are still as 'image777.jpg' so makes it really hard to find what i am after. I know i can just rename it but i seriously cant rename 1000 photo's 'Jackson' is there a program i can use that will let me 'tag' them without actually changing the name of the file? I dont know, i am completely lost with it :confused013

jev
07-04-2009, 12:42am
What you need is either a good system to file them or DAM software where you actually can tag your images in. I have some experience with IdImager (http://www.idimager.com/), which works great. Others may suggest to use something simplier like Picasa or Adobe Bridge.

ricktas
07-04-2009, 6:15am
What software are you using now? Most recent image editing packages have something within them that allows you do tag them.

I change the name of all my photos on importing from the memory card as well as putting them in a well named folder and tagging them.

So mine might be in a folder called 2009 March Mt Wellington, with the name Mt_Wellington_sunrise3546.NEF (where 3546 is the original file number). I might then tag them with Tasmania, Hobart, Mt Wellington, sunrise, winter, snow.

When I process this file into various results, it always keeps the most of its name, so I can track back to the original NEF in years to come.

I use Lightroom for importing/naming and tagging mine.

if you have a heap of flies stored 'as is' at present, it could take you ages to tag them. Maybe its a better move to store them somewhere, and start only tagging images from today forward..you will get SOOO bored tagging the old ones.

Dizzy Photographics
07-04-2009, 7:39am
I don't tag anything hence wanting to know what people use to do it. I've only ever just renamed the file...but without thinking to actually leave the image number there with it like you do Rick lol. I use CS3 so i have Bridge. The only issue i have, and the primary reason i dont use it anymore, is that it disconnects me from my internet connection...no idea why but everytime i run it there goes my internet. After doing a search of my computer i have come accross a folder called Lightroom though it doesnt contain an exectutable.

Can i tag in Bridge like you do in lightroom Rick? Will just have to make sure i dont need anything internet based when i do use it. All my photo's are imported with my camera's program, but that is all i use that program for, am i actually able to use that to do the tagging aswell then? Gawd i don't know...i've woken up feeling very illiterate this morning lol

ricktas
07-04-2009, 8:07am
You should be able to tag using the camera software, but Bridge certainly lets you do it.

Dizzy Photographics
07-04-2009, 8:14am
Ok...cheers Rick. Think i will just shut up now and go and play with both programs and see what happens for me. Then, if i get stuck will come back and pick your brain some more :D Thank you :D