PDA

View Full Version : SATA 1/2/3 Differences?

wideangle
03-04-2009, 12:11pm
Looking at getting a new HDD and want to know if SATA 2 AND 3 plug into SATA 1? I have SATA1 at the moment, so are they all backwards compatible? I was assuming they were and the later models just have more speed? Lookin at the SATA2 models.

oldfart
03-04-2009, 4:54pm
If your board only has an onboard SATA One controller newer drives will work but at a reduced performance level.

Kym
03-04-2009, 5:04pm
OF is correct.
Gory details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

Tannin
03-04-2009, 5:31pm
As usual, the two old farts are correct. :) Note, however, that the reduced performance level is more theoretical than real, for two reasons. First, the key performance metric for hard drives isn't data transfer rate, it's average access time, which is completely unrelated to your conection (IDE, SATA 1, SATA 2, SCSI, or Kalafudgian). Second, theoretical data rates provided y the interface (SATA in your case) are always way, way higher than the actual internal data rate the drive is capable of. This happens because the drives themselves are electro-mechanical and quite difficult to make faster (read expensive, wait a few more years while they figure the next advance out), while the interfaces are purely electronic and relatively easy to change. So the actual data rate a state-of-the-art drive can deliver lags a long way behind the theoretical data transfer rate the SATA interface can handle, typically by about 5 years or so.

In short: it doesn't matter which one you get.

oldfart
03-04-2009, 5:42pm
OF is correct.

If I pass you on my wife's email address feel free to tell her of this miracle :)

Ronbo
03-04-2009, 5:49pm
If I pass you on my wife's email address feel free to tell her of this miracle :)

She is still unlikely to believe it....she may think you spoofed someones addy :D

Thanks for the info all..I too am getting ready to build a new system and haven't kept up to date with whats out there. Not that it matters anyway since what's new today is old tomorrow.

wideangle
03-04-2009, 10:10pm
Thanks for your help everyone.