PDA

View Full Version : "Taking Your Photography To The Next Level"

andrask
18-01-2007, 3:21pm
This article is both helpful and thought-provoking in the context of a photographer's development. Worth perusing and may even start some interesting discussions here.

From the Introduction:

Photographers go through stages of development, and while we don’t all follow the same path, an understanding of our current level of skill, creativity and artisty is, I think, an important exercise. If we know where we are and we have an idea of where we want to be, it becomes a lot easier to determine the path from here to there and to take steps to get us there. Most of us have never given much thought to where we are in terms of skill, creativity and artistry, and even if we did, are not necessarily good judges of our own skills and levels so this is not a trivial process. While gradually and continuously striving to improve does in the end result in progress, I propose that we find a better and perhaps more direct route to becoming better photographic artists.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/next-level.shtml

BTW the luminous-landscape site itself is worth sampling.

arthurking83
18-01-2007, 6:09pm
Unfortunately(for me) I'm always self critical and analytical of my ability.

I find I'm usually giving myself a 'F' in most things photography... never happy with what I shoot(after the fact).

I look at my stuff and then come to realise 'That's only half of what I originally saw"

At the moment tho I'm concentrating all my efforts on seeing and shooting, but trying to take less time to do so.
I'm sure I've explained previously I always use the tripod, usually as a means to slow down and think of the composition... I love landscapes (ATM).. so I seem to have got myself stuck in shooting them(traveling is also something else I regularly enjoy :th3:)

The kinds of shots on that link are something I'd like to be able to see, without seeing them first on someones' gallery ;)

ps. that's the kind of stuff my father-in-law does :th3:

I love Luminous Landscape, where I first learned to read about understanding the Histogram.

Great site for infomaniacs(Like me! :th3:)

Fez
18-01-2007, 8:28pm
A very interesting site Andrask, thanks for pointing us to it. I've bookmarked it to return to and study.

I always use the tripod,

So how did you get those recent water shots:confused: , almost looked like the camera was in the water?:)

arthurking83
18-01-2007, 10:30pm
Damn almost was!.. only about 6 inches. I think in one case, may have been less!!... more like 3" from the water! :eek:

:D

fully openable tripod legs are handy! ;)
(as opposed to the tripods that have a centre brace)

Jester
19-01-2007, 12:23pm
good find andrask,

These are the kind of images which even beginners recognize as flawed. In a set of 20 prints, 12 – 15 are rejected by the photographer as duds. It’s actually hard to be this bad in the age of auto focus and auto exposure but some find a way.

:D so true