PDA

View Full Version : Setting up your flash off camera for outside/indoor portrait?

latino
02-04-2009, 12:49pm
Hey guys,

Two of my friends (girls) have agreed to pose for some portrait pics probably outdoors at night or indoors but will probably be poorly lit.

What is the best way to set up a SB600 off camera to get good/creative lighting.

Thanks

ShaneB
02-04-2009, 8:55pm
I'm not sure what you mean?

IanB
02-04-2009, 9:00pm
Get a cable so it can be used removed from the camera>bounce it into a brolly or off a wall.

:)

ShaneB
02-04-2009, 9:28pm
Get a cable so it can be used removed from the camera>bounce it into a brolly or off a wall.

:)

The SB600 / D90 can be used wirelessly.

JM Tran
02-04-2009, 9:30pm
depends what sort of lighting style u are after

u can position the flash directly in front of the model and reflected into an umbrella to soften as well as spread out the light, for example

I am a keen user of edge lighting technique, where the flash is position directly to the side of the model or diagonally - this will light up one side more dramatically than the other - nice for fashion and artistic purposes, but not ideal for weddings and child portraiture for example - as it can be very edgy

campo
03-04-2009, 9:14am
put the 600 on the little stand it came with and either stand that on furniture or mount on a tripod stand!

Considering your models are willing participants, definitely take the opportunity to experiment with different setups (ie. bouncing of walls/ceilings, direct etc...)

Whilst the manual says put the SB600 in front of the camera when using wireless, I find that in a small rooms it will still fire when it's behind the camera :-)

latino
03-04-2009, 9:22am
Cool thanks guys =) I have never seen an SB600 or any flash used with an umbrella. Does it still work well considering it is not as powerful as strobe lighting???

saratoga
03-04-2009, 10:02am
Try putting the model near a corner in a white room. With the flash off to one side you will also get some fill on the opposite side of her face from the bounce in the corner. No need to actually show the corner!

campo
03-04-2009, 10:06am
Does it still work well considering it is not as powerful as strobe lighting???

I've not used a studio strobe but my 600 has always been ample light inside most rooms (of houses) i've used it in.

ehor
03-04-2009, 2:12pm
A kit like this might suit you
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5439.htm

Not sure how well the camera will talk to the flash with an umbrella in the way though unless you face the flash towards you, and you're shooting from behind the umbrella (flash firing through the umbrella).

bigdazzler
04-04-2009, 6:44am
I use my flash wirelessly (infrared) all the time through an umbrella .. they communicate fine. Make sure you post your results, good luck with it :th3:

latino
08-04-2009, 12:54pm
I think I may looking to that umbrella kit which was recommended earlier. I just can't see the small SB600 working well through an umbrella. If I could afford the SB900 well.. thats a different thing.

Would anyone have any examples of a flash of similar power and size to to SB600 used with an umbrella set up??

Cheers

ehor
08-04-2009, 3:46pm
Should be fine with the SB600 unless you're planning to overpower ambient.
Could always just up the ISO to 800 or so and drop the SS to 100.