PDA

View Full Version : For 41jas, FastStone Viewer Link

Analog6
31-03-2009, 8:31am
Here is the link to the RAW viewer/comverter/simple editor I wqs telling you about at the weekend meetup. http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

This is the blurb from the site, and it really does do all they say, I find it invaluable. Works on all Windows platforms including Vista.

"FastStone Image Viewer is a fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has a nice array of features that include image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping and color adjustments. Its innovative but intuitive full-screen mode provides quick access to EXIF information, thumbnail browser and major functionalities via hidden toolbars that pop up when your mouse touches the four edges of the screen.
Other features include a high quality magnifier and a musical slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram and much more.
It supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA) and popular digital camera RAW formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF, SRF and DNG). "

How I use it.

1. I download all the images from my media cards to folders using it, after first deleting any out of focus, blurry etc ones. It clears them from the card at the smae time. If you don't want to clear the card, you can use the Copy to Folder function.
2. I direct edit from it - once you have picked an editing program the first time (eg Photoshop) just pressing the letter E while a photo is selected will open the chosen editing program. So you can have a look full screen and check a pic with the magnifier in FS, then just click 'E' to go and edit it.
3. After editing my selected shots to a folder, I then use FS batch editor to convert/resize/frame and add watermark ready for the web, all in the one step.

I reckon it is brilliant.

Calxoddity
31-03-2009, 9:26am
Faststone is pretty good - I used it on the PC before I went over to the dark side (Mac). I was always torn between Faststone and Xnview: http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview.html

I never ended up making a choice - kept both on the machine for months.

Regards,
Calx