PDA

View Full Version : Sport shooting help (football)

Rison
27-03-2009, 5:12pm
Hi guys,

I am heading to the football (NRL the real kind of football :D ) this Sunday afternoon and i was wondering what settings you guys recon would be the best to use. This is the first time shooting anything like this so not really sure.

The gear i have to choose is in my signature i was thinking of just taking the 450D (of course), the 70-200mm II 2.8 Sigma, and the basic 18-55mm in case i want to take some close up of player etc.

The settings i was thinking of using was in TV mode at around 450-600 Shutter speed, and i just let the camera choose the aperture. I will use continuous shooting and AI focus mode.

Will the shutter speed be quick enough to provide sharp pictures? What metering mode should i use? And when your shooting sports like this what settings do you aim for?

Thanks in advance, Matt

ricktas
27-03-2009, 7:32pm
firstly. check out the NRL website, you might find they will not allow the 100-300 etc. Often you will also find that your cannot post the photos on a web-forum, they can only be used for private use.

If you find you cannot get your shutter speed to where you want it, you might have to increase the ISO to achieve it.

kiwi
27-03-2009, 7:37pm
Keep your shutter speed over 1/800s and your apperture wide open

I cant help with Canon settings

Rison
27-03-2009, 7:53pm
firstly. check out the NRL website, you might find they will not allow the 100-300 etc. Often you will also find that your cannot post the photos on a web-forum, they can only be used for private use.

I rang up the stadium there playing at and they said that there were no rules as to what camera and lenses you can take beside no video cameras at all everything else was fine. I looked on the NRL site and could not find any restrictions either. I will see if i can find some contact details and just double check with the NRL.

Keep your shutter speed over 1/800s and your apperture wide open

I cant help with Canon settings

Thanks, i am hoping it will be nice and sunny so i can have the shutter speed up high.

Matt

bigbikes
27-03-2009, 8:15pm
Hi Rison.
If I was you I would be using aperture priority and set you shutter speed up as high a you can. You shouldn't have any problems with your 70-200. (I'd be hoping to keep it above 800 as Darren said)
You may find that if you cannot achieve these speeds you will have to up your iso, might even have to put that up around 800/1600. Don't worry about the noise, that can be cleaned up later on.
Also for your AF mode I'd set it up on A1 Servo, and your metering mode on Evaluative.
Good luck with your shots
Look forward to seeing the results.
:food04:

R1titan
28-03-2009, 1:06pm
Hi Rison.
If I was you I would be using aperture priority and set you shutter speed up as high a you can. You shouldn't have any problems with your 70-200. (I'd be hoping to keep it above 800 as Darren said)
You may find that if you cannot achieve these speeds you will have to up your iso, might even have to put that up around 800/1600. Don't worry about the noise, that can be cleaned up later on.
Also for your AF mode I'd set it up on A1 Servo, and your metering mode on Evaluative.
Good luck with your shots
Look forward to seeing the results.
:food04:

^^The above
with the metering mode on Partial or Spot (metered on the players of course!)