PDA

View Full Version : GIMP resizing question ..

bigdazzler
26-03-2009, 9:17am
I use GIMP for editing my TIFF files. Once editing is done I save as JPG.

I then import the JPGs and use Photobucket for web display. I have my defaults on PB set to 1024 x 768 (PBs 17" screen preset) Most times, once up on the web, the pictures are below the 200kb limit but ive noticed recently that some are well beyond. Like up to 600kb?

Does anyone know why this happens with some files and not others ?? The JPG quality when saving is always the same so it couldnt be that ..

Is there a way I can set the file size in KBs in GIMP for the web before exporting the JPG?? The only sizing adjustments I can find is scaling, and it only offers pixels,mm,inches etc .. no file size options ..

pommie
26-03-2009, 5:34pm
When you save, use 'save as', when the pop-up opens click 'show preview in image window' this will calculate the file size for the compression set, and will update as you move the compression slider.
Very sharp and detailed images with a lot of colour will not compress as much as soft bland ones at the same compression setting, just the nature of the beast ;)

Cheers David

bigdazzler
27-03-2009, 9:21am
yea i get that i can use the quality slider to increase/reduce file size .. underneath the slider it says file size .. but for some reason it ALWAYS says "file size:unknown" Any thoughts on why ??

pommie
27-03-2009, 1:47pm
When you save, use 'save as', when the pop-up opens click 'show preview in image window' this will calculate the file size for the compression set, and will update as you move the compression slider.
Very sharp and detailed images with a lot of colour will not compress as much as soft bland ones at the same compression setting, just the nature of the beast ;)

Cheers David

:D :D :D

bigdazzler
30-03-2009, 9:42am
hahahaha sorry mate .. for a bloke that spends so much time on a computer youd think id know how to read by now :D

I got it down now. :th3: