PDA

View Full Version : Which monitor calibration device should I get?

CapnBloodbeard
25-03-2009, 8:38pm
So with my KRudd Birthday Bonus (well, it's my birthday in a month...close enough to a bday pressie) I'm looking at getting something for monitor calbration.

Either the Spyder2Express, or the X-Rite Eye 1

Vanbar has the former for $165, and the latter for $275 (well, it's the Eye One LT, but it has a free upgrade to the Eye One 2 software)

Or there's also the Spyder 2 suite inc PrintFix plus - http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/readmore.php?product_id=60745&id=115.64.232.1471237970542&user=&Item1=CALIBRATION&Item2=SOFTWARE&Item3= for $275

Of course, if I'm willing to spend that much, than the Spyder 3 pro also has to be an option...

Now, I don't really print at home much - it's just cheaper to print at a minilab (so on that note, the printfix software may not be overly beneficial....).

I don't print a lot of photos - and at this stage it's just for personal use (though I will be printing a few more to hang around the apartment), but I don't want to get the cheapest one and find it's too limiting...

I @ M
25-03-2009, 9:09pm
We bought a Spyder Pro 3 from Quality Camera who is a site advertiser. Fantastic service and the unit has paid for itself already, couldn't be happier.

http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=4003

I am sure there will be a few more replies about other brands and models, one thing is for sure though, they are all worth their weight in gold when it comes to getting accurate colours for printing.

smorter
26-03-2009, 1:00am
XRite i1 display 2 probably the better model but its also more costly though

I never understand the lite and standard version ($310)...you can download the software off the net, I don't understand why anyone would get the Standard version :S (except knobs like me who didn't know)

JM Tran
26-03-2009, 1:06am
I hire the Colour Monki calibration unit for 20 dollars for a few days, hire it once every 2-3 months - a lot better than paying over 600 dollars for the unit - and much better than the Spyder as well

this method is good if u do not move your monitor much, or at all, as the movements will move the LCD's liquid inside and affecting colour accuracy. If you work in a busy studio where monitors get moved around all the time, recommended calibration is once every 2 weeks.

I was told u can buy the older Spyder Express 2 and download the software for the newer Express 3, essentially upgrading without having to pay more - has anyone tried this

ricktas
26-03-2009, 6:21am
I hire the Colour Monki calibration unit for 20 dollars for a few days, hire it once every 2-3 months - a lot better than paying over 600 dollars for the unit - and much better than the Spyder as well

Would be interested in why you think the colour monki is better?

nisstrust
26-03-2009, 10:25am
FYI for those that care to read:

*** Sorry, although your scans of the magazine pages had some interesting information and results from their tests, you are breaching the Magazine's copyright by posting them on AP - Rick

saratoga
26-03-2009, 5:44pm
I use the little pantone Huey....seems to work ok for me. Got a good price when I bought it together with a graphics tablet.

CapnBloodbeard
26-03-2009, 6:09pm
Awesome - though do you have a higher res version? the text isn't quite readable...

JM Tran
26-03-2009, 8:36pm
Would be interested in why you think the colour monki is better?

simply because it gives the best colour accuracy out of all the calibration brands atm, and is the most ideal for a large studio or an office environment where there are many monitors, its ease of use in transferring the same profile across monitors is excellent

the magazine scan listed before it was removed supports my opinion, unfortunately its let down is the massive price difference - and is usually overlooked by small studio and individual photographers who does not see paying 600 bucks for it justified.

such as myself, so I just hire it for 20 dollars every few months to recalibrate:)

nisstrust
26-03-2009, 8:40pm
FYI for those that care to read:

*** Sorry, although your scans of the magazine pages had some interesting information and results from their tests, you are breaching the Magazine's copyright by posting them on AP - Rick

Whoopps... :o

ricktas
26-03-2009, 8:42pm
Whoopps... :o

Its OK, you can just post the links to your photobucket if you want (rather than link the images into AP) ..that way any copyright issues are all yours!:D

menz414
26-03-2009, 8:50pm
I haveSpyder 3 Pro and am ery happy with the results.

nisstrust
26-03-2009, 8:55pm
Cool :)
Links below to higher res pics:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/3387202864_60f8588719_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3386391165_f9eb6c66be_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3387204244_b0b9f574ec_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3466/3386392583_5557bdb593_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3564/3386393251_ba2948e83b_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/3387206204_d209b10480_b.jpg

CapnBloodbeard
26-03-2009, 9:35pm
simply because it gives the best colour accuracy out of all the calibration brands atm, and is the most ideal for a large studio or an office environment where there are many monitors, its ease of use in transferring the same profile across monitors is excellent

the magazine scan listed before it was removed supports my opinion, unfortunately its let down is the massive price difference - and is usually overlooked by small studio and individual photographers who does not see paying 600 bucks for it justified.

such as myself, so I just hire it for 20 dollars every few months to recalibrate:)

Where do you hire it from?

JM Tran
26-03-2009, 10:03pm
Where do you hire it from?

L&P Photographics in Adelaide

10 College Road
Kent Town
Adelaide SA
08 8363 1783

CapnBloodbeard
27-03-2009, 3:37pm
damn. Bit far from me (Melb) :P

nisstrust
03-04-2009, 11:19am
Well i brought the x-rite eye one LT with free upgrade to v2, calibrated my laptop, so no more colour management excuses from me. :)

Ended up going with the eye-one because i could not afford the $600 colourmuniki, despite me really really wanting to get it.

Tossed up between the spyder 3 pro and the eye one, but x-rite won it because i'll be getting a NEC monitor soon and NEC use the x-rite as its factory calibrating device for its professional series monitors.

:th3:

wideangle
03-04-2009, 12:22pm
If you say that you are getting prints from a mini lab, then maybe the more expensive calibration tools are not worth it, as you often pay a premium as the allow you to profile printers etc. If you are getting prints at a mini lab than the control is out of your hands to a large degree.

Bear Dale
03-07-2009, 2:44pm
I'm in need of a monitor calibrator. I'm leaning towards the Spyder model.

Can someone tell me how they work? I have dual monitors.
Will the calibrator make them both show pictures the same?
Do you adjust the monitor by software adjustment or by the monitor bezel controls?

Analog6
03-07-2009, 2:52pm
Maybe we district AP groups should get together to buy a good calibrater and then we could share it - it could do the rounds so each individual had it for a few days each 'cycle', and the cost would be small per contributor.
$600 / 10 is only $60 each.

Bear Dale
03-07-2009, 3:27pm
Thats not a bad idea. Even posting it registered and insured back and forth still adds up to a big saving.

ricktas
03-07-2009, 3:39pm
Maybe we district AP groups should get together to buy a good calibrater and then we could share it - it could do the rounds so each individual had it for a few days each 'cycle', and the cost would be small per contributor.
$600 / 10 is only $60 each.

I looked into this a while back and it breaches the use rules of purchasing them. I was going to buy an AP one and hire it out. But the issue was that the calibration device software is for use on up to two PC's. So as soon as more than two members have it installed, you are breached the EULA (same as making illegal copies of Photoshop etc).

Bear Dale
03-07-2009, 3:43pm
Thats a bummer. I was thinking that if you had been willing Rick, that anyone interested could have sent you the money until it was purchased or something along those lines.

Oh well, looks like I'll just have to buy one.

Are they easy/simple to use?

I @ M
03-07-2009, 5:53pm
I'm in need of a monitor calibrator. I'm leaning towards the Spyder model.

Can someone tell me how they work? I have dual monitors.
Will the calibrator make them both show pictures the same?
Do you adjust the monitor by software adjustment or by the monitor bezel controls?

The spyder will allow you to calibrate one of the monitors, the software controls the video card output via software, the monitor controls stay untouched after set up.

Are they easy/simple to use?

Yes ---- providing you get everything correct during the installation process. It even reminds you when to calibrate again based on your preferences.

pollen
05-07-2009, 4:58pm
damn. Bit far from me (Melb) :P

Our Uni photography club hires out X-Rite Eye One Display 2 units for $25, let me know if you're interested

TOM
05-07-2009, 6:20pm
i'm sure they all do a great job. i chose the gretag macbeth eyeone simply because it is what my lab uses.

Bear Dale
05-07-2009, 7:04pm
Cheers everyone for the replies :food04: