PDA

View Full Version : Noise Reduction Software

Michael
25-03-2009, 3:01pm
What noise reduction software does everyone use? are they worth the money and where do they fit into the workflow?

kiwi
25-03-2009, 3:04pm
Tried them all, settled on Nik Dfine.

Before I had the D3, ;), I would process in LR, load a photo into CS3 run Dfine plug-in and save it back again.

All pretty painless and easy and does generally a very good auto job on noise.

ricktas
25-03-2009, 3:14pm
I used to use Neat Image (and still do at times), but now use Nik Dfine as well.

Miaow
25-03-2009, 3:43pm
I have neat image but i havent really used it much - I tend to use the despeckle noise reduction thing in PhotoImpact mainly

Michael
25-03-2009, 4:17pm
Thanks guys,
Can I guess that the Nik Dfine is for Nikon's or am I totally off the mark? seems logical enough as both Rick & Darren have Nikon's.
Have looked at both Neat Image & Noise Ninja at this point but am open to suggestions.
They all seem to do a fair job of cleaning the image from what I have seen, although some do appear a little soft after this process, I gather the degree of softening is controllable? too much noise reduction equals increased softening?

kiwi
25-03-2009, 4:22pm
Nik Dfine is not owned by Nikon.

http://www.niksoftware.com/dfine/usa/entry.php

Any NR loses some detail. Though if you sharpen after doing NR it's not so bad.

You can download trial versions of them all

Whatever PP software you have will probably have some NR part too.

Don't worry too much about a little noise, it may not show too much when photos are printed or may even enhance some photos.

Michael
25-03-2009, 4:30pm
Thanks Darren,

Just had a look , appears to be quite user friendly, I like the idea of being able to use the brush tool to selectively apply the reduction where you want.

In hindsight probably a silly thought that it was for Nikon files, just thought it was funny that the first 2 replies were form Nikon owners and the software was Nik.

bigbikes
25-03-2009, 5:11pm
I used to use Neat image as well but then changed over to Noiseware Pro which is a great little plug in for ps, best part about it, its free.
:food04:

Michael
25-03-2009, 5:54pm
Thanks Peter will have a look at that as well.

kiwi
25-03-2009, 5:55pm
Free ? Looks to be costing here:

http://www.imagenomic.com/nwpg.aspx

Brett101
25-03-2009, 8:03pm
This is a semi loaded question, but interested to know.

Do any of these mainstream Noise reduction allow noise reduction by color.
ie, reduce noise in only the Blue in a picture, such as the sky.

Thanks
Brett

paulgh
25-03-2009, 9:28pm
Do any of these mainstream Noise reduction allow noise reduction by color.
ie, reduce noise in only the Blue in a picture, such as the sky.

Noiseware Pro does that. Not sure about the free version.

Cheers
Paul

dbax
25-03-2009, 10:30pm
I use Noiseware Pro, very happy, don't use it much know with the canon;)

bigbikes
25-03-2009, 10:49pm
Darren.
Im not sure what site i got it from as I have had it for a while now, but I know i didnt pay for it. If i remember correctly it was a site that had heaps of free plugins for ps.
:food04: