PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting RAW images into PS Elements 7.

Shane
25-03-2009, 11:28am
Hi Folks,
I'm a complete beginner to digital photography but have been busy experimenting and practicing with the help of this forum. Yesterday I took a heap of shots of my bike in RAW format. I can't get them into the PS Elements catalogue. If I use the PS download mananger it only puts them on my hard drive. A message comes up that says the files do not contain any supported file types. The same applies when I try to get the photos from my hard drive into Elements.
I'm using Photoshop Elements 7 for Dummies (If the shoe fits :rolleyes: ) Going by that I should be able to PP the RAW images in Elements.
I CAN download the RAW images into EOS utility that came with the camera.
It does say in the Dummies guide that each camera developer uses a different flavour of RAW and some developers use different RAW formats between models and that if so the plug in may not work. My camera is a Canon EOS 50D.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shane.

ricktas
25-03-2009, 11:39am
You need to install Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) to view/ edit RAW files : http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4365

Michael
25-03-2009, 2:08pm
I think ACR comes with Elements 7, version 6 did.

Have you tried opening any of these .CR2 files within the Elements editing space? when you do this they should automatically open Adobe Camera Raw ver ?
Then it's just a matter of saving them as .Tiff or .JPEG's after any tweaks you want to make. Tiff would be better though as it is lossless.

Michael
25-03-2009, 2:12pm
Removed, bad word fixed.

Kym
25-03-2009, 2:26pm
Bad word list fixed.

Michael
25-03-2009, 2:30pm
Thanks Kym

jev
25-03-2009, 7:59pm
I think ACR comes with Elements 7, version 6 did.
It does, but the for 50D support one may need to update ACR to the latest and greatest...

Michael
26-03-2009, 12:23pm
You are absolutely correct Jev, just realised that both Elements 7 & 50D came out at a similar time, so if you had purchased Elements early on it probably did not come with ACR support for the 50D.

Shane
26-03-2009, 1:31pm
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I never would have worked it out myself. I downloaded the plug-in last night and it still did not work. Silly me did not follow the installation instructions properly. Today I read them properly and followed the instructions to the letter and now I can open RAW files.

Thanks again, you guys Rock. :th3:

Michael
26-03-2009, 2:29pm
Good to hear Shane, I gather you did not have the latest update to ACR with support for the 50D?

djvkool
26-03-2009, 5:18pm
Hi

I am using PE 7 and I can edit CR2 from both 50D and 5D Mk2.
I'm pretty sure there is a small .dll that you need to download, as far as I remember you can download this small .dll from Irfanview website.

Give that a go and see if it helps

Shane
27-03-2009, 2:51pm
That's right Michael. I'm having fun with playing around with the RAW PP at the moment. I can definately see the RAW advantage.