PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Flash to 430EX for Canon 400D

uneek
24-03-2009, 10:38pm
New to this strobist business and am trying to get some help tracking down a flash that will work on my 400D but not cost a pretty penny.

I will soon have a set of Cactus V2, and I would like a flash to use with them for off-camera shooting, but also the ability for ETTL on camera.

Does such a flash exist that is manually adjustable etc? I have heard people using Nikon flashes such as SB26 etc. Is this a viable option?

cheers

jev
24-03-2009, 11:22pm
Not if you want to use E-TTL. Your best bet probably would be with Metz. Sigma perhaps (but be advised there are known issues with Sigma flashes on Canon bodies).

uneek
24-03-2009, 11:41pm
hmm...maybe I need to remove the need for ETTL and learn how to do this stuff the real way. With that in mind, I guess I should be looking at a Nikon flash? (only saying that as I have just watched the first part of the Strobist DVD and he recommends Nikon flashes even for Canon users).

After a quick look on ebay would something like a sb-24 be a good starting point?

Appreciate any help

jev
25-03-2009, 1:32am
Provided you're absolutely sure you never, ever want to use any automatic flash, the SB-24 would be a good starting point as any I guess. The question is: why?

I think it pays to get the requirements right first. If you ever want to do anything with on-camera flash, I would suggest to stick with brands that work with E-TTL (or even better with E-TTL II). What is the pricepoint you're looking at and why?

uneek
25-03-2009, 7:34am
max $200 I guess, but if I can get a known-brand flash cheaper that will do an adequate job for an amateur's first foray into playing with light.....

why? because i just spent a heap on a new Sigma 30 1.4

What needs to be set manually on a flash for each shot? (Assuming I'm using with a prime lens - if that makes any difference re not zooming). I have never owned a flash so sorry if that's a stupid question

Riverlander
25-03-2009, 8:37am
I think it pays to get the requirements right first.

I strongly agree with this sentiment.
If you buy anything other than a Canon (or another ETTL II flash) I am prepared to bet you will flounder around trying to learn the ins and outs of flash exposure, and then decide to get the Canon anyway.

ehor
25-03-2009, 10:52am
Maybe look at a Nissin flash for that kind of money.

As lighting conditions change, you will need to adjust the flash/camera to suit. Can become annoying at an event and such when you need to capture the moment so might be worth saving up a bit more to get what you want from the flash. You can never have too many flashes if you get in to the strobist way though (don't mean using them all but just as backup etc). :)

uneek
25-03-2009, 11:15am
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=17120&cat=256&page=1

seems OK, and about the right price. I assume it would obviously work well with the Cactus V2? It mentions something about built-in photo sensor which will trigger the Nissin when the built-in flash goes off.

MarkChap
25-03-2009, 11:41am
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=17120&cat=256&page=1

seems OK, and about the right price. I assume it would obviously work well with the Cactus V2? It mentions something about built-in photo sensor which will trigger the Nissin when the built-in flash goes off.

From that page you have linked to

Notes on Compatibility

1. Di622 (Canon version) will not work with EOS 5D Mark II, 1Ds Mark III, 1Ds Mark II, 1Ds, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark II, 1D, D60, D30 and EOS film cameras;.

2. Di622 is a dedicated flash for specified Canon DSLR cameras ONLY. It will not work with other models from Canon and other brands, nor will it work with off-camera flash trigger from Cactus and other brands.

Although I would think that they are refering to the E-TTL functions, but not sure, one would think that it would work in manual mode with cactus triggers

uneek
25-03-2009, 11:59am
Thanks for pointing that out! I'll email them for clarification

JM Tran
25-03-2009, 12:17pm
some tips I can give u about using old flashes is that try and buy the ones with optical slave abilities in them, like some Nikons ala SB80DX, SB24 (I think), SB25 does not have it

this means that on optical slave mode, your onboard flash will trigger these flashes wirelessly without having to buy a set of trigger/receiver

cheap cactus triggers will not give u ETTL, more expensive Radio Poppers would. But to use a Canon camera and setting off Nikon flashes - it will be in full manual mode and ETTL is moot

ehor
25-03-2009, 2:46pm
Although I would think that they are refering to the E-TTL functions, but not sure, one would think that it would work in manual mode with cactus triggers

I think it won't fire at all as it needs AF confirm or some other stuff to fire (even in manual mode).
I had a sunpak that was like that. Ended up putting in a 3.5mm sync port hooked up to the test button. :th3:

jev
25-03-2009, 8:19pm
Never heard of "Nissin". Found their website (http://www.nissindigital.com/Di622/) and it seems the 622 unit provides some possibilities to use it in slave mode but I don't know how well it works using Cactus triggers*. It can be controlled manually, but the reflector will most probably automatically zoom to 50mm when there's no camera attached, reducing the guidenumber to 35. Another thing: the unit goes into "stand-by mode within 2 minutes and even powers off in the 30 minutes after the power on or the last use of flash unit" (wording from the manual ;)). That makes it less than ideal for strobist use when not using the native slave-mode (which you don't when using Cactus' triggers).

Personally, I would look for a more known brand like Vivitar or Metz if you want something reliable.

*): Cactus triggers have a metal hotshoe - there's an explicit warning in the Nissin 622 manual not to use "metal type accessory shoes" since "it may give electric damage on the electrical contact of the flash hotshoe" (yes, probably translated in China ;)).

uneek
25-03-2009, 9:46pm
thanks for that

yep looks like I might as well fork out for a 430ex

If anyone else comes across this in future, this is what they told me when I emailed them:

"Please kindly note that the NISSIN 622 flash comes with a very special design. It has to be triggered only by a Canon TTL hot shoe and does not work with our wireless flash trigger.

In other words, it cannot be triggered by all third party hot shoe. You may test it with a Nikon or Pentax or Olympus cameras. Cameras from all these brands cannot trigger NISSIN 622 flash for Canon.

In other words, NISSIN 622 cannot be triggered by all radio triggers (not only from Cactus, but also from Pocket Wizards, etc.)."

Tannin
25-03-2009, 10:22pm
Canon have a new, cheaper flash just announced. Personally, I think it's hard enough learning flash photography with a same-brand unit, never mind mucking about trying to figure out the right way to interface and control a third-party one.

jev
26-03-2009, 12:59am
Yes, the shiney new 270EX is there, but with a GN of just 27 it's not really useful in a strobist environment...