PDA

View Full Version : TECH Head's needed here..

Chris G
21-03-2009, 12:54am
Ok here's the situation...

I recently moved to wollongong in the past week. Leaving only part's of my computer behind. Case, PSU, Mainboard & CPU, RAM, and a soundcard due to keeping the cost down coming over by plane.

What I brought with me is my GFX card and 4 HDD's as I did not wont to risk losing them in freight.

Now my brother has kindly lent me his computer which is still running APG, but the same CPU as mine (AMDX2 4600+), though his computer wasn't running at all. lol :rolleyes:

Ok so here's what I've done, being that my GFX card is a PCEx (ATI/AMD 4870). I changed over the mainboard for a DFI lanparty NF4 skt 939, that was laying around still in its anti static bag (thank god).

At this point I've conected only the basic's, CPU, GFX, 1 IDE HDD and a Antect 550w PSU, oh and 1 stick of 1Gb patrait ram.

Ok so here's where I've started to get problem's.

XP SP2 starts installing np's, has it format, setip file's ect. Untill it just lock's up during the finalization process. I think nothing to much of it, has happend in the past on other system's. Though 4 reboot's later and still the same problem.

Here's what I've done sofar in regard's to the lock up:

Have changed RAM from the 1Gb to 2x 512Mb stick's incase RAM was the issue.

Have changed over GFX Card from the 4870 to a 7800GTX X2, thought maybe the GPU was locking up for some reason, ie not getting enough power. Even though the system would say it didn't before it even got to the post screen.

Have changed the IDE cable for a new one, in chance of a rail being slightly damge/crushed.

Have reset the CMOS back to default using the jumper pin's. This was done after the change of GFX card's.

Made sure the CPU is sitting in the socket right and with enough thermal paste.

And Im still here getting the same problem (lock's up/ freezes) at differn't point's of the installation of XP..

I'am getting tired and I need someone's train of thought on the matter lol..

Chris

Kym
21-03-2009, 1:22am
Extremely hard to diagnose this remotely.
Guessing fault in...
1. Connections
2. PSU
3. Memory
4. Mobo

Chris G
21-03-2009, 1:42am
Extremely hard to diagnose this remotely.
Guessing fault in...
1. Connections
2. PSU
3. Memory
4. Mobo

Yeah I know kym, I've started to think it could be the mobo..

I mean I've eleminated the RAM unless it's the ram slot's itself which I've swaped around from DIMM 1 to 2 and DIMM 1 and 3. Even just tried 1x512 to see how'd that go. Waiting as I type.

PSU I can't, as I only have the one that could possible power either of the GFX Card's providing I don't go peaking them out. Though I could underclock, bringing the volt's down to save abit of power. If I can get XP installed that is lol..

Other than that, checked CPU temp, volt's ect with everything in normal range's.

Chris G
21-03-2009, 3:20am
Ok I've found that the mojo/mainboard will lock up with anything over 512Mb of RAM..

So window's has finaly been installed with no lock up's, even after a couple of restarts from installing driver's ect.

Solution To The Ram: Have no Ider at 3:30am.. LOL

Kodi
21-03-2009, 5:46am
That board supports up to 4Gig of Dual Channel ram.
Try a matched pair of sticks

Calxoddity
21-03-2009, 9:11am
That's an old-ish board if I recall - does it take DDR2 RAM or DDR? Some boards are also sensitive to the RAM speed and crack a sad if the RAM isn't all the same clock rating, or if you put too many sticks of fast RAM in.

Suggest you:
- check each RAM stick to confirm type and speed
- check BIOS to confirm RAM speed settings are AUTO or conservatively set
- confirm that the PSU has enough grunt to drive the graphics card on that connector
- and stop using all those apostrophes - it's driving me crazy! regards, systems, parts, problems, locks, pins, cards .... okay? ;)

Regards,
Calx
PS - (Rick - feel free to delete this bit if it's too much like advertising) There's a PC repair shop over in Warilla that might be able to help if you get stuck and they're open Saturdays, I think - Exetech. No doubt there's a PC shop in Dapto as well, but I know the Warilla one because my son works there sometimes...

Chris G
21-03-2009, 12:45pm
That's an old-ish board if I recall - does it take DDR2 RAM or DDR? Some boards are also sensitive to the RAM speed and crack a sad if the RAM isn't all the same clock rating, or if you put too many sticks of fast RAM in.

Suggest you:
- check each RAM stick to confirm type and speed
- check BIOS to confirm RAM speed settings are AUTO or conservatively set
- confirm that the PSU has enough grunt to drive the graphics card on that connector
- and stop using all those apostrophes - it's driving me crazy! regards, systems, parts, problems, locks, pins, cards .... okay? ;)

Regards,
Calx
PS - (Rick - feel free to delete this bit if it's too much like advertising) There's a PC repair shop over in Warilla that might be able to help if you get stuck and they're open Saturdays, I think - Exetech. No doubt there's a PC shop in Dapto as well, but I know the Warilla one because my son works there sometimes...

AMD X2 4600+ Skt939 / DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR DDR400, 4Gb support

check BIOS to confirm RAM speed settings are AUTO or conservatively set

I went through the BIOS lastnight before heading off to bed for one last look and found in the DRAM settings a few things that where set on default. eg: Twr,Twtr,Twcl ect ect to stuff I know the Patrait or the 2x 512 of Kingmax stuff :eek: can't use.

Anyway, I've set all these to auto with 1Gb of Patriot ram DDR 3200/400 in place, which has seemed to make the system stable. Where the other stick of Patriot ram is I have noider, either dose my brother :confused013 ..

I knew it was something stupid, but at 3am my brain tend's to get abit mushy.. :crzy:

In regard's to taking it to a retail shop for fixing, something I will never do lol, take no afence and Im not trying to sound over the top either matey..

I don't even buy part's from retail shop's, everthing is brought through major computer wholesaler's with the like's of Achivea and Antec computer's.

Basicly I used to run a computer buisness some years ago now, but still have contact's with most companie's I brought stuff through for clients.

Though I thankyou and appreciate everyone's expert advice on the matter.. :D

Chris