PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cinema Display 20" How Good?

wideangle
19-03-2009, 8:55pm
I am looking into buying a new high quality monitor and want to get it right first time around. 16BIT colour, 8-BIT is what I am after and if anyone who has searched for specs on screens knows that this can be hard to find.

Anyhow I have been looking at the Dell 24" screen for $999 which is a VA panel, but I walked past my local Mac shop the other day and noticed that their screens were viewable from the footpath even at around 170 degree! I went in the other day with some photos and looked at them on the 24" Mac which from first glance was very nice (no colour gradition breakup etc), I would have to buy the whole system for $2500, but they did have the Apple Cinema Display 20" models for $899. Has anyone used these for critical photography work? I am looking at this model as its PC compatible as well.

djvkool
20-03-2009, 1:38pm
hi

I know someone who has been using the 30" cinema display to do imaging, but according to him a specialized LCD (Like Eizo) gives him a lot better and more accurate result

DanNG
21-03-2009, 3:45pm
The ACD 20" is fantastic, S-IPS panel.. and a very good monitor for the money.
A panel of the same quality but larger would be the NEC2490luxi, this is around $1500-$1600 mark..

wideangle
22-03-2009, 2:50pm
Thanks for your comments. That's cool to know that its an IPS panel, thought it may be VA. It's annoying that manufactures rarely show these details. Was also looking at the Apple 24" of the same version, which is $1500.

I just think that screens are one of the most under-rated items in the photographers toolkit. I mean we spend thousands on camera gear, yet I reckon many have screens that are >$400 TN panels.