PDA

View Full Version : Challenge V : How to critique

ricktas
19-03-2009, 7:46pm
Now comes an interesting challenge for those New To Photography.

It is great to learn new skills from the challenges here and improve your photography. Along with the challenges, other members also contribute by giving you constructive criticism (CC) of your photos to help you improve. To contribute on Ausphotography, you also need to learn how to give constructive criticism to other members. So this challenge doesn’t require you to go out and take photos, but rather look at a particular photo and give some constructive criticism about it.

I don’t want to see comments like “I like it, great photo, wow, that’s great…etc”. I want to see well thought out responses. There is a guide below, which might help you along your way.

Now to be fair, this photo is one of mine, I have a thick skin and won’t take offense to anything a New To Photography participant says about it. Just take some time look at the photo, use the guide to help you. Remember you do not have to agree with what others have said, Say what YOU think.

I look forward to seeing your responses.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/Labradors/critique.jpg

The concept
* A photo is presented for a full on critique.
* Members are invited to critique the photo in full, and also learn from others critiques, and apply what they learn to critiquing other member photos on Ausphotography.

Critique - how to guide

Things to consider
* Subject
* Composition
* Emotive response/connection
* Visual impact
* Lighting
* Posing (when applicable)
* Technical details (exposure, colour balance, contrast)
* Treatment (mono conversion, sharpening, dust spot removal etc)

Critique the composition/subject choice
Is the main subject in the centre of the frame? Is it on a third? Somewhere else? Does the chosen composition work, or would you have done something differently? Look at the composition or content in the photograph. What is the centre of interest in the picture? Where did the photographer place it in the frame? Did the photographer get close enough to the subject to include only what is important, or are there wasted parts of the picture with elements that do not add to the message of the photo? Would the photo have been improved if the photographer had taken it after changing location (ie moved 2 steps to the left) Is the main subject in focus? Is it sharp focus, or a "soft" focus? Is the focus appropriate for the situation?

Emotional Impact
How does the photo connect with you on an emotional level? Does it remind you of happy times, sad times, traumatic experiences, a sense of excitement or acheivement? Why does it invoke these emotions? Do experiences from your past influence how you perceive the photo? Maybe the subject is your favourite sporting star, or a tropical island reminiscent of your honeymoon or a much remembered holiday. All these things impact the way you see the photo you are critiquing. Comment on this, cause your emotive connection will be different to the next person's.

Fore, Middle, and Backgrounds.
Does the photo contain all three? If not, do you think it would be better if it did? Next, observe the areas outside the main subject in the photograph. How did the photographer represent these areas in regards to focus and depth of field? Is the DOF shallow or deep? Does the DOF work in this shot, or should more (or less) of the photo be in focus? How do these areas of the photograph add or distract from the message of the photo? If there is an horizon, is it straight and level?

Cropping/Framing.
Is there wasted empty space is the photo? Should the crop have been tighter? Is it cropped so tightly that important parts of the photo have been cut off?

Colour / Tonal Range.
What type of colours do you see? Did the photographer use a lot of primary colours? Secondary? Complementary? Are the colours too vivid? Not vivid enough? Is the light soft or harsh? Does the type of lighting enhance or detract from the things in the photo? Is the white balance set correctly? Is there a yellowish, orangish, blueish or greenish cast to the photo?If you are looking at a B&W photo, is there a true black, true white, with a large tonal range in between, or is the photo too "gray"?

Leading lines.
Do the lines and overall composition make you want to look deeper into the photo? Is your eye drawn into the photo, or out of it?

Balance.
Is the photo "balanced"? Would it be better if there were other objects or other light/dark areas in the frame to improve the balance? If the photo is off balance, is there a reason for it?

Exposure.
Is any area overexposed or underexposed? If so, can you say why you think that happened? How could the photographer prevent this problem in the future?

Finally, offer your own personal feelings on the photograph. What do you like about the selected subject? Is it an emotional shot, a story, a statement, a humorous photo? What would you do differently if you had the chance to take the same photograph?

Examples
You could just say "Great photo", but why not add that bit more "Great photo, I really like the colours of the sunset, the clouds grab my attention"

'I like this", why not add "I like this cause its not an insect I have seen so close before, I didn't realise they had incandescent wings"

Summary
Constructive critiquing is a learned skill, start off easily, and just add a sentence to your comment. Do not try and write whole paragraphs to start with. Read others critiques, look at the points they raise and look at the photo. Learn from what you read. Not only will the skill of critiquing well, help the photographers you critique, but it will help your own photography as you take on board what you learn reading others critiques.

Dan AU
19-03-2009, 8:14pm
Hi Rick I like the photo..here is my first attempt at giving a more thoughtful and decent critique...

It is showing the 2 labs walking along the trail, I think the front dog could be in focus so we see more of the expression and details in the face.

The composition seems fine to me with dogs on trail and dof sufficient to make the dogs the main subject matter.

I am a dog lover however I do not get a big impact other than a couple dogs walking along with their owner enjoying a walk.

Lighting and exposure are pretty good, I think it could be a little sharper although you were walking along in a darkened forest area and you would have likely been hand holding for this shot and having a longer exposure to compensate for the light.

Dan

I have tried to use the guideline, it is still not an easy process :) Hope this is the type of thing you were looking for and look forward to having my critique, critiqued.

yummymummy
19-03-2009, 8:19pm
This could be a great photo if the dogs were in focus more. The focus, in my view is on the ferns and the ground below the dogs. colours look good though, so maybe a faster shutter speed(?)or the use of a tripod might help, to capture them as if they were frozen in time. It would be nice to see the expression on the old dog in front's face. :)

ricktas
19-03-2009, 8:23pm
Great work Dan and Kirsty. Keep an eye on this thread and look at what others say. I hope you find you can use this guide to start improving your comments on other members photos.

yummymummy
19-03-2009, 8:24pm
thanks Rick, it's a great thread, as are the rest of them in the New to Photography section, I find myself just losing myself in there lately trying to better my photos :D Thanks for a wonderful site!! :)

Laurie
19-03-2009, 8:28pm
Mmh! My attempt!
I like the composition and the feeling of movement of the dogs running towards the camera. I believe the dogs are the point of focus so think they should both be in focus rather than the ferns surrounding them. I also wonder if the dogs aren't a little over exposed? Have to say though, that I don't think I would have achieved any better under the circumstances!

enduro
19-03-2009, 9:14pm
I prefer to see some EXIF info & though it's not essential for a full critique I do prefer it posted or intact. Your use of vignetting is quite appealing.

The image is sharp enough. Though an acceptable DOF was implemented, the key focal point appears to be between the two animals rather than using it to empower a key subject. #1 Lab is not only OoF, but shows unacceptable movement (particularly in the head).

There is some interesting use of foreground [OOF ferns on the bottom right], surroundings are inviting. A portrait crop with attention to the Rule of Thirds (or other compsositional standard) might show off the leading line of the path way and enhance the key subjects some.

What to do next time?: Focus on lead dogs face, perhaps at a lower angle. Compose the shot through the view finder to detail points of interest and buy a Canon. ;):D

Jcas
19-03-2009, 10:04pm
Hmmm being a doglover i would like for the dogs to be a bit sharper and i would crop a bit around the sides and a bit at the rear, i think the exposure is as good as it could be in those surroundings.

The dogs following the track in the center of the pic works good for me. But i think if leading dog and foreground were a bit more focused, it would look like they were going somewhere, and that they were clear of where they were going.

I like the background part of the trail blurred, it sort of says this ground has been covered.

ricktas
19-03-2009, 10:07pm
thanks guys. I thought someone would comment on the front dog's tail partially obscuring the second dogs face.

Good to see you having a go at this, as its the best way to learn, by practising on a photo. I might do another challenge like this in the next week or two.

Looking forward to more critique on this one.

Jcas
19-03-2009, 10:14pm
I thought someone would comment on the front dog's tail partially obscuring the second dogs face.

I noticed that but my dogs are always getting a mouthfull of hair from another dogs wagging tail if they are standing behind, i seen that as normal doggie behaviour and something one would/could expect to see in a doggie pic... :):)

saratoga
20-03-2009, 12:58am
Great thread Rick......I don't think anyone learns from comments like great photo, nice shot or very cute...but I'm guilty of often doing that myself. Everyone can learn from CC of their images, from what people say about others images, and from having to sit down and actually think a photo through as you are encouraging in this thread and in the forum in general. Great work and am really enjoying the whole site!

Here's mine

I like the fact that the lighting(and vignette) in the image immediately focus your attention in on the dogs.....although unfortunately the main subject...the lead dog is unfocused. Pretty difficult to get things in focus when they are moving towards you quickly.

The image is generally well exposed although with the vignette I find the bottom corners a bit too dark as they lack any detail (may just be my monitor!). The saturation could be tweaked just a little and the whole image could do with a good sharpen....although this unfortunately wont fix the dog!

I know it's completely natural and was there in the scene, but I find the small brown leaf sitting in the ferns (across to the left and up from the second dog) a bit annoying, and would just clone it out

Not sure if you also tried it in portrait format...I think it may have worked better.....at the moment it's all a bit too central.....central dogs...central vertical line of the track. Perhaps stepping off the track a couple of paces so that the path cut a kind of diagonal down through the image with say the dogs in the top third of the image in the corner. I think protrait format would have also given the image more of a "sense of place" ... showing more of the forest.

Anyhow just my thoughts on the image.

Look like a nice couple of mates to go walking with...although I bet they dont share your patience when it comes to image taking!

cheers

mrsgrumblebum
20-03-2009, 9:41am
Fantastic thread Rick as I'm not always sure how to make constructive criticism.
First to raise hand and say I'm guilty for just saying nice shot, I like it etc.

Ok my view,

I really like the photos except the dog in the front his/her face could have been more in focus so that his/her face was clearer. May be try not to have dog 1's tail obscuring dog 2's face. You could try to crop image a little as my eye wanders down to the lower left hand side in the darker bit.
But all in all a lovely photo of 2 dogs having a lovely time running through the bush with lots of different smells to intrigue them.

MarkChap
20-03-2009, 10:27am
Whilst not particularly new to photography I still have a lot of concern / trouble with CC
So I will have a go.

Rick,
Good attempt, the colour in this photo looks quite good
Although drawing the eye to the dogs, for me, the vignett is too much.
Unfortunaely the main subjects are both out of focus
With the angle you have used here I think that if you had focused on the second dog this shot may have worked.
As with children I prefer to see these types of photos taken from eye level (or very close to it) with the subject, this adds a different perspective. Everybody always sees our pets from up high.
The shallow depth of field, the dark vignett, and no sharp focus point all lead to this particular photo lacking any interesting detail.
As i said you have got good colour, so you are well on the way.

ricktas
20-03-2009, 10:55am
Thanks Guys, Mark, I did the vignette a bit strong on purpose (along with a few other edits to to the photo)- good to see someone agrees with me. The central position of the dogs was also done via cropping, to give members things to give great feedback and suggestions on.

I might post another of these in the next few days, to get members into the swing of critiquing and understanding what others look at, and comment on.

Chris G
20-03-2009, 11:26am
Well I too find very hard to just to express my thought's on a photo. I find it harder enough with my own.

First thing I noticed about the photo, was the dog's out of focus / blured motion of the dog's coming toward's the camera. I think using a faster shutter speed with continuous shooting would have produced a better resault here.

Though being in a wet forest from the look's of the photo, I'd say the lighting prob wasn't that great for a faster shutter speed to be used. In saying that maybe applying a higher ISO also would of over come this.

As some other people have said, the tail of the dog in front is distracting the dog behind her/him. This is most probably alway's going to happing with 2 dog's running straight toward's you in a straight line. For this you could try stepping out abit more to the left or the right to over come the wagging tail of the dog in front.

Ok how's that rick?

ricktas
20-03-2009, 11:47am
good work,

for some background info. Shot with My D3 and a 150mm macro lens. I had been out shooting fungi. On the walk back my dogs ran off and I grabbed them on the way back, but this was a grab shot, on auto, so the blur was created by movement in the low light.

MarkChap
20-03-2009, 12:33pm
Thanks Guys, Mark, I did the vignette a bit strong on purpose (along with a few other edits to to the photo)- good to see someone agrees with me. The central position of the dogs was also done via cropping, to give members things to give great feedback and suggestions on.

I pretty much figured that Rick, being that this photo is so far from your usual standard, but I really wanted to have a go at this.
There were a few other things I was going to mention, the centre composition etc, but figured that a CC that lists a few things would be more encouraging than listing everything that I thought was wrong.

We need to remember that in attempting to encourage that we don't discourage peolple by highlighting every little nit pic.

This is a very good excercise

NikonNellie
20-03-2009, 5:41pm
Well here goes Rick:

Firstly I personally would have tried to capture the dogs further back along the path to give a greater sense of where the dogs are heading and I would have stood more to the left so that I could angle the camera more to capture the second dogs face rather than having the front dogs tail obscuring it. The front dog's face appears to be OOF slightly resulting in a lack of detail in the dog's expression which to me would convey more atmosphere in the photo.
I really like the lighting and the vignette - to me it gives a sense that the dogs are heading into a more dense area of undergrowth.
Colour is ok but I feel that some of the highlights have blown out a little and there could be a little more contrast to make the picture "pop" out at you.
Overall, I like the concept. It conveys to me that the dogs are out for an "adventure".
Good try.....keep up the good work.

Cathi
20-03-2009, 5:48pm
Well, here's my go at critiquing ;)

I was actually going to mention about the front dogs tail being in the way. But with dogs, you can't control their tails LOL
I wonder if it needed to be cropped in a little tighter (maybe portrait?), with not so much in the way of ferns to distract from the main focus.. the dogs. The front dog is OOF and maybe needed a faster shutter speed to prevent the blur of the tails moving?

I probably bombed at this, but I gave it a go LOL

ricktas
20-03-2009, 5:58pm
Cathi, no such thing as bombing at it, its YOUR opinion and views. Good comments!

Hope everyone who has posted here, feels they could go into the members photos area and do the same thing on a members photo.

41jas
20-03-2009, 6:10pm
The dog's nose at the back is too close to other dogs %$#@...:D :D :D

ricktas
20-03-2009, 6:18pm
The dog's nose at the back is too close to other dogs %$#@...:D :D :D

Hmmmm. There is always one! :D

Seven
20-03-2009, 7:49pm
What an interesting topic Rick and I must say firstly I am prob a person that wouldn't comment on the photo for the reason I dont like the photo.

Only reason I would not comment is I don't like to write anything that would offend, but as you asked I will write what I would if I were to say something.

My way of thinking is too comment on what I like and comment in that way as I don't beleive I am experienced enough to comment of the more experienced. I guess this will change as I learn and develop my skills, but feel I am not totally ready to give to much cc.

Here is what I would say - Rick I think the photo has merit, but feel the front dog would of looked better in focus and maybe suggest try adjusting the exposure a little as it looks as if it needed to be a bit brighter.

Would of loved seeing this angle a bit lower down to the dogs point of view as I think it would of looked a better overall shot, but you made not of got the second dog in view. Oh and as others have already said that damm tail got in the way. Looks like it was a nice place to take photos and maybe suggest when you get back there some different angles of similar shots if you get the chance.

41jas
20-03-2009, 7:55pm
Hmmmm. There is always one! :D

:D :D Sorry Rick i couldn't help it. :o

ricktas
20-03-2009, 8:07pm
What an interesting topic Rick and I must say firstly I am prob a person that wouldn't comment on the photo for the reason I dont like the photo.

Only reason I would not comment is I don't like to write anything that would offend, but as you asked I will write what I would if I were to say something.

My way of thinking is too comment on what I like and comment in that way as I don't beleive I am experienced enough to comment of the more experienced. I guess this will change as I learn and develop my skills, but feel I am not totally ready to give to much cc.

Here is what I would say - Rick I think the photo has merit, but feel the front dog would of looked better in focus and maybe suggest try adjusting the exposure a little as it looks as if it needed to be a bit brighter.

Would of loved seeing this angle a bit lower down to the dogs point of view as I think it would of looked a better overall shot, but you made not of got the second dog in view. Oh and as others have already said that damm tail got in the way. Looks like it was a nice place to take photos and maybe suggest when you get back there some different angles of similar shots if you get the chance.

You won't offend people if you comment as you did here. Talk about the photo, what you feels works, what doesn't and why you feel that way.

If you feel unsure, add the words "In my opinion", even if others disagree, they have to respect that you are entitled to an opinion. You may feel unready to give CC which the whole point of this challenge, to prepare you and give you some guidelines to help you feel more comfortable.

Kym
20-03-2009, 9:52pm
Ok, lets consider how to critique an almost perfect photo? POTW 140 as an example!

Easy! Just pick the things that are right. Much better than saying (only) 'fantastic shot'!

What's right in this photo... Why did so many vote for it?

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=26801
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/POTW/Week%20140/Darksome.jpg

enduro
20-03-2009, 10:04pm
I could spend 20 min writing about this one!

Unfortunately I have pasta on the stove so I will reply later.

:D

Jcas
21-03-2009, 8:16am
What i see spot on here is first and foremost clarity of subject, excellent exposure showing the finest detail in feather texture, bird captured in an expressive moment all against a lovely bokeh background.

ricktas
21-03-2009, 8:22am
I will give Richard's photo a go as well.

Great pose! I like how you have the line of the branch and the bird's tail running parallel, makes for a great composition here Richard. The end of the branch leaning to the left and the birds head turned to the right, really balances the photo. Very sharp and good DOF. The clean background means we focus on the bird and are not distracted by the background at all. The colours are very natural, just what we would expect to see if this bird appeared in front of us. The small catchlight in the eye really gives shape and the feeling of life to the bird. If anything, I think I would have liked as slightly bigger depth of field, so the entire branch was in focus, which would have also made the end of the tail a bit sharper as well, but very well taken and processed photo.

NikonNellie
22-03-2009, 7:19pm
Here's my CC for Richard's photo.

The first thing I notice is how the bird just pops out at you - this has been achieved by a number of different factors:
* The DOF is spot on, enhanced by the simple bokeh background.
* The clarity and detail in the bird's eye, beak and feathers.
* The interesting pose of the bird. Having the bird off centre and looking as if it has either spotted something or is looking at the direction it will fly to next.
Well done. Keep up the good work.

AmPhot
22-03-2009, 8:12pm
My attempt at Richard's shot :

Sharpness, sharpness and sharpness ! Great composition, parallel lines between the bird and the branch it's clinging too. Great DOF.
Great work.

enduro
22-03-2009, 8:50pm
This image is a very good learning tool and gives us all something to aspire to.

Lighting is very even - perhaps a little too even - but shows excellent detail throughout. The natural sharpness together with the pose gives life to the subject. A little more DOF would have brought the stick out a tiny bit, but the presented DOF gives the subject all the detail it needs to have.

Bokeh is a soft, silvery swirling mist, almost ethereal.

The composition in this capture is superb, it meets many or the elements of good composition: Golden Triangle and Golden Spiral (in particular) and this has only been improved by the crop which has allowed for just the right amount of negative space about the image.

Jcas
22-03-2009, 9:27pm
Thanks for those pointers enduro, very interesting.

Kym
22-03-2009, 9:38pm
This image is a very good learning tool and gives us all something to aspire to. <snip>
Thanks for that! Excellent!

So far we have an image that had obvious issues and one that is a top class photo, in each case you can give a good CC.

It is a challenge, but to notice what is right in an image is just as important (or more so) than the negatives. When you recognise what's right you can use that knowledge when capturing your own images.

For those that have not done so already - have a go at writing a short CC of one or both of the images.

enigma82
16-06-2009, 10:42am
One thing I noticed about this picture is that both dogs' eyes appear completely black and empty - I'm not sure if there is a way to get a "glint" out of their eyes (as I'm new to photography, wouldn't know if there's a technique for this). I learned in an art class that adding light to the eyes makes them come to life, I think that would help in this photo too. Not sure if anyone else has brought this up as I haven't read through all the replies.

ricktas
16-06-2009, 11:11am
One thing I noticed about this picture is that both dogs' eyes appear completely black and empty - I'm not sure if there is a way to get a "glint" out of their eyes (as I'm new to photography, wouldn't know if there's a technique for this). I learned in an art class that adding light to the eyes makes them come to life, I think that would help in this photo too. Not sure if anyone else has brought this up as I haven't read through all the replies.

Very good point, and yes there are ways to give them 'catchlights', the most common is to use a flash.

geedee
16-06-2009, 4:37pm
I will have a shot at this before reading the other posts. Critique is a very week point of mine .
The front dog is out of focus which is the main subject. your eye is drawn to the lead dog because of the brightness then up to the top of the frame and out due to the straight on view of the path. May have been better if the path run at an angle within the frame. This may be a bit hard to achieve due to the amount of scrub around the pathway. Also a crop with the dogs in the top third of the frame and more vacant path in front of them.
Still a good shot considering the dogs a running toward you. i dont think my reflexes are that good.
Regards GeeDee

davwhite
16-06-2009, 5:47pm
This is fascinating reading as I am very outspoken on critiques that just say 'very nice' etc.
It is a great learning curve and if you haven't given a reply because you are afraid that what you say will be wrong, then stop worrying and do it!

As for the bird pic, it is so perfect I could say that the bird is stuffed (literally) and fixed to the branch :eek: But I wouldn't say that.
The lighting is perfect, it is sharp and the main thing to me is that when you first see it you are fixed on it, in a stare, for example.
Someone mentioned exif data missing and that is another of my sore points, so please put it in so people can learn and comment on the technical aspect.

Kym
16-06-2009, 6:20pm
Someone mentioned exif data missing and that is another of my sore points, so please put it in so people can learn and comment on the technical aspect.

A lot depends on what software is used and individual's workflow. Eg. BDsizer strips exif.
So while nice to have I can live without out.
Also if upload here there is a 200Kb limit - so leaving exif off can help filesize.

old dog
16-06-2009, 6:22pm
I`d like to see the dogs right back on the path with the path leading back to them.
Use a higher iso so you could have a bigger dof and faster shutter to get the dogs in focus as well as the plants and more of the path.
Or get down lower to the ground with a wider angle lens to get the dogs coming straight at you.

Nickd1969
16-06-2009, 7:05pm
A lot depends on what software is used and individual's workflow. Eg. BDsizer strips exif.

I use BDsizer and there is a box I can tick to leave the exif on...almost all my pics have it included ;) And I can still set the pic size to 200 including exif. :)

p.s. sorry, didn't meant to go OT :o

geedee
16-06-2009, 7:19pm
As has been said before every thing is just perfect the pose of the bird in relation to the branch which was stated in a previos post, sharpness and composition all great.
Even down to the photograhers watermark the size and style doesnt intrude on the image.
An image that you could look at for hours
Top marks for the Image and this thread, makes for some pretty good reading.
GeeDee

Calelli
16-06-2009, 7:21pm
This is by far the hardest thing to do. I often find that I know immediately whether I like something or not (whether it be a painting, music or a photograph). Working out which components make it pleasing (or not) is something I find really hard.

Here’s my take on the dogs to start with...

I think I would crop the photo in to reduce the amount of bracken (but still leaving it to frame the dogs and footpath). The dog in front needs to be brought into focus. The dog behind seems a little over exposed and his position could benefit from a slightly different angle so that he can be seen clearly. I do like the DOF with the bracken blurring in the foreground and also into the back ground.

For the bird…
If only I could take something half as good as this! What a great pose. I love the DOF (there is nothing to distract you away from the bird). The clarity is wonderful with individual small feathers being visible. I also really like the contrast of the blue eye against the muted colours of the feathers and back ground

ricktas
16-06-2009, 7:31pm
Good work everyone. Now go across to the members photos and find a few to do the same thing to. It does get easier with practice.

Papillon
07-07-2009, 3:29pm
Hi Rick, I deliberately haven't read any of the other responses yet. I will dive straight in so as not to be influenced by other opinions then go and read the rest of the thread afterward.
The first thing that strikes me is the soft focus on the first dogs face, it needs to be much sharper, also both dogs look over exposed. Perhaps a slower shutter speed may have helped both these aspects. I find the second dogs face being partially covered by the lead dog very distracting too, I think moving to the left a little could have improved the composition a lot by revealing the second head more. I like the way the dark OOF foliage frames the shot, I think it draws the eyes toward the subject well. I think the DOF looks pretty right with the trail behind the dogs OOF and drawing me gently down the trail.
Hmm, that's a lot of critique. I hope I don't sound too cocky with so many comments.:o

ricktas
07-07-2009, 3:47pm
Hi Rick, I deliberately haven't read any of the other responses yet. I will dive straight in so as not to be influenced by other opinions then go and read the rest of the thread afterward.
The first thing that strikes me is the soft focus on the first dogs face, it needs to be much sharper, also both dogs look over exposed. Perhaps a slower shutter speed may have helped both these aspects. I find the second dogs face being partially covered by the lead dog very distracting too, I think moving to the left a little could have improved the composition a lot by revealing the second head more. I like the way the dark OOF foliage frames the shot, I think it draws the eyes toward the subject well. I think the DOF looks pretty right with the trail behind the dogs OOF and drawing me gently down the trail.
Hmm, that's a lot of critique. I hope I don't sound too cocky with so many comments.:o

Not cocky at all Rob, we want members to be honest and up front in their critiques. As you look down the thread you will find more images, have a go at those too, cause they are harder, not having as many glaring issues.

draco
08-07-2009, 8:26pm
ok, since this an NTP challenge, i will have a go at this :D this will be my first CC :D

on Rick's photo (two dogs in the forest): first thing i noticed is that the first dog's face have some motion blur and somehow, that part of the photo attracts my eye (maybe because it is very near the centre of the photo or just above the lower "rule of thirds" line). maybe a faster shutter and an increased ISO to compensate the faster shutter would have helped. this may put more noise in the photo but due to the nature of the photo having "course" overall background, noise might not even get noticed.

also, the tail of the first dog just obstructs the face of the second dog a little bit. in my opinion, it would have been better if the shot was taken just a little bit to the left. but then that fern on the left would obstruct the camera..

also, focus is a little bit off.. more of the ground is focused. if the focus was just higher, the DoF would have been great since it seems that the ground in front of the firts dog's face up to the ground on the second dog's body is clear and focused.. this may be what the photographer was aiming for but due to the spur of the moment and quickness of the dogs running, it was bit hard (i'm assuming that this was not a planned shot and the photographer just quickly took out the camera, composed the shot and *click*)..

i like the dark area on both sides of the photo.. it helps the eye on concentrating the view on the two dogs. but would have preferred if it extended a little bit more just to the middle upper right..

also, the two dogs are dead center in the photo.. in my opinion, it would have been better if the dogs where a bit "farther away" and the shot taken a bit lower..

just my 2 cents :D

ricktas
08-07-2009, 8:40pm
Good work draco. That is how you do it. now to go across to the member photos and start applying some of the same critiquing technique there.

ricktas
08-07-2009, 8:41pm
And here is another new one. Have a go at critiquing this one

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/AP-Midlands-Meet-8447-monthly.jpg

Hamish McHaggis
09-07-2009, 11:35am
Well I certainly need practice at CC so here are my thoughts....

Nice picture Rick :)

Composition: overall, good use of rule of thirds – horizon is the upper third of the frame, and nice and level. There is foreground interest – the tuft of grass is prominent, sharp and nicely lit; however it is in the middle of the frame – maybe better if off to one side. The zigzag formed by the grass tufts gives a good sense of depth. Perhaps the water could have been made more prominent in the composition IMO.

DOF is narrow. I would have liked to see a smaller aperture resulting in the background being in focus.

Exposure seems good. Maybe a little dark, but the foreground is well lit and there is nice detail in the clouds.
cheers,
Colin

Wulfys Kingdom
15-07-2009, 1:48pm
Hi Rick,

The photo gives me a feeling that I am about to be rained on lol.

Although being an overcast day I certainly like the vibrancy of the colours in this photo. Everything is evenly exposed and the subject is nice and sharp.

The apeture could be changed so the rest of the landscape is in focus, however I think the photo could instead be improved by cropping out the majority of the sky (perhaps to some point along the tree line). The dark area at the very bottom of the photo may be lighted, but as it creeps up the sides of the photo, to me it contributes towards framing the subject.

ricktas
15-07-2009, 2:11pm
Good replies guys. This photo was taken with the intent of trying to create a feeling similar to "Great Expectations" the movie from about half a century ago. I wanted to create feeling of English moors, and a painting of them.

Wulfys Kingdom
15-07-2009, 10:02pm
Good replies guys. This photo was taken with the intent of trying to create a feeling similar to "Great Expectations" the movie from about half a century ago. I wanted to create feeling of English moors, and a painting of them.

If I ever see the movie I'll remember to watch closely :)

wilburwilde
07-11-2009, 12:05am
Ok, here goes.

first thing i notice in the photo of the bird it is sharp as a tac, eye, beak , feathers and branch. The other thing that catches me is the expression caught on it's face. I've done what i needed here now i'm off over there to do what ever it is i need to do. And as NikonNellie mentioned i love the simple bokeh. Really awsome photo. Well done and no wonder it got POTW.

The landscape shot, feeling of rain, a break in the season and a vast emptyness. Like the closest grass is in focus and peetering off from there. I like it.

Will

jasevk
07-11-2009, 1:32am
here goes.... I think this picture is fascinating. I get a huge sense of caution from this landscape, primarily because of the narrow DOF. What I mean is that the fact that the shrub in the foreground is sharp, with the focus falling away while venturing ahead... beyond the shrub, the rest of the picture becomes less important, as if the shrub is my destination.

I get the sense that I wouldn't trek any further, partly because of the lack of a cleared path, but the drama in the sky is also creating a suspicious allure. While I probably would have chosen a smaller apperture to sharpen more of the picture, I'm really intrigued by the end product.

seastorm
07-11-2009, 1:32am
OK, I'll give it a go.

The photo follows the rule of 3rds, subject (the grass) is in focus. I'd prefer the rest of the photo to be in focus though, being a landscape photo. There is detail in the clouds, but nothing really inspiring.

Looking at the photo gives me a sense of isolation, which I like :)

Slightly underexposed, but the shadows at the bottom of the photo works for me, I quite like it. Gives it a hint of mystery of what's underfoot.

I'd use the river / stream as my background, keeping it all in focus. If it was a still day, I'd use a slower shutter speed to show fluid movement in the water, if at all possible.

ricktas
07-11-2009, 8:12am
Good work guys, now go and apply that to some photos in the critique area of AP, you will learn a lot from 'critically' analysing a photo, which will help your photography as well

EdenJane
08-11-2009, 8:59pm
Can I try? My knowledge is minimal & am learning but here goes...

The capture of the bird has an almost painting feel about it for me because of the perfectly blurred background & the sharpness & detail of the birds eye in particular but also the feathers & the beak. The colours in the eye & beak & the yellow feathers really make this photo pop. The tail & the branch & the flight feathers lead my eye to the birds exquisite eye & there are no distracting features at all. I could look at this for a very long time!

ricktas
08-11-2009, 9:01pm
Can I try? My knowledge is minimal & am learning but here goes...

The capture has an almost painting feel about it for me because of the perfectly blurred background & the sharpness & detail of the birds eye in particular but also the feathers & the beak. The colours in the eye & beak & the yellow feathers really make this photo pop. The tail & the branch & the flight feathers lead my eye to the birds exquisite eye & there are no distracting features at all. I could look at this for a very long time!

That was good, now to put the same thought processes into members photos when you view them. Not only will you help the photographer, but you too will learn a lot about photography by analysing a photo so intently.

Wilky
08-11-2009, 9:24pm
Just found this thread and would like to try with the grass.
When I look at it I stop at the clump in the very front and then actually have trouble getting my eyes to look at the rest of the scene. It appears to me as if there is no lead into the pic. To my way of thinking it should have been taken with a much higher fstop. Strange I find it quite hard to look at.

ricktas
08-11-2009, 9:31pm
Lets step this up another level. Your choice of which one you critique, or if you have time to spare, do both.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/2007-08-cygnet-area-7591.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/Smokey-Sunset.jpg

Wilky
08-11-2009, 11:24pm
No.1
I like the feel of the pic. My eye is led into the scene from the rh corner up and to the left and then sweeps across back to the rh side.

I find it very easy to look at and spend time in it. The tonings are nice and subdued but still vibrant.

The hills on the lh side are maybe to dark, no definition but not quite silhouette but the eye doesn't linger on them, it almost shoots back across like a slippery slide towards the centre and the rhs.

The water looks really calm with just a gentle roll on the beach giving just enough definition in the ripple. I also like the inlet disappearing on the left.

DOF is really good,

All up I feel it is a well thought out pic with lots of interest in it, right down to the rocks under the sags

Dam I would like to be out there exploring it in my sea kayak.

seastorm
09-11-2009, 1:29am
Here goes for No 2.

Interesting photo that one, but I'm not quite sure where to focus my eyes. On one hand the fence (and barbed wire) and grass in the foreground is trying to hold my attention, but the hills and boats in the background are screaming for me to look at it too. Not to mention the detail in the clouds. It doesn't seem to follow the rule of 3rds much, alas.

Love the colours, a nice mix of blues and yellows.

Maybe it's a personal thing, but the photo doesn't seem to work for me, unfortunately... :(

jasevk
09-11-2009, 12:48pm
Rick... I'm really enjoying having these challenges to practise critiquing... but I'm just wondering how the more experienced photographersnfeel about less experienced photographers giving CC in the 'non practice' area?!

Here goes for #2.

I will hazard a guess that the photographer's intent was to simply portray the beauty in what he or she saw in this scene, rather than to capture what he or she felt from the scene. I say this because as Seastorm mentioned, I'm not sure where to rest my eyes either. However the leading line from the fence just seems to draw me into the water.

I love the drama in the sky, there seems to be a couple of possibly over exposed patches in the clouds, but its not causing me any issues for my viewing, just an observation.

A lovely scene I must say :)

Hamish McHaggis
09-11-2009, 2:58pm
(#2) I have no problem finding something to focus on in this pic - my eyes are drawn right along that fence to the middle of the water. Along the way, I appreciate the sky colours...and basically I just want to get my fly rod out and catch some of the fat trout that I KNOW are lurking beneath the surface....
OK, more practical CC - I feel that the foreground is just a little dark, and a (tiny) bit of recovery of the detail here would really make this photo work for me IMHO,
Colin

ricktas
09-11-2009, 3:03pm
Good work guys. Like what you have done here. Looking at the photos and spending time to assess them on both an emotive and technical aspect. Well done

Hamish McHaggis
09-11-2009, 3:25pm
(#1) I actually really like this. Reminds me of Scotland - barren, desolate, a bit foreboding. Yes, the background hills are dark, but that adds to the appeal for me. The foreground is great. It's like: here we are now, and this is where we have to go, into the unknown...
Can't comment on the technical aspects I'm afraid....but I like the photo,
Colin

Jesse24
09-11-2009, 11:54pm
No. 2

I really like how you have used the fence as a path through the photo and then the cloud as another path again. It also seems like your taking a picture from the gloomy side looking towards the bright, sunny paradise across the lake. However the fence represents that it is a long and tough task to get there?

The picture seems a little too dark overall for me, mainly around the grass and there is a bit of a "shadow/glow" around the fence that I find a bit annoying. Maybe that is what suits this image however.

warren
10-11-2009, 2:03am
I will aslo give it a go.
To me they are both technically wonderful captures of the scenes but suffer from the same problem. They look a little over processed, colour saturation and contrast pushed beyond a "natural scene". To my eye the over use of colour saturation is particularly evident in the second photo.
The first photo has a slightly unnatural light intensity progression from foreground to background. In this lighting I would expect the foreground to be darker, it is difficult for me to reconcile the foreground higlights.
On composure I like both, I love the way the fence in the second photo leads me off into the background. I also love the way the fence and the cloud formations roughly mirror form.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to see more of our landscape.

ricktas
10-11-2009, 6:21am
Good to see so many of you giving this a try and I hope this challenge has given you a bit more of an insight into critiquing other members photographs. Well thought out responses.

PH005
22-12-2009, 11:05am
Here we go. I have not read any of the other CC's so that I am not influenced.

The front dog should be the one that is focused on and not the rear one. T composition could be better if the dogs were seperate in the shot. A lower POV may be better. I think a zoom lens has been used making the outside foliage under exposed. Cropping could fix some of this.All in all not a very interesting or technically good shot.

ricktas
22-12-2009, 11:46am
Here we go. I have not read any of the other CC's so that I am not influenced.

The front dog should be the one that is focused on and not the rear one. T composition could be better if the dogs were seperate in the shot. A lower POV may be better. I think a zoom lens has been used making the outside foliage under exposed. Cropping could fix some of this.All in all not a very interesting or technically good shot.

Good work, have a go at some of the other photos in this thread, to really get you working on critiquing

digitwized
09-01-2010, 10:26am
I think the dog photo works well as a snapshot of your dogs on a walk. As a photograph to hang on the wall however, it doesn't make it. I think it would have worked better if the leading dog was more in focus than the other and if the tail wasn't obscuring the face. Also perhaps a vertical crop would suit better. A lower angle would improve it also.
Thats my 20cents worth!

ricktas
09-01-2010, 10:41am
I think the dog photo works well as a snapshot of your dogs on a walk. As a photograph to hang on the wall however, it doesn't make it. I think it would have worked better if the leading dog was more in focus than the other and if the tail wasn't obscuring the face. Also perhaps a vertical crop would suit better. A lower angle would improve it also.
Thats my 20cents worth!

Good reply, now try some of the other photos in this thread, cause we started with one that had obvious issues, and progressed to photos that would be harder to critique

martz8
10-01-2010, 11:52am
Loving the Idea of this thread. Well pretty much all of the "New to Photography" idea
Here is my 2c worth of CC

Dogs in the Forest..
Being a dog lover & Forest lover (Not a tree Hugger) I found the front dog was not in focus but the second was. The colors I found were excellent.
The surrounds look very calming in this shot also
Maybe by taking the shot from a little lower would have put the dogs into a more promenent position in the frame.
DOF was great for the main subject.

POTW 140

The background for me is a little bright If a little darker the branch behind the subject would fade away into the background.
The lighting on the subject is excellent also
The detail is fantastic on the feathers & Sharp.

Grass Shot.
Doesnt quite do it for me.
Too much focus on the Grass.Very shallow DOF
The colors are great though.
If the subject is the Grass possibly crop half of the top of the frame out
Maybe a little too much sky.

Lake Shot No2
I really like this shot .
The fence in the foreground take me on a ride up the photo to the rest of the lake.
Im not sure what you call the effect but it doesnt seem to be very sharp though.
I think the lighting & frame are great but maybe a little less sky.

Thats my Opinion for these shots..

Marty

toast
17-01-2010, 11:19pm
Heh, the dog at the rear has a funny look on his face and it might almost fit the line "aww Gawd, I need a change of view."

My eyes were first drawn to the rear dog. He is in-focus, more so than the front dog and his position within the frame drew my attention. The front dog is definitely too much out-of-focus and, as others have said, is noticeably suffering from motion blur. To me this detracts from the shot and makes it look sloppy. Actually, I think the entire photo could be both sharper and more blurred. It doesn't have any significant definition, which kinda nags on my eyes. The lighting and colour seem a bit flat and it may be that a sharper rendition might mitigate that problem.

It seems feasible to have had either dog as the subject. Even with the fact that the front dog's tail is in the front of the rear dog's face. I would like to have seen much more sharpness on the subject of choice (whether front or rear dog) and a greater pull by using more out-of-focus for the surroundings. That said, perhaps everything could be sharp, with no noticeable DOF and simply using the contrast and colour to define the subjects. Though that might prove to make the photo too busy and thus even less defined.

I guess this is where the quality of the lens comes into play. A faster lens with great sharpness and luminosity would give one the control to capture what I am articulating in this post. I also wonder about the benefit of using a manual focus and being able to use Depth of Field (DOF) preview, at least until one is able to intuitively know the end result. It seems to me that a manual focus lens can provide more control for DOF shots. Perhaps a camera with Bracketing might also make this kind of shot easier in regards to exposure/colour/light/shadow.

Perhaps the camera could have been turned on its side and the dogs captured in a portrait orientation. Nice subject and situation though.

The landscape shot in post 49 is another great situation but I think the focus should have been where the sky meets the land. So, the opposite of what it is. Actually, I think having a small DOF would not suit this shot and the whole image would be fantastic if everything was very sharp and well defined. Certainly the subtleties in the clouds need to be captured. The same goes for the subsequent landscape shots, I think.

ricktas
18-01-2010, 7:05am
Well done guys. Now go across to the member photo forums and use what you learnt and applied here, to some of the photos recently uploaded by members for critique.

AndreaB
18-01-2010, 9:41am
#2 - I love how the fence draws you deep into the lake. The golden colors make the mood peaceful. I looks like a place where you would love to be camping or staying in a cabin. So calm and beautiful. Wonderful photograph.

HansPeter
02-02-2010, 3:56pm
I cant fiend any thing to disapprove of, the dof is excellent and its sharp and crisp. Is there something I mist? Please help.
Bay the way I voted for this Photograph.

Jeanette
23-03-2010, 8:08pm
ok late post but here is my go..
Rick..

Photo... you see the main subjects straight away enjoying the walk however slightly out of focus. the focus part being the plant to the right.
Emotional connection due to loving labradors very much and am and have been a proud owner myself...
FOre Middle Background is contained there but the focus throws my eyes around looking for that focal point to lead your eyes around.
Would love to see the actions of the dogs walking with them in focus more and maybe some movement in the background although that is harder to get with the subject moving towards you.
Still love the forrest and the colours it looks most relaxing :)

Kym .. wow this is a great photo and love it... because the subject is very crisp and clear.. the focus takes you straight to the eyes and leads you over the very detail of the bird.
you have the complete subject in there ( no loss of tail feathers etc)
The bird is almost pedestooled on the branch which is stunning but not enough to take away from the subject.
the background is soft and subtle which allows that stunning bird to take centre stage as it deserves :)

ricktas
23-03-2010, 8:50pm
Well done Jeanette, now try applying that sort of approach the occasional photo in the forums.

SanGabriel
23-03-2010, 11:41pm
Without reading others critique, here's what I think:

I like:
- Nice composition, showing the footpath leading towards the viewer.
- Background footpath is blurred so the photo doesn't look too busy.
- Vignetting enhances impact & composition.

Things to improve:
- Would be much better if both dogs eyes are tack sharp. Dog in front is quite out of focus.
- Personally I think shutter speed could be higher to freeze movement on the feet.
- WB is a bit off, too cold.

SanGabriel
24-03-2010, 12:06am
Post #49 Rick's landscape photo:

Exposure is spot-on. The foreground and background all well exposed, details well preserved. Overall tone is pleasing and warm, the trees in the left hand side background suggests its an autumn day. When I first saw it I thought its shot with a wide angle lens but after noticing the blurred background it could well be a longer lens + cropping. I don't find the subject very interesting because its just another patch of grass, nothing special. Therefore, I think theres no need to isolate that patch of grass from the rest of the field by DOF control. As others have noted the rule of third is demonstrated in this photo with great effects.

BushieBruce
24-03-2010, 12:25am
Just found this thread. A great idea as being relativly new I find critiqueing difficult.

Re the lake with the fence.
Technically the photo is good with sharp focus. The dark grass in the foreground helps frame the photo.
The fence line leads the eye into the photo. The "rule of thirds" is there with the fenceline and horizon meeting at a third point.

Not sure why but the lighting of the lake and the clouds all work together to give the photo a feel of late afternoon tranquility.

ricktas
24-03-2010, 7:03am
Good work guys. This is the sort of critiquing members like to see on their photos. Not only does it help them improve, but it also helps others who read the thread learn about their own photography from the comments made. Critiquing is a core reason AP is here. Good critiquing is a learned skill, and needs practice to improve. Go for it, in the member photo forums.

eemiassim
24-03-2010, 10:00am
Bird - Excellent DOF really draws my attention straight to the bird. The composition is beautiful. I love how sharp the image is especially the eye.

#2 - I am not quite sure where to look. After my eyes have wandered around a bit the fence does draw me out to notice the boats on the horizon. Lovely colours.

I think had you taken a few steps forward and cut out some of the business of the fence and just left the leading line it would have had more of a dramatic effect.

I really struggle at critique...

Anne1958
24-03-2010, 11:58am
sorry, I'm a bit late coming in on this ...
CC for Rick's photo,
the colour is a little dull and the huge area of the ferns and the vignette are very distracting and to me seem to consume too much of the shot also because the dogs, particularly the first is out of focus the shot in general lacks impact (sorry Rick ... I haven't really done very much real CC here on Ausphotography, but I sincerely appreciate this thread to have a go, knowing that it's a learning process)
I love the concept of this shot but I would have cropped it like this as to me this draws my eyes straight to the dogs and on the path they have returned from and are continuing on in their forward journey.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k169/Bulbinella/photography/critiquecopy.jpg

will take a good look at the other shots here and post my thoughts shortly.

gingermegs
12-04-2010, 10:52am
My first CC ever here goes ... the DOF to me looks perfect :th3: I get the impression that something has caught the bird's attention & it's turned to see the source ... so the sense / feeling / urge to look with the bird is great! The clarity of the feathers from body to beak has been captured well ... & I like the way the branch blurs away at the top :D
Great work.

ricktas
12-04-2010, 7:51pm
Anne, first off, don't apologise for your views, they are your opinion and you are entitled to them. Also I have a thick skin and chose that dog photo cause it had things wrong with it and would allow those that hadn't done critiqueing an 'easier' opportunity for the start of this thread. Well done with your critique.

ricktas
12-04-2010, 7:52pm
Good work Gingermegs, give some of the other photos in this thread a look. By practising in here, you will be able to apply what you learn to members photos.

kjl
14-04-2010, 5:53pm
OK - time for me to get in on the act and practice my CC so I can be a more active AP member...

#1 Lake scene
Firstly, I think teh grass in the foreground makes this picture stand out a lot more than it may have otherwise; the grass colours are subtle yet bright enough draw your eye and it complements the tone of the whole picture. I also like the angle of teh grass (front right to top left) as it provides a good DOF. Personally the rest of the picture (lake/sky) doesn't hold my interest and I feel it needs an extra element to hold a viewer's attention - maybe a reflection or silouette or stronger colour tone - so you can get lost in the whole image and picture yourself being there looking over that scene.

#2 Lake scene
I really love the colours in this picture and is my pick of the two images (I see a theme developing :) ) I do agree with a couple of teh comments above about teh boats in teh background drawing your attention way; particularly the ones on the left hand side which are out of teh main focal point of the image - perhaps just a little cloning? The fence through the middle of the picture holds your focus and gives it the extra element that I mentioned in my CC above however it looks a little soft and would suggets making it a little sharper in order to hold the line...another thought/suggestion is that I think a portrait style shot down the length of the fence would also look great as it would keep teh lines (i.e. fence posts) and image in teh same direction.

Just my 2cents worth of CC and I hope to continue practicing my CC on AP!

Thomp
16-04-2010, 9:54pm
Here goes my first ever proper critique:
For no.2
I like how the wired fence is incorporated in the picture, I like how it leads the eye, however every time I look at it it draws me towards the center right of the photo, and makes it hard to focus on other areas. Perhaps if the silhouette of the fence wasn't so strong it would be easier to view the picture as a whole. I like the foreground element but it might be a bit too dark, especially on the bottom left and I feel like the silhouettes somewhat clash with the colours in the background. That said, the golden light and blue sky create lovely tones and has a very relaxed and peaceful feel to it. I can just imagine myself sitting on the shore, sipping a cold drink and enjoying the sunset.

bellamae
17-04-2010, 10:26am
Okay, my first attempt at "real" CC - other than saying "wow, I love that photo!"

The picture of the dogs:
The first thing I notice is that the dog in front is not in focus and that his tail is obscurring the face of the dog that is in focus.
The colour looks like it needs a boost to make the photo really pop and some adjustment to the levels to make the blacks true black.
There is a lot of space in the top and bottom of the frame - I am a fan of the close crop and like the subject to fill the frame. If the picture was taken a second or so later it would have changed the angel so that the first dog would have been further down in the frame and not obscuring the other dog. Hmmm does that make any sense?
I like that the photo leads the eye into and along the path.
Hmmm, thats all for now...

Cute dogs btw :)

SnowA
18-04-2010, 10:15pm
I can see that participation is very much encouraged here... so with that in mind :)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/Smokey-Sunset.jpg

This one has an almost HDR feel to it, to my way of looking - with the large range of contrast from very dark tones in the reeds/fence to the bright blues of the sky. I think it has a bit of an 'unreal' look to it that one gets sometimes with HDR.

Composition-wise I think the proportions of the fore/mid/background works well, but the leading line of the fence makes it feel unbalanced to the right of the photo. I almost want to turn my head to the right to see what's over *there*

I like the sharp focus that goes all the way to the background.

Q: With the foreground, it looks to me like it has a halo type effect around the dark parts - is that from some post-processing? I am pretty much a complete beginner with PP.

ricktas
19-04-2010, 6:26am
Good work everyone. I hope that using this challenge has helped you gain confidence to look at a photo and write more than 'nice photo'.

For info. The lake isn't a lake, it's a coastal bay. The photo was taken in the late afternoon with the sun behind me. There had been bush fires in the preceding week, which gave the sky an unusual glow. The distant peaks are actually an Island about 5kms off the coast. Yes some post processing was applied to the foreground to give the darkened rushes a 'glow'.

linden
20-04-2010, 6:12pm
I'll give CC on the first photo of the dogs (although it was posted a while ago)

Anyway, My initial thoughts on first seeing the photo are that I don't know where to look.
The left and right edges of the pic are a bit dark, and the the light is on the dog in the centre of the frame. However, the dogs are out of focus, leaving me confused as to where to look.

I think it would be good if the dogs took up more of the frame, and were in focus. Also might be good if the subject wasn't in the centre of the frame, perhaps off to one side or something like that.

Robert Horler
05-06-2010, 7:38pm
I know we are supposed to CC but to take just one photo in my life as good as this would make my whole future in photography worthwhile.
Don't know how you do it Rich but its wonderful !

Kym
05-06-2010, 9:22pm
I know we are supposed to CC but to take just one photo in my life as good as this would make my whole future in photography worthwhile.
Don't know how you do it Rich but its wonderful !

We understand. But everyone started somewhere. We are all learning.
So in a few months (with a lot of work, otherwise in a year or so) you can produce images
you will be very proud of.

Step 1. Just don't nap off shots, Think!
Step 2. Do the learning plan!! an post images for CC (feedback)
Also: comment on others images, say WHY you like or dislike an image.
This helps you see things in your own work.

JanOD
08-07-2010, 5:37pm
Giving CC is difficult for me, for a couple reasons. First, when I see a photo I don't have the skill to take (because it's so good), I often can't see bad in it. Words like 'awesome' or 'stunning' roll off my fingers easily, because that's what I think. The other problem is that I don't know the terminology, so what I do say sounds like 'baby talk' to the pros. I don't know the 'rule of thirds' and all those things yet. But I finally came across a photo well beyond my skill level, yet for some reason I don't like it (sorry). That forced me to study it, to see exactly what it is that I don't like about it.

The sky is beautiful. I like the cloud formation and shades of blue and yellow. I also like the mountains on the horizon, and how clear they are, perfectly level. I never would have guessed the distant ones are so far away, actually an island. Even the shore line is clear, and the boats as well. Yet, with all that, the image as a whole seems dark to me.

That brings me to the foreground. To me, having so much silhouette grass in the frame, along with the shadows on the water, it darkens too much of the photo, esp. on the left side. Maybe if you crop a little off the bottom and left side, eliminating that last fencepost that's right on the edge, it would make it appear lighter.

The other thing I notice is the fence. It draws my attention, and my eyes start at center, then follow the fence toward the right. It serves as a distraction from the beautiful scene behind it. Maybe if you would have walked a little to the right, and avoided the fence altogether, or a little to the left, getting a different angle on the fence, it might have been better?

Otherwise, of course, this is an absolutely beautiful photo...great shot! (Old habits die hard! lol)

Kym
08-07-2010, 7:48pm
Giving CC is difficult for me, for a couple reasons. First, when I see a photo I don't have the skill to take (because it's so good), I often can't see bad in it. Words like 'awesome' or 'stunning' roll off my fingers easily, because that's what I think. The other problem is that I don't know the terminology, so what I do say sounds like 'baby talk' to the pros. I don't know the 'rule of thirds' and all those things yet. But I finally came across a photo well beyond my skill level, yet for some reason I don't like it (sorry). That forced me to study it, to see exactly what it is that I don't like about it.<snip>

We all have to start somewhere. Looking critically at others work is how we can learn to look
at our own work critically so we can change what we do and learn.

No one will get upset with a newbie saying what they think - because all views have some value
and we recognise various skills levels.

Steve Axford
09-07-2010, 8:43am
Giving CC is difficult for me, for a couple reasons. First, when I see a photo I don't have the skill to take (because it's so good), I often can't see bad in it. Words like 'awesome' or 'stunning' roll off my fingers easily, because that's what I think. The other problem is that I don't know the terminology, so what I do say sounds like 'baby talk' to the pros. I don't know the 'rule of thirds' and all those things yet. But I finally came across a photo well beyond my skill level, yet for some reason I don't like it (sorry). That forced me to study it, to see exactly what it is that I don't like about it.

The sky is beautiful. I like the cloud formation and shades of blue and yellow. I also like the mountains on the horizon, and how clear they are, perfectly level. I never would have guessed the distant ones are so far away, actually an island. Even the shore line is clear, and the boats as well. Yet, with all that, the image as a whole seems dark to me.

That brings me to the foreground. To me, having so much silhouette grass in the frame, along with the shadows on the water, it darkens too much of the photo, esp. on the left side. Maybe if you crop a little off the bottom and left side, eliminating that last fencepost that's right on the edge, it would make it appear lighter.

The other thing I notice is the fence. It draws my attention, and my eyes start at center, then follow the fence toward the right. It serves as a distraction from the beautiful scene behind it. Maybe if you would have walked a little to the right, and avoided the fence altogether, or a little to the left, getting a different angle on the fence, it might have been better?

Otherwise, of course, this is an absolutely beautiful photo...great shot! (Old habits die hard! lol)
That's a very good critique because it focuses on the effect the photo has on you, and highlights the good points. If you practice those skills, you could become very good at critiquing.

steve812
08-08-2010, 7:49am
Here we go- My first CC on a photo that I would be very proud to have taken:
The post processing for this shot has added immensely to the overall effect. I find the use of a very dark foreground and leading line intriguing. It grabs your attention and forces you to the centre of interest- the much lighter, sparkling boats and distant landscape- Almost like looking through the window in a dark room at a glorious scene outside- makes you want to go outside.

Having two areas of interest (collections of boats) cause some distraction. I wonder if portrait format- still include the first post but eliminating the boats on the LHS would help. This would have the second benefit of reducing some of the large area of darkness at the bottom LH side.

I can't help myself- "A great shot".

Cheers- Steve

ricktas
08-08-2010, 8:10am
Thanks Steve, now to transfer that over to the member photos forums and do similar there.

ricktas
08-08-2010, 8:15am
Lets add a portrait to the mix here and see how you go with this one

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/2Evan-8541-copy-2.jpg

tanz
08-08-2010, 10:45am
Ok I will have a go with this one. I think this is what they call high key which is a style I really like and with my limited knowledge this looks like a very good example of that style. One of the first things I notice is that his left eye is oof and I believe this is because of the shallow DOF but for me it is too shallow because my eye keeps getting drawn over there and it looks like there is a smudge on my screen. The second thing is his hand in front of his mouth also detracts from the photo, it would be better if you could see his mouth and thirdly I think this image would be better with a tighter crop to remove the brown desk and his left hand as I feel they are just a distraction and don't add anything to the image. I do love this style though and can't wait to give it a go with my girls.

ricktas
08-08-2010, 11:01am
good critique Tanz. I posted this one cause it wasn't 'perfect', and you have picked up on the issues with it well.

Freya
13-08-2010, 9:29pm
Sorry, posted in the wrong spot...

a pocket full
14-08-2010, 12:27am
OK I am going to CC the first photo without having read what others have written. I want to compare later to see what i've missed and what I have spot on.

First thing is that the dogs aren't in focus. Given that the picture appears to be about the dogs, they should be in focus IMO. I think the focus is to the right of the dog in front on the fern?

I'm thinking too that there is too much going on around the dogs so a tighter crop would be good. I think the image is a bit dark but perhaps that's the look that the photographer is after?

I like the idea of getting down lower too so we can really look at the dogs with complimenting surroundings. The foliage would frame them nicely.

The dog at the back isn't getting much of a look in either, maybe waiting a few moments to try and get both more front on?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the color and contrasting apart from it being a little dark. So maybe a higher ISO or a little exposure adjusting in pp.

The whole image looks like it needs sharpening to me.

OK!! PHEW!! That's scary.

Other than that, I'll say what I shouldn't say. I like the photo! It makes me want to go for a run with the dogs through a rain forest.

Pine
14-08-2010, 6:57am
I agree with you in principle Rick but on occasion "Its a nice shot" is sufficient for good work:cool:
Regards

ricktas
14-08-2010, 7:34am
I agree with you in principle Rick but on occasion "Its a nice shot" is sufficient for good work:cool:
Regards

With all due respect, this thread is about teaching newer members how to critique well, effectively and with thought into their critique. Yes Nice Shot, has its place, but if you want to learn to take better photos, it tells you absolutely nothing! Maybe every photo you post from now on should only get 'nice shot' as a reply, and see if you learn how to take better photos from it? Nice shot is NOT a critique!

Kym
14-08-2010, 12:00pm
I'm going out on a limb here and will say 'Nice shot' is useless and not worth the bandwidth UNLESS accompanied by some reason.
Eg. Nice Shot, I like the Colour/Light/Composition/Impact/[insert reason].

wmphoto
29-08-2010, 5:26pm
I'll have a go...

1. The lighting to me is too harsh. The left side of the child's face is lost into the background and their shirt. It also gives their hair about three different shades.
2. The eyes are out of focus. I've always read / learnt, that the eyes should be the focal point of a portrait photo.

Focus the eyes (single point AF or manual?) and change the light source (or use a fill flash if the light source can't be changed) to bring more balance.

ricktas
29-08-2010, 6:35pm
good critique. I have purposely posted photos here that have faults, to give members trying critiquing for the first time, something to comment on and suggest ways to improve the photo. Well done 2BAD4U.

Patsy
01-10-2010, 3:18pm
Okay my first attempt at CC....This photo really appeals to me - it gives me the feeling that the bird has just popped in and was captured beautifully by the photographer. The clarity of the birds feathers and the grain in the branch are spot on. The absence of anything in the background helps draw focus to the bird without any distractions. The composition adds to the feel of the photo that the bird is supended in time but is on the move - I like the angle of the branch and then the opposing angle of the bird's head. I too enjoy the light in the bird's eye as it adds expression to the photo and connects you emotionally to the bird. Definitely something to aspire to...

mareech
06-10-2010, 12:02am
Here goes, this is my first as a newbie. I can't criticize though, so I will tell you what appeals to me. I like how the fence draws your eye down into the water, then the clouds lead you up and around. The fence to me is so dark against the water it almost seems blurry, though I am sure it isn't. Is this deliberate or just the way it was? Can this be adjusted? I am only just starting to realise from reading that alot can be done in computer afterwards. I also like the subtle colours against the bright blue sky. I can only hope to catch something like this one day! thanks, Maree

mareech
06-10-2010, 12:13am
Hi, 2nd go at this. I am drawn to the crystal clear bright blue eyes. Everything else in the picture is muted, and there is nothing else to distract from them (clear space as bachground). Even though the eyes as main focus seem to be dead centre of the picture, is this ignoring rule of thirds? If so I love it anyway. I like the highlighted side too. Now I will read what everyone else thinks...

ricktas
06-10-2010, 6:30am
Good work Maree.

Some info, the fence is blurry cause I applied an effect to this landscape called the "orton effect' that creates a slight dreaminess to the result.

Practicing critiquing is a good way to learn more about photography. Once you 'see' what can be improved in someone else's work, you learn what not to do, with your own photography. Critiquing not only provides feedback to the other member, but can be a valuable personal ability to help with your own photographic improvement. So get into the forums and give it a go

Nonas
30-10-2010, 4:16pm
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/Noanus/Good%20photos/DSC_11061024x687.jpg?t=1288413212
http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/Noanus/Good%20photos/?action=view&current=DSC_11061024x687-1.jpg&t=1288415162043
I'm assuming i have inserted my images properly. Your photo reminded me of one I took last week so I thought it was a good way to start uploading photos!

It was good to compare the two photos. I like the way your photo is taken from above the dogs, I thought the composition was good and I like the lighting. I think the front dog being out of focus spoils the photo a bit, as does the tail over the face of the one behind, although that could be seen as rather cute, I suppose, depending on the viewer. For me, the dog being out of focus takes away from an interesting colour balance and lighting, which give the impression of a cool, damp bush track. If it weren't for the focus problem and the tail, I think the photo would be rather lovely.

On the other hand, when I looked at my first photo, I realised that there were two subjects - the walkway and the dog - rather than just the dog, so I cropped it, hence the second image.

Nonas
30-10-2010, 4:17pm
http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/Noanus/Good%20photos/?action=view&current=DSC_11061024x687-1.jpg&t=1288415162043
I don't think my second image was attached?

ricktas
30-10-2010, 4:56pm
Hi Joan, the New To Photography forum and this thread are about learning to critique, rather than for placing photos for general critique. This thread is about explaining how to critique etc, allowing newer members to practice on the photos presented. Please repost your photos in the Member Photos forums for feedback on them.

kddeb69
31-10-2010, 10:17am
Hey Rick its not a bad idea for anyone to brush up on their critique considering the new in flavour and fad treatments and styles of photography, it has been an interesting read and some great refreshers :)

seqo
03-11-2010, 12:30am
Well, here goes nothing; I'll try and CC the shot of the child...

I feel that the hand over his mouth doesn't detract from the image, unlike Tanz. It should add to the drama or mystery coming from the subject - we as the viewer should wonder why the subject is reacting like that - however, in its current state I don't feel it does either.
The eye/s definitely need to be the focus for us here; specifically, the right eye is beautifully vibrant, rich and in focus. The reflections and light caught there are dramatic, and add to the intensity.
The light source detracts from the image in its current state, making it feel quite flat and bland, overall.

To address those points:

I would crop the image quite drastically - like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5519751/crop.jpg
The DoF is quite nice, but could even be shallower with that sort of crop.
Maybe perform some post-processing to soften up the image as it approaches the bottom right, bottom left and top left corners.
In my opinion, light source now adds to the drama rather than causing the image to appear bland.
I also feel the hand adds to the mystery it was lacking here, as if the child has just come to some realisation...

My 2c - hopefully someone can critique my critique!

ricktas
03-11-2010, 7:06am
Well, here goes nothing; I'll try and CC the shot of the child...

I feel that the hand over his mouth doesn't detract from the image, unlike Tanz. It should add to the drama or mystery coming from the subject - we as the viewer should wonder why the subject is reacting like that - however, in its current state I don't feel it does either.
The eye/s definitely need to be the focus for us here; specifically, the right eye is beautifully vibrant, rich and in focus. The reflections and light caught there are dramatic, and add to the intensity.
The light source detracts from the image in its current state, making it feel quite flat and bland, overall.

To address those points:

I would crop the image quite drastically - like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5519751/crop.jpg
The DoF is quite nice, but could even be shallower with that sort of crop.
Maybe perform some post-processing to soften up the image as it approaches the bottom right, bottom left and top left corners.
In my opinion, light source now adds to the drama rather than causing the image to appear bland.
I also feel the hand adds to the mystery it was lacking here, as if the child has just come to some realisation...

My 2c - hopefully someone can critique my critique!

Good work, now to apply that to members photos in the forums, though I suspect you are not new to critiquing others work anyway, which was the point of this thread.

seqo
03-11-2010, 11:00am
Interestingly enough, I've never critiqued / been in a position to provide critical analysis of another person's photography before... :o

salnel
03-11-2010, 2:41pm
Okay, with a whole 3 months of experience, I will have a go at CCing the photo of the child. I felt that the eyes were not quite right..one is lovely (with a great sparkle) but the other one seemed rather flat and dull. I thought the lighting wasn't right either, particularly as there was a white shirt on a white background so the child's body seemed to disappear.I would also crop it so that the desk is not in the picture . However, I loved the hand across his mouth as I felt that this added to the personality of the child and gave a feeling that he was thinking about something rather than just being a "face". Hope this is ok.

ricktas
03-11-2010, 3:11pm
Good work Salnel. I might get a new photo up this evening to help the new members dive into this some more. Practicing here, and then moving over to the main photo forums is a great way to get started at critiquing

ricktas
03-11-2010, 6:53pm
Now to challenge your new found skills at critiquing, with something a little different and harder.

Have a go at this one

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/final.jpg

salnel
04-11-2010, 9:01pm
okay..i will have another go. This photo really appeals to me. I love the richness and warmth of the colors and the sharpness is great, showing all the raindrops. I loved the angle that this was taken as the spiral pattern of the petals draws my eye right into the centre of the flower. I am a fan of negative space (hang over from being a scrapbooker) so the simplicity of this picture is very appealing, especially as it on such a dark background.. I would perhaps have liked the leaf and stem to be a little more defined as it seemed just a little disembodied from the flower (but a very little point).
Only one question (and it could be my monitor) but were some of the water drops slightly blown highlights?
But, overall, I loved this photo and if I could take something half as good, I would be thrilled..(maybe one day:)
Hope this is okay

Chinook
10-11-2010, 3:13pm
I have just come across this topic. Rick thank you it is just the sort of thing I was looking for. I hate just saying 'great shot' etc now I have a bit more of a idea on how to offer some kind of half decent CC. I think when one is new we feel out of our depth when CC far more experienced photographers photos.

With the pic you put up. For me it could not be better. I have dogs & love taking photos of them. I feel that the dogs are not in focus & I know now you did not have time but if you had I would have squatted down to try & photograph the dogs at eye level. Love the composition. The tail is distracting but not a lot you could do about that. A nice shot for the family album.

philiph
26-11-2010, 11:05am
Hi Rick, not being a dog person, the lead dog needs to be in focus more but I know this is difficult with moving subjects in a poorly lit area. I like the way the track leads you into the photo and the way the firns frame the shot, it all seems to work nicely. I agree with the comment about portrait rather than landscape format, the firns around the edges don't add to the photo and probably wouldn't be missed. It would be interesting to see the photo still in landscape but cropped so that the dogs and track were off to one side, ie the thirds thing. Wouldn't frame it but nice photo anyway

ricktas
26-11-2010, 11:10am
Hi Rick, not being a dog person, the lead dog needs to be in focus more but I know this is difficult with moving subjects in a poorly lit area. I like the way the track leads you into the photo and the way the firns frame the shot, it all seems to work nicely. I agree with the comment about portrait rather than landscape format, the firns around the edges don't add to the photo and probably wouldn't be missed. It would be interesting to see the photo still in landscape but cropped so that the dogs and track were off to one side, ie the thirds thing. Wouldn't frame it but nice photo anyway

Thanks Phil. I deliberately picked that photo cause there are several things wrong with it, which made it easier for newbies to critique and learn from. As the photos have progressed in this thread, they have gotten harder to critique, for a reason. It is all aimed at helping those new to critiquing photos, learn, and develop their skills in this regard.

philiph
26-11-2010, 11:10am
just found the photo of the rose, nice photo but doesn't do anything for me. I think there are too many water drops on the rose and it distracts from the photo- are we looking at the rose or the water drops? The focus looks quite good but perhaps it needs to be cropped a bit tighter particular top and bottom. No mid or back ground makes it difficult for the rose to really jump out at you

LJG
26-11-2010, 12:10pm
Critiquing can be hard, because so many view another’s image in very different ways. It is a case of one man's meat is another man's – you know the rest haha. I’ve liked shots others haven’t and vice versa. Great critique is a terrific learning tool. I have used it here to improve, as many others have as well. We just have to remain aware of everybodies individuality of likes and dislikes. It is easy to offend when you were only trying to help.

Sometimes though we just like a shot, and like to say just that. I don’t think this is a bad thing. It gives people heart that others are viewing their work and do like it. A simple “I like it” is better than leaving a thread unanswered. That can be very demoralizing to posters if nobody replies at all. I’ve had it on shots I didn’t think were that bad, but obviously others were not moved enough to even make a simple comment, so I guess that is comment enough. What is it they say, read between the lines, especialy if there are none there haha

As far as the flower Rick, this is about as harsh and in depth as I can give.

For me, I really do love the beautiful colour of the flower. That coupled with the great dark background & lack of distracting bokeh are the two standouts of this image. Looking at it from those two points alone make it a great presentation. Working against those two positives though is tha fact the water drops dominate the scene and overwhelm the flower. It has a beautiful spiral pattern to the petals that is completely overwhelmed by the water drops. They are what you see and are drawn to, not the natural beautiy of the spiral pattern, you see it as an afterthought. I also feel the lighting is too harsh, and not in a position where it shows the flower to its true beauty. It casts heavy shadows where I feel it would have benefited from a softer, more even light. Also the fact the flower is too far to the right of the shot as viewed. Many expound the “rule of thirds” and “don’t centre a subject” but from my perspective a shot of a beautiful flower should not be controlled by these bounds. The flower & petals is what the image is about, showing a perfect thing created by nature, so should be focused in a more centred fashion without the constraints of the tight right hand crop.

But, as I said earlier, that is just my view and many others will disagree. I would also not feel really comfortable giving that type of critique on an image, unless the poster was adamant and said I WANT HARSH CRITIQUE!

silkdiver
26-11-2010, 1:18pm
As the photos have progressed in this thread, they have gotten harder to critique, for a reason. It is all aimed at helping those new to critiquing photos, learn, and develop their skills in this regard.

I know this is an ongoing thread, but can I start from the beginning, with the dog pic? I would like to learn to cc to some degree as I can see how it should improve my own photography as I learn.

ricktas
26-11-2010, 1:24pm
I know this is an ongoing thread, but can I start from the beginning, with the dog pic? I would like to learn to cc to some degree as I can see how it should improve my own photography as I learn.

Yep, of course you can. The whole thread is for you to learn from. No restrictions on how you join in

SNAFU II
19-12-2010, 9:27am
Being only new to AP and photography i would like to say something on the 2 labs pic...on seeing the pic my first reaction was to focus on the 2 labs then seeing it was out of focus and some of the fern in the forground was in focus..i'm just learning Depth of Field photography using F Stops and Aperture so i'm thinking the 2 labs should have been the eye catcher of the pic and the foreground and background of the pic should have been out of focus and the 2 labs being nice and crisp and it would have been a nicer shot....cheers Mick!!!

dkp
27-12-2010, 12:20am
Ok ! ....... I'm new around here, so here goes !
I hope I'm not out of place :D

For me the money of this shot is the birds eyes and beak ....... they lead you to where the bird is considering going to. It suggests movement will happen, which adds a dynamic to the frame. Gives it a vibrance ! The beautiful colouration helps .......
An appropriate exposure reinforces this as well as nice framing
You've done very well anticipatiing a DOF ...... no doubt these little bugga's don't purchase anywhere for any period of time. Being 'catch as catch can' your fast-ish f stop has helped as well as isolating the subject from the background.

It's a dynamic photo of a dynamic creature.

DKP

:)

rojo68
06-01-2011, 10:15am
Hi Richard i can only it comes down to all of the above , but to me its the colour that stands out to me. Its like the bird is right next to me . beautiful exsposure :th3:

westwood
06-01-2011, 11:58am
Hi Rick. Thanks for the opportunity to practice the critique. Firstly, I think the selective focus on the ferns is effective in drawing the viewer's eyes towards the path. The darkening of the edges also assists in this. The major weakness with the shot is that lead dog is out of focus and this is where the eye goes first. I think there is a potential for the shot to tell a story, and I think if the viewpoint had been a bit higher it could have strengthened the storytelling aspect by showing where the dogs came from. In this case, I think centring the main subject works well as you get the real feeling that the dogs are running toward you. I think exposure is spot-on. The main problem I seem to have is scrolling backwards and forwards to the photo as I type.

westwood
06-01-2011, 12:09pm
The first thing that grabs me about the shot are the wonderful colours. The composition with the flower to the right of frame gives it a much more dynamic feel. I like the highlights in the water droplets as this gives it life. The only thing I think I would change is exposure on the green leaf behind the lower petal, as it is a bit distracting. I would probably have darkened this in Photoshop to maintain a focus on the petals. Still a fantastic shot that anybody should be proud of.

ricktas
06-01-2011, 12:47pm
Good work Westwood. Now put that in to practice on the members photos

Pat Redmond
06-01-2011, 10:07pm
Can I just say that I have been reading threads, tips and trick from ausphotography for the last day or two, and this is by far the best learning experience I have had. I think that the great benefit of learning to critique is that you can critique your own work. And I believe that if you can't critique your own work, you will never improve as a photographer!
I also think that critiquing other people's work, particularly when they are more experienced than you, is pretty daunting! But I guess as long as you can justify your comments, and aren't aggressive or insulting, then people will be happy to accept your opinion. I have to say that I haven't seen a single harsh, nasty or inappropriate critique yet!

I have to say that I'm not a great fan of the rose picture - I wouldn't run out an buy a print, but I can appreciate that it is a pretty good image! I do feel that the dew drops are more of a focus than the rose itself, which is a shame because it certainly is a beautiful flower. I wonder if it has been over-saturated a little in PP?

I know someone commented that the shadows were a little too dark, but I feel that the high contrast is something that works well within this image.

What would I do if I had captured the image, and wanted to improve it? I would give the rose a little shake, and see if I could reduce the amount of dew without inadvertantly reducing the number of petals! :| I would probably use a little less saturation in PP. I would VERY slightly reduce the exposure to get rid of the few over exposed bits, although reducing the dew drops may fix this too. I might use a reflector to see if the image looked better with less harsh shadows, even though I like the contrast. I would probably include more of the rose, and then crop in (which I guess is probably what happened anyway). And I think I would use a wider DoF so that ALL the petals were in focus. Perhaps the stem too, although that would be a seriously large DoF.

How's that for a critique? Not sure how people feel about the suggestions to improve, but that's what I am hoping to get out of ausphotography. And when I critique my own images, that is what I think about - how to make the next photo just a tiny bit better.

Cheers,
Pat

ricktas
06-01-2011, 10:16pm
Good work Pat. You should be able to comfortably go over to the members photos forums and start applying that to your critique for other members.

MBsa
12-01-2011, 12:30pm
Having a go at the rose :

I like this shot but the raindrops are very distracting, I know its not something that can be controlled (unless they were squirted on..) but just seems there are too many and it takes away from the rose. Apart from that I like how vibrant the red is on the dark background, but would like to see the stem more in focus.

Hope thats ok.. :) i'm not usually that good at CC on anything, I think about whether i am going to hurt someones feelings or not too much..

Camerashy
13-01-2011, 9:34pm
Can I have a go at CC-ing the rose? It is off-centre for no apparent reason, lit from above giving little sense of depth, has an oddly-shaped dark spot at 2 o'clock, a crinkled petal at the top, is 40% black and contains only one, over-intense colour. Most importantly, it generates no sense of warmth or emotion and bears little resemblance to what you would see in nature - the water droplets seem to come from a spray gun rather than rain because they appear too uniform.

Or was that too harsh?

ricktas
14-01-2011, 7:08am
Good work guys, now go and use the same skills on members photos

lenscreep
28-01-2011, 2:12pm
(nice shot...)
O K- Great out of focus soft bush colouring in the background.
PLEASE SEE BELOW!

lenscreep
28-01-2011, 2:25pm
Just wrote a cc, but somehow made it disappear.
O.K.
try again.
The soft treatment of the natural bush background color really sets the stage, I thought.
I didn't bind the O O F end of the branch, as it pushes the head even further foward.
The photo catches that super alert look that birds on the prowl have, so to speak.
Just wonderful detail where it counts most, and the red and blue not over saturated, which can be a temptation for me at times.
Makes me want to hold my breath and tiptoe, it's so lifelike. (You know what I mean?!)

juliem
28-01-2011, 6:21pm
OK first try at CC. Back to the dogs.... they are gorgeous! Off track again... the front dog(foreground??) is not in focus and the dogs are too close together to get good impact??? In composition isnt it preffered to not have subjects in the middle????????
I gave it a go.........
Julie
PS Emotive works for me!! dog lover :-)

ricktas
28-01-2011, 6:43pm
well done everyone. Come back here and critique as many of the photos in this thread as you want to, till you feel comfortable doing so, then jump over to the members photos and try it over there.

cowboydave
09-02-2011, 1:47pm
Being a newbie myself there is allot of tech stuff I dont know but, when I look at the picture there is a couple of things I would to try to do different. First of like everyone else the first dog is a bit out of focus and also his tail is blocking a bit of the second dogs face ( this is something that is not really in you power and it is not like you can ask the dog to keep its tail out of the other dogs face of course).
Something I like to try and do as well is get in line with what I am taking a picture of, So in this case I would have gotten closer to the ground so I aqm at the dogs line of sight giving the felling that you are looking from the dogs point.
I like more in the surrounding as well so maybe it is a little bit over cropt.
Other than that I like the location and the colours being a rainforest looking setting the dogs really stand out.

macrocephalic
12-02-2011, 12:38am
Ok I'll jump right on in with my critique of a few of the pictures.

Two Labs:
For me, this photo would have come out better from a different angle. Rather than taking the picture looking down to the dogs, I think it should have been taken at eye level with the dogs. I think I associate looking down at the top of a dog's head as a scolding pose. Looking at them at eye level would have made them seem happier; obviously they are happy, but I don't think the photo really brings out that joy.

If you'd been crouching down for this photo then you also might have avoided the path dissecting the photo right in the middle like it does, and maybe have gotten more light through the trees.

The focus was set for where the dogs were when you framed the picture, so when the picture was actually taken, you got the back half of the leading dog and the front half of the second dog in clearest focus. I can't tell exactly how the focus was supposed to be in this photo, but I think a narrow DoF trying to only get the lead dog's head in clear focus would have worked best.

That sounded like some pretty harsh criticism... I'm glad you already mentioned that it was a shot with a lot of flaws to critique :o

The Rose:
I quite like the effect that you've achieved with this. The contrast is very high - giving the centre of the rose an almost unreal look. Someone else called it blown highlights I think - but I like it. Was this shot as a single exposure, or did you use exposure bracketing?

Keeping the stem is a good touch I think, it gives some more depth to the picture, showing that it's a real, whole, flower.

You've also composed this image well, the petals follow the golden spiral leading the eye right to the centre of bud.

daggert
19-02-2011, 12:04pm
My thoughts.
The flower seems too dark to me and the outer edges are out of focus. Being such a relatively small area to shoot I think that all the flower could be in focus, then crop out the dark background. May be a few to many droplets esp around the bottom. I agree that maybe more softer even light would reduce the harsh shadows.
I like the concept of the photo, but overall too dark for me.

HungryCzech
13-03-2011, 1:06pm
So glad I found this thread. I've already benefited from a critique on this forum but have not had the confidence to jump in with my own ... so, thanks to this thread, here goes:

Labs - Gorgeous dogs - certainly one of my favourite subjects to photograph! It would be good to see both dogs in focus. Maybe using a faster speed and/or smaller aperture, if there was enough light, would have helped. Taking this shot from a different angle, such as down at the dogs' level, and zooming in or getting closer to the dogs so they fill more of the frame or positioning them to the left of the frame so they are moving into the picture, could make the composition a bit more interesting.

POTW 140 - Beautiful subject. Love the composition, it's so balanced and my eye just keeps travelling from the bird's eye down to the end of the tail and back again ... and again. It's so sharp you can see all the intricate details of the bird's features and feathers and there's no distractions at all in the background. Great stuff - can't wait to see more of your photos.

8/7/09 post - Love the dramatic colours in this one, though I can't seem to pick what your main subject is. The grass in the foreground is in focus, but my eye keeps getting drawn toward the horizon which is oof. Not sure this composition works for me. I'd like to see more of the scene as a whole - so maybe landscape and greater dof. iHaving said that though,I do quite like the painting-like effect of the oof bits. I think this photo just confuses me!

The two landscapes:

I love the drama and beautiful colours in the first pic. The light catching the grass provides a great contrast with the silhouette of the hills in the background and the darkness of the water's edge.

Another wonderfully dramatic landscape. Love the way the fence leads your eye into the picture. I think I would have liked to see less of the blue sky and more of the silhouette foreground in this (so horizon in the top third as opposed to the bottom third maybe), as I find the blue a little jarring. Overall though the lighting in this is amazing.

I was going to try and have a go at all of them, but I think I've got critique fatigue for the moment!

Noel Villegas
05-04-2011, 8:54am
Hi guys,
Im quite new to this site.
This photo (2 labs on trail) has a lot of potential. I like the leading lines, the exposure is good, composition is dead on. Except on the focus. I personally will focus on the front lab particularly on the eye. The photo has a bit of a reddish cast which can be fixed.
Another alternative composition to this is shooting this a bit to the lower left. That might be interesting.

Overall, the concept is nice. Congrats !

Cheers,
Noel

locorr
29-04-2011, 12:49am
My first attempt.
Flower.
I find my eyes wandering around trying to find the center of attention.
I do like the way the dark background lifts the flower out of the photo.
I'd like to learn how to achieve that in varying light.

tsmurf
14-05-2011, 12:14pm
I'm really not sure what the photo is about, it's a bit busy. Is it the dogs or the greenery. One's eye is drawn to the (slightly out of focus) dog, then strays out to the slightly underexposed greenery. Perhaps some in camera cropping and a smaller f stop to increase the depth of field could improve this shot. Rules are made to be broken but in this case the focal point in the dead centre of the shot is distracting!

ricktas
14-05-2011, 6:22pm
Good work everyone, The 2011 version of this thread, is HERE (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?83249-%28NTP%29-How-to-Critique-2011)

snappyhappy
16-08-2011, 1:41pm
Ok, let's see how i go at my first CC. The background looks evenly blur.
The sharpness of the bird is very clear.
This sort of photo is one of the problems i have taking.

ricktas
16-08-2011, 4:53pm
Ok, let's see how i go at my first CC. The background looks evenly blur.
The sharpness of the bird is very clear.
This sort of photo is one of the problems i have taking.

Good start, well done. Now to add to this and slowly build up your skills at critiquing, which will also help your own photography.

Justport
21-02-2013, 11:00pm
My first attempt at a critique...
I think the composition is great and you are immediately drawn into the photograph. However, I would question the aperture choice (?) as I feel that as the dogs seem to be the focal point of the image, that they should both be in focus and perhaps framed by the slightly blurred fernery.

MMF
17-12-2013, 7:30pm
Ok I've read some of the comments but have stopped so i can attempt a critique without the bias of other opinions.

I like the ferns and the trail, it draws the eye into the picture.
In truth i find the dogs just dull, they're too close together and aren't really that interesting. If they were further back in the photo and running with a bit more of an expression then it might be more appealing but for me the compisitin isn't there with the placement of the dogs

Mark L
17-12-2013, 11:17pm
^ you have a talent.:th3: