PDA

View Full Version : Software that came with your camera

pgbphotographytas
18-03-2009, 1:55pm
Last night I found the CD that came with my K200D and loaded it on to the computer, I had never used PENTAX PHOTO Browser before or knew what it did but it seems to work well for reviewing photos.

I never hear much talk on here about the software that comes with camera, do most people use it much or do everything in 3rd party software?

Paul

MattC
18-03-2009, 2:07pm
I tried really hard to use it, and like it, but I found it to be very buggy and slow on my PC, and in the end looked at other options - of which I still haven't found an ideal solution.

I may give it another shot soon, after I give my pc a clean up and tune up.

bigdazzler
18-03-2009, 2:24pm
I have the Sony Image data suite installed .. I use the RAW processor sometimes. But I use Aperture for RAW processing the most part, and GIMP for editing.

Miaow
18-03-2009, 3:39pm
I have the all the canon software installed from the CD plus updates from the canon site for it all.

I use Zoom Browser and EOS utility the most - sometimes I'll use DPP also - Some of the other stuff havent used as yet.

Riverlander
18-03-2009, 3:53pm
I also have all the Canon software installed and updated. I always use EOS Utility to download my images from the camera - works a treat.
Because I shoot in RAW I also use DPP almost every day. The editing and conversion tools with DPP are very good.
I also use Web Briwser quite a lot, and the other software much less frequently.

ving
18-03-2009, 4:39pm
hafvent touched the software that came with my nikon... i assume it works ok tho.

hoffy
18-03-2009, 4:47pm
I have used the sony software at times. It was really memory hungry. I have noticed that it does deal with RAW images slightly better.

The other thing that the Camera software is good for is exciting things like tethered shooting (if your camera supports it of course)

kiwi
18-03-2009, 5:24pm
Nikon makes software ? Why ?

Lines
18-03-2009, 5:49pm
Can't say I've ever thought about using the provided software as I've always used PS. There's something about familiarity but at the same time I've heard many good things about Canon's software. Might have to have a look at it.

Nathan.

Seesee
18-03-2009, 6:06pm
I have used the Nikon capture NX software that came with the D300, quite a good program, designed to make the most out of Nikon images....but painfully slow. I have it on my laptop purely for downloading and storing photos while on holidays, but too slow for any serious editing.

ricktas
18-03-2009, 6:16pm
i have used Capture NX an NX2 a little bit (more to try them out than seriously consider using them permanently. I like what they do, but i side with Colin, very slow.

Use Lightroom and PS now.

In the past I was a big fan of Raw Shooter Premium (no longer available as Adobe bought it).

I @ M
18-03-2009, 7:01pm
NX2, ----------- but i side with Colin, very slow.

Nikon capture NX software that came with the D300, quite a good program, designed to make the most out of Nikon images....but painfully slow.

Slow compared to PS ( whichever version ) but for the price I reckon it is still the best way to get good results from Nikon RAW images.
Other than that, a PC / MAC dedicated to photo processing with up to date specifications still works faster using NX than a 2 -3 year old box running PS.

Sorry guys, just my thoughts. :o

I @ M
18-03-2009, 7:05pm
And of course, back on topic. :D
Nikon Transfer and Nikon View do very well for managing files as they come from the camera and to a certain extent a good job of editing them. Both are free programs and readily available as downloads from www.nikon.com.au

MarkW
18-03-2009, 8:26pm
I always use Nikon Transfer for downloading and Nikon View for a quick peek at the images to see what sort post processing I need.

Post processing will either be Nikon Capture NX2 or CS3.

Nikon products slow or bloated - maybe on a PC but on a MacBook Pro (Intel 2.4Gh 4Gb RAM) no way. The MBP handles stitching of 6 images together very very well which I think is about the most stress I put the programme under.

jev
18-03-2009, 9:23pm
Canon's DPP is pretty good - I use that all the time (too bad it's not 100% stable on MAC though!). Especially in combination with picture styles, the results of DPP outperform ACR and Aperture IMHO. Further more I use EOS Utility often for tethered shooting. So, yes, the software that came with the camera is put to good use.

OTOH, I also frequently use a Fuji 9600. The software that came with that thing is utter crap, there simply is no other word to describe it with.