PDA

View Full Version : The perfect camera bag::::

kaiser
18-03-2009, 10:57am
....does not exist. And probably never will.

I have come to this conclusion after many days and nights of wandering through the jungle that is Google, going over review after review, photo after photo and making the trips to several shops to do my own research.

I've come to accept the fact that you need a different bag for different occasions- and trying to find one that does it all well simply will not work.

You may remember a short time ago I wrote up a review on the Naneu Pro K3L photo backpack. A great bag for what it does and value dollar for dollar. Unfortunately for me, it was just a tad too big to take as carry on on flights. So it was back to the drawing board in search of a good holiday bag.

Not wanting to dethrone Paul from his illustrious bag-##### status :P, I set on a search with the following criteria in order of importance:

1. Comfort - I was going to be hauling this bag around Europe for 4 weeks. Through airports, train stations, U-Bahns, S-Bahns and any other Bahns you could think of. Not to mention the odd 2hr trek through forest in order to satisfy my fiancee's lust for any place with the word "castle" in it.
2. International airline carry-on compatible size - Mostbags will fit this criteria, its the weight that becomes an issue. We will split the load between us going through airport checkpoints so not too worried about weight.
3. Accesibility - Now I don't see myself changing lenses every half hour - I'd ideally plan on doing more sightseeing and relaxing than turning this into a serious photo holiday. Nonetheless, I have this fantastic gear with me, and helll we probably won't be coming back to this place for a lonng time, if ever. So I want to capture the moment and some creative shots as well. Not to mention my fiancee, who is the delegated videographer will constantly be asking for, then later handing back, the camcorder - as we will only have the one bag between us. Hence I needed a packt hat didn't take 2 mintues to unload and reload.
4. Capacity - Needed to fit a D90 with up to 70-2002.8 lens attached, plus 2-3 primes, flash, filters, small misc stuff, water bottles, snacks, book, maps, airline tickets, light sweater, poncho. Tripod holding capapbility. Laptop compartment handy but not crucial. I also have a seperate bag for that and it will be left in hotel each day anyway, only carted around from city to city. Space would still be handy for A4 documents though.
5. Security - I need some accesibility but at the same time I don't want 28 fast access panels that lead straight into my main kit. Some bags have lockable zippers, others that don't can usually still fit a small wire cable combo lock through. No match for a boxcutter but a good preventitive for oppurtunistic thieves. Obviously my equipment will be insured. Nevertheless still not a process I'd like to go through.
6. Durability and backed by a decent warranty/customer service. That means good, oversized zippers, good workmanship, durable fabrics. As for customer service - the ones that shine seem to be Crumpler and Think Tank Photo. Both their quality and customer service rate highly. I'm sure other brands out such as Lowepro, Tamrac, Kata, Tenba, Mountainsmith have comparable quality, just haven't had any dealing with their customer service.

So onto my crusade I went and these are what made it onto my shortlist:

Lowepro Flipside 400 AW
Think Tank Streetwalker Pro
Think Tank Urban Disguise 60
Tenba Shootout Day pack
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Booq Python SLR pack

Can you pick the odd one out? The Think Tank Urban disguise is the only shoulder bag in the line-up.Yes, I know, comfort is the number one priority, but this bag had so many excellent features and in its defence you can get an optional, if not tacky, harness attachment that lets you wear it as a back pack. http://www.taschenfreak.de/TASCHEN/THINKTANK/UrbanDisguise60/index.htm
http://www.taschenfreak.de/TASCHEN/THINKTANK/ShoulderHarness/index.htm

The Lowepro seems to ticks all the boxes . There is the Fastpack if I really wanted a dedicated lappy compartment, but I wasn't won over by the quality of the zippers compared to some of the other offerings. http://www.taschenfreak.de/TASCHEN/LP/Flipside400/index.htm

The Streetwalker Pro will fit my stuff, appears to have a decent harness system, lockable zippers, raincover and good quality workmanship. Quick access may be an issue, with a pack like this it'd be hugely advantageous to have a single pouch on ur waist to keep your most swapped over/accessed item/s.
http://www.taschenfreak.de/TASCHEN/THINKTANK/StreetWalkerHarddrive/index.htm

The Crumpler Karachi outpost is their largest backpack offering. It sure gets the tick for comfort, quality, security. Again not sure how access would be, I will have to go into the shop again and test whether its possible to swing the bag around and access the rear panel. http://atpeaz.placidthoughts.com/index.php?/archives/208-The-10-Minutes-Crumpler-Karachi-Outpost-Review.html

The Tenba Shootout Daypack has a lot of things to like. Good comfort, raincover, good capacity with the nifty expandable section. It has 2 quick access panels on the side for getting ur most used lenses etc. Call me paranoid but they only have 1 zipper so arent lockable - and when I've got my eye to a the viewfinder or am in a metro train stuffed in like sardines, I could see this panel being accessed a little to easily. www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYHh3S3RAQ

The Booq Python was the real suprise package. No reviews to be found anywhere, I found this pack on www.rushfaster.com.au

At the moment its sold out and won't be available until mid April.
It appears to be made using the good quality stuff, the interior organiszation is nice and the comofort/harness look top notch. The nifty thing about this one is the removable camera pouch. Now I alway told myself I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a bum bag. Either my shame as dissappeared or I simply don't care anymore, because combined with a pack it really looks like the only happy medium to quick access AND comfort. The bag can be worn around the wasit and supposadley fits a "DSLR and 2 lenses. OK so it doesn't have much capacity, but I can see it's usefulness for holding a body and lens. You could always chuck a Domke or similar insert in the main top section of the bag to hold your other stuff.
It has lots of outside pockets which can be a good or bad thing. Unless I can put a wire cable lock through these and somehow cinch it up it won'tbe useful for carrying stuff that can't e lost - memory cards, camera batteries, ext HDDs etc..

http://www.booqbags.com/Laptop-Backpacks/Python-pack

Well there you have it for now. There are a multitude of other options out there that I could consider but these are what I have shortlisted for now. Like I said at the beginning - one bag can't do everything well and there will always be some sort of compromise. I think the key is to have different bags for different occasions. Just like shoes. That's what I tell the missus anyway when she glares at me for getting another camera bag hehe:D

pgbphotographytas
18-03-2009, 11:31am
That makes a very interesting read and good luck finding what bag will suit you best.

As for me being a bag #####, well I have had the fastpack 250 since November and I can't see myself getting rid of it any time soon ;)

Paul

ash233
18-03-2009, 12:57pm
Just to throw it out there...i have a Dakine Sequence pack and really like it...not many people know of them for camera bags but look it up if you are interested.

Ash

pgbphotographytas
18-03-2009, 1:43pm
Just to throw it out there...i have a Dakine Sequence pack and really like it...not many people know of them for camera bags but look it up if you are interested.

Ash

I just had a look at them online Ash, looks great.

Paul

edenconnell
18-03-2009, 2:12pm
I have the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW its wicked such a great bag.....

You might need to get one a bit bigger than this....

You can get this model also with a place to hold your laptop....

Best thing is to go to a camera shop and see all the bags.....

Also get a bag that is waterproof or at least water resistant with a rain jacket

bigdazzler
18-03-2009, 2:29pm
Just to throw it out there...i have a Dakine Sequence pack and really like it...

Dakine gear is great .. all my luggage is Dakine. I have a wheelie bag for my snowboards, a day hydration pack for when im out riding them, and a split roller travel bag .. I take it everywhere. Love Dakine :th3:

For my camera gear, I have a Lowepro Nova AW200 shoulder bag for quick trips out and about and a Lowepro AW300 Slingshot for when im gonna be out for hours .. much easier to carry on my back than the Nova on my shoulder all day ..

kaiser
18-03-2009, 2:33pm

Ash

Funny you mention it i was just looking at it Ash :)
Rare as hens balls to find though...ringing around to all the Ski shops to see if I can source it locally :)

Edit: Seems to be out of stock everywhere - apparently A lot of Dakine stuff is back ordered because they've been bought out by Billabong. No estimated arrival date :(
I can source it in the States but most places are asking $120 shipping:angry0:
That brings it up to $320.

bigdazzler
18-03-2009, 3:05pm
Funny you mention it i was just looking at it Ash :)
Rare as hens balls to find though...ringing around to all the Ski shops to see if I can source it locally :)

Edit: Seems to be out of stock everywhere - apparently A lot of Dakine stuff is back ordered because they've been bought out by Billabong. No estimated arrival date :(
I can source it in the States but most places are asking $120 shipping:angry0:
That brings it up to $320.

These guys are Australian Importer/Distributor for Dakine .. they should be able to source anything you need. Theyve helped me out in the past.. :th3:

FLYING FISH PTY. LTD.
UNIT 9
WARRIEWOOD NEW SOUTH WALES 2102
Phone: 9979-1862

kaiser
18-03-2009, 4:04pm
Cheers Daz, I tried that number but says its disconnected. Burton (snowboarding Co) make a similar bag called the Zoom - although I've heard 3 accounts of the zippers failing.

I am liking the Flipside 400 however it is 10" deep and the airline is stipulating 8" depth only. It is smaller in every other dimension. I don't know how #### they are going to be at the airport - I don't wanna risk having to check the bag :/

MarkW
18-03-2009, 8:17pm
One thing you are missing:-

Most airlines will allow you to have a fairly reasonable camera bag and a small carry on bag - about 600mm long 300mm wide and high for all your carry on stuff thats not camera ie a light jacket, book to read and your duty free grog.

I travelled to the UK with BA and home from Paris with Air France change to QANTAS in Singapore (all QANTAS code share) and not once did they question the two bags, but, the camera bag which was a Tamrac Adventurer 9 backpack only had camera gear in it - 2 bodies 3 lenses, a flash plus all the bits and pieces like filters and spare batteries and chargers. That way I can always claim that its only camera gear and should be allowed - and it was :th3:. The secret is make it look like what it is - camera gear.

Where this principle will falls down is if you plan to use any light aircraft where the rules are all thrown out and you allowed virtually nothing. My wife did some domestic flights in Africa and the weight limits were outrageous - 19kg all up :eek:. My camera bag weighs nearly this much when fully loaded for bear.

nisstrust
18-03-2009, 8:48pm
agreed the perfect bag does not exists, its a horses for courses affair.
For myself the almost perfect bag is in the form of a Lowepro Primus AW, great for travel, hiking and heading off piste with my snowboard strapped to it. Also have a Lowepro Deluxe Street and Field waistbelt, which is great on shoots. Was tempted by a Dakine trolly bag for my snowboard but settled on a Bakoda trolly snowboard bag in the end :th3:

kaiser
18-03-2009, 9:02pm
No light aircraft - just 777s at the moment so overheads shouldn't be a problem. Would rather just have to worry about one carry on bag rather than tote 2 around the airports :)

MarkW
19-03-2009, 10:57am
Yea OK just letting you know what really works for me :)

kaiser
19-03-2009, 12:20pm
Thanks anyway for the tip :)

grizzly
14-10-2009, 4:54pm
i have a lowepro rover s&f and i find it great if i need to pack a bit of gear really comfy, in it i have my e-620 with 25mm f1.4, my 12-60, 50mm macro, flash, 50-150, 8mm fisheye in the bottom. it has a separate section in the top for all your junk and a few pockets and a tripod holder.
i know what you mean about never having enough bags my other fave is my crumpler 7 mil home which i tend to use when im going to be swapping lenses a bit as i find it easer to work out of a shoulder bag.

Natsky
01-11-2009, 3:35pm
Checked out the Booq gear and liked it. Hate camera bags that scream "expensive contents" or "camera tosser"!
Have you looked at Kata? Have a few different bags depending on what I am doing and love them, my fave being the 3N1-30 backpack/sling. They are now readily available in Aus too which helps.

Seesee
15-11-2009, 3:15pm
Checked out the Booq gear and liked it. Hate camera bags that scream "expensive contents" or "camera tosser"!
Have you looked at Kata? Have a few different bags depending on what I am doing and love them, my fave being the 3N1-30 backpack/sling. They are now readily available in Aus too which helps.

Ditto on those thoughts.......and I have 3 various bags, but find my sling/backpack the most versatile and often used.....and I dare to show my age by admitting one of the best small accessory bags I often have around my waste for small items, or one extra lens is the old "bum bag" or "fanny pack"...bum bags...dont knock 'em they, are a great bonus for photographers.

etherial
12-12-2009, 1:14pm
Kaiser, thanks for posting this thread. I have just about the same needs. I am looking for something to take on my UK trip in March. What did you end up buying?

PH005
12-12-2009, 2:47pm
Kaiser, thanks for posting this thread. I have just about the same needs. I am looking for something to take on my UK trip in March. What did you end up buying?

I recently recieved my new Lowepro Slingshot 200. It would make a great travel bag, and for less than $80 deliv. was a bargain. Check them out. Paul.

Bear Dale
12-12-2009, 5:00pm
Ah the quest for the perfect camera bag!

dmdigital
12-12-2009, 5:48pm
Has anyone looked at the Lowepro Classified 250 AW?

swifty
13-12-2009, 12:42am
Anyone used the Kiboko camera bag?
http://www.guragear.com/
Seems very good but expensive though. But with the Aussie dollar strong, now might be the best opt to buy it.

Gregg Bell
13-12-2009, 10:15pm
the Crumpler Barge series seems very good a versatile, not for the birders though...

dche5390
14-12-2009, 9:46am
I'm tossing between Lowepro's Mini Trekker and Primus AW.

Decisions decisions DECISIONS!

Crumpler's are a bit too "out there" for me. And my gut and rear are too big to have a shoulder/sling bag. I like my backpacks.

dmdigital
14-12-2009, 6:22pm
Crumpler shoulder bags are great but their backpacks are terrible to use and uncomfortable to wear. I made the mistake of buying one after nothing but success with their shoulder bags.

The LowePro Mini Trekker AW is brilliant it just won't hold a pro DSLR body with lens attached. Mine's now wearing out after a lot of abuse and a lot of travelling and I need to replace it.

Satine
15-12-2009, 12:08pm
So what is a good bag that's airline approved that will carry a 400mm f2.8 with camera attached (preferably)?? I liked the look of the Lowepro 600 AW II, but apparently it's not airline approved. http://products.lowepro.com/product/Lens-Trekker-600-AW-II,2118,14.htm

Has anyone had weight issues when taking a camera bag on the plane? My lens alone is 5.6kg, then the bag, the camera, the 2nd lens...and other bits. I'd hate to get it all the way over to the US with Qantas and then have American Airlines tell me I have to put it in the cargo hold. Are any of the larger backpacks safe enough for carrying this type of lens in a cargo hold of a plane? I've always packed them before but now with the big lens I can't do that and apparently it's not covered by insurance if you put it in the cargo hold.

kaiser
15-12-2009, 12:40pm
For my last trip I ended up using a Think Tank Urban disguise shoulder bag. Loaded up with a 13" Mac Book, D90 with 18-200 attached, 10-20, 50mm, SB-800 and batteries and filters. This was uncomfortably heavy but I only carried this configuration through airports etc. During the days I would lock the laptop and the extras I didnt count on using in my large luggage and left them in our rooms. The bag suited that purpose well enough.
Things I liked: - Rain cover - used this quite a bit and worked well.
-Customizable compartment with many dividers
-Oversized, strong zippers
-Laptop/document compartment
-Slides over handle of wheelie luggage
-Thick padded shoulder strap
-Memory card wallet.

Things I didn't like:

-Customizable compartments - Theres so many bloody dividers provided, finding a combination that works is a mission in itself
-The dividers themselves are quite thin and flimsy feeling - although I think this was done intentionally to maximise the bags overall space.
-Akin to all shoulder bags I think - the fact they swing around, bounce against ur hip,buckles squeaking etc as you walk.-
-Top centre zip opening- When pulling out your camera body, its easy to snag it on the zippers, especially if you have a grip or reversed hood attached.

Satine: RE: airline restrictions, its best to check with each individual airlines (website to et exact dimensions. Having said that, I've always flown Emirates and never had a problem with hand luggage being refused, although I try to stay within their stated dimensions. My bags we nearly always overweight, but there is nothing to stop you from wearing a camera around your neck with a lens onto the plane, then simply put it abck in your bag once on board.

I believe some airlines let you have a camera bag in addition to your allocated piece of carry on, but again you'll have to check.

cheers.

swifty
15-12-2009, 9:32pm
So what is a good bag that's airline approved that will carry a 400mm f2.8 with camera attached (preferably)??

Since I've been researching the Kiboko bag, I came across this review.
http://www.worlddriftseries.com/reviews/
Look at image 3 and the last image. Both bags pictured holds a 400mm 2.8 with 1 series camera attached.

I don't know where to check for airport approval though.

rogklee
15-12-2009, 9:41pm
I bought and recently used the flipside 300 for hikes over the weekend. It was pretty good, held my tripod pretty tight to the bag and sat nice on my back. Only problem was that the straps seem to cut into your armpits a bit which may get a little uncomfortable for longer treks, but it's ok for me.

I really bought it for the "opening via the back" feature. Great for overseas trips where you're paranoid about people stealing from your bag

MarkW
15-12-2009, 9:42pm
So what is a good bag that's airline approved that will carry a 400mm f2.8 with camera attached (preferably)?? I liked the look of the Lowepro 600 AW II, but apparently it's not airline approved. http://products.lowepro.com/product/Lens-Trekker-600-AW-II,2118,14.htm

Why does the lens/cam have to be attached? Generally you can get a smaller sized bag if the cam is not attached. With long lenses there is always going to be a setup period, usually its attaching and setting up a tripod or some other stability device. Long glass is generally not the sort of lens you use for photos of opportunity.

Satine
16-12-2009, 11:09am
Since I've been researching the Kiboko bag, I came across this review.
http://www.worlddriftseries.com/reviews/
Look at image 3 and the last image. Both bags pictured holds a 400mm 2.8 with 1 series camera attached.

I don't know where to check for airport approval though.

Thanks for that!!!!!

Looks like a nice bag, I wonder about making sure you have the weight evenly distributed, but I guess you can play around with that. It was intersting to see that they didn't like the Lowepro 600 bag as this was one of the ones I was looking at.

I'll have to go and find a local distributor of the Koboko and go have a test pack and a get a general feel for it.

Satine
16-12-2009, 11:13am
Why does the lens/cam have to be attached? Generally you can get a smaller sized bag if the cam is not attached. With long lenses there is always going to be a setup period, usually its attaching and setting up a tripod or some other stability device. Long glass is generally not the sort of lens you use for photos of opportunity.

It's just a personal preferance. I want to have the choice of having the camera on or off the lens. Long glass may not generally be for photos of opportunity but it's nice to have it mostly set up so that if the opportunity arrises on your way to or from a shoot you can finish setting up fairly quickly.

MarkW
16-12-2009, 11:47am
I contacted the Kiboko people - Andy Biggs who claimed that the big white lens was a 500mm

See reply below

Mark-

Thank you for your email, and thank you for your interest in Gura Gear. Here are the dimensions:

Internal Dimensions:
7” D x 13” W x 19” H
16.5 x 33 x 48 cm

External Dimensions:
8.5 ” D x 14 ” W x 20 ” H
21.6 x 35.5 x 50.8 cm

A 500mm f/4 plus a camera can easily fit on one side of the camera bag. You can see a photo of a comparable Canon 500mm and attached (or detached) lens here:

For those of you who are as cynical as I might note that the bag is the only product that Gura Gear has. Additionally if its too good to be true then it's too good to be true, especially with all those pages and pages of endorsements.

swifty
16-12-2009, 3:21pm
MarkW: yea I'm a little sceptical too, but mainly because there's no store where I can see and touch the product.
And with the way it's priced, I'd hate to fork out for somethng that doesn't meet expectations.

Satine: I do have some reservations about weight distribution too. Given it is arranged in two halves, I'd thought a large lens would weigh significantly more than all else combined making the bag unevenly balanced. Lucky for me tho I don't own any large lens.
Again, the lack of availability of an actual demo puts me off a little.

Tony B
16-12-2009, 3:48pm
My go to bag for bush walking is the Tamrac Velocity 10. It takes a 1dMkIII with 100-400 + 5D with 24-70 with hood fitted. The front pocket takes spare batteries flash & 50mmf1.8. Being a sling bag access is speedy when cycling or walking.
Shooting with a single lens I have a variety of Lowepro Top loaders.
When travelling I have all the gear in a Seal Tight case which is securely tied down in the boot of the car & I then access gear a bags as per requirements.

dche5390
16-12-2009, 7:04pm
I picked up a LowePro Primus AW in black today from Jb Hifi for $250 (ticket price was $299). So far I find it very comfortable.

I have shoved my 70-200 2.8L USM attached to my 5D2 into the main padded compartment along with 430EX and a 50mm 1.4 lens. I always carry a 600ml bottle of water so that easily slots into the side pocket.

Nice comfy padded shoulder straps.

I got it based on looks then functionality.

Can't wait to really test it the bag when I go to NZ and lug along a 13" MBP and quite literally a snow jacket.

coling
16-10-2010, 10:57am
Has anybody used a Kata 3N1-20?

dmdigital
17-10-2010, 9:28pm
Some time back after posting up my question I purchased the Lowepro Classified 250 AW. Very pleased with it so far, though my camera gear hasn't seen much use in the last 8 weeks. Definitely worth considering as a shoulder bag.

Anne Sh
23-09-2013, 2:34pm
For traveling I now tend to carry two bags...a bit of a luxury but in transit i have all my gear in a backpack and for days out I have a much smaller bag that allows me just to take the gear that i want for the day. In my checked luggage this bag has all my leads etc neatly together.

I have looked at so many bags...still looking for the perfect bag for the day out that doesn't give my should a hard time.