PDA

View Full Version : Wheres my exif gone??

bigdazzler
13-03-2009, 11:16am
Im using a mac with Aperture and GIMP for processing ..

I have a exif viewer that sits in my dock and if I want to see exif of an image I just drag said image onto the icon in the dock. A thumbnail of the image then pops up with all exif data included.

Problem is, once processed in Aperture, then exported and edited in GIMP and then posted images onto AP, my exif seems to disappear ... The pop up contains only the thumbnail image but no exif ??

Any thoughts on why ??

ricktas
13-03-2009, 11:20am
how are you saving in the GIMP? in PS if you use file save / file save as, it retains your exif, but if you use file save for web exif is dumped. My guess is gimp does something similar.

bigdazzler
13-03-2009, 12:31pm
Rick I work on TIFFs in GIMP and then save as>*image*.jpg ...

so it should retain exif right ??

jev
13-03-2009, 7:16pm
GiMP is pretty good for editing, but leaves some things to be desired. EXIF support in TIF is one of them - simply won't work. If you want to retain the EXIF information, do not use TIF, do not use GiMP or re-attach the EXIF information when you're done.

bigdazzler
13-03-2009, 8:59pm
thats a shame .. i actually quite like gimp for editing, i think its great for a free product .. bummer :(

dbax
13-03-2009, 10:04pm
GiMP is pretty good for editing, but leaves some things to be desired. EXIF support in TIF is one of them - simply won't work. If you want to retain the EXIF information, do not use TIF, do not use GiMP or re-attach the EXIF information when you're done.

thats a handy thing to be aware of...thanks Jev

Darren I only used the GIMP for a short time when I was having problems with PS after a computer crash, for a free program I was impressed, but found it verrrry slow, don't really know much more about it....but free is good:th3:

bigdazzler
13-03-2009, 10:32pm
i dont find it slow at all on the mac .. especially with my ram upgrade working for me