PDA

View Full Version : Which Laptop to buy?

Seven
10-03-2009, 5:12pm
Just looking at different options for a laptop and unsure of which way to go.

Main reason is I need something faster to process raw files etc and more related to photography as the only other need is word / email / internet and not alot else.

So my question is there are quite a few laptops for around $1500 with dual core 2 2ghz and up. I guess I am wanting to know what is a good min to look for and branding.

I had a acer and found them ok apart from not very strong on hinges etc.

Would love some comments mainly on which brands are ok and even specs to look for. I did see a toshiba, but unsure if they are any good.

Any help would be great

Laurie
10-03-2009, 5:40pm
If you find out Morgan please let me know! My trusty old Asus is running out of processing power and storage. Trouble is I want a matte screen and they are very hard to come by. Dell have a huge range and you can try configuring something yourself. They came up with one for me and the price was reasonable but the feedback on other sites was not as positive as I'd like for the particular model.
This link may be helpful in working out some of the specs that are most important to you? CNET also have lots of other reviews, info etc so it may be a starting point.
http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,239035649,240054282,00.htm

dalewilde
10-03-2009, 5:57pm
mac even the bottom of the range at 1650 ...which you'll find cheaper is sooo good. ive used desktops ive made ive used 1700 lappys and 2000 lappys and mac sh*ts on them all seriously you wont regret it. ill admit to get used to its a bit of a gender change but worth it. but if dont want to change i suggest like laurie dell.

ricktas
10-03-2009, 6:24pm
I just went through this.

I ended up getting an Acer Aspire 5735, 320gb hdd, 3gb ram 2.0ghz processor. I think Acer must have recently upgraded this product cause on their website it shows with lesser specs.

Only picked it up yesterday, have installed Photoshop cs4 on it, and calibrated the display. CS4 runs fine on it, and the screen I am very impressed with. My old laptop had a super glossy screen and even after calibration, it never looked as good as my desktop 22 inch screen. The acer one side-by-side with my desktop does a fine job of displaying photos accurately.

So far I am impressed. It has even given me a chance to experience Vista, which I have found quite easy to get around.

dalewilde
10-03-2009, 6:30pm
thats another thing i love about mac the os i hate vista with a passion

Tannin
10-03-2009, 6:32pm
There are three good choices in that price range; Thinkpad, Thinkpad, or Thinkpad. No other brand has the same solidity, reliability, and build quality. You can expect to pay a little more for the same features, but you can expect it to work, and keep on working.

No gimmicks, no flashy tricks, just quality engineering all the way through. Accept nothing less.

Edit: and of course, you can have it with XP, if you want to. (And you should. Vista sucks.)

Colinz
10-03-2009, 6:49pm
One to consider- MSI. Not well known in laptops as they are a big component manufacturer. I bought an EX600 about 2 years ago and it's my field machine so it bounces around in my 4wd attached to a GPS and having realtime data recorded. Hasn't missed a beat even in 45deg. Pretty good value for money.

They come with Vista Home Premium and I've stuck with that without too many dramas once I understood its wierdness.

Jcas
10-03-2009, 7:20pm
I have the Acer Aspire 6920

Intel Core DuoCPU 1.83GHz

4.00GB RAM

320 HDD

16 inch screen

Runs Vista, CS4 and a lot of other gear no problems at all.

clm738
10-03-2009, 7:32pm
Just saw an ad on tv. Dell laptop with up to 8G RAM, 2 core duo, for $1799. Wide screen with seperart number keys. Might be worth checking out.

davwhite
10-03-2009, 7:33pm
You can't beat the MacBook Pro, it is the Multimedia's No 1 choice.

Designwyse has the following.

MacBook Pro 17" 2Gb 2.5Mhz for $2695 was $3799 or

The same with 4Gb Ram for $2895 was $4199.

If you don't want to give Windows away completely then run Bootcamp or Parrell's and have both systems.
Then you would have the best of two worlds.

Seven
10-03-2009, 11:14pm
Gee so many different thoughts and to answer a few questions.

I know what your saying about mac, but prefer windows based, not ready to change.

Thinkpad was one I used to think was great until my t42 screen failed followed by internal power circuit, so has put me off them.

Not sure on acer Rick, but will still check out the lastest ones.

Was considering the Dell side of things and have never any bad points.

I guess its gonna come down to price and feel I reckon.

pilling
11-03-2009, 6:03pm
Vote for Mac here - but as that is out of the question, I change my vote to MSI as well. I think they're exceptional value for money and there are a large no. of configurations too.

Seven
15-03-2009, 11:30pm
MSI after doing some research they do look pretty good and for under $1500 not bad. Only thing I dont like is the screen it is glossy.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodtmpspec&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1631#menu