PDA

View Full Version : Help downloading RAW

Becstarr
08-03-2009, 9:30am
I went to a wedding yesterday and shot in RAW but this morning when downloading it seemed to download all but then when I went to check them in digital photo professional (canon provided software) only about a quarter were accessable I then tried to download again but there was no more to download. Please help , is this program not the right way to download them what does everyone recommend , I also need some editing software so will need something compatible. With the ones that have downloaded do I go and change them into jpeg or do I edit first.

Jcas
08-03-2009, 10:55am
There is a lot of info in this thread.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=26535

ShaneB
08-03-2009, 10:56am
Hi Bec

I don't know the Canon software you're using, so I won't offer comment.

However, in terms of what you do with your files: retain the RAW files unchanged, and only go to JPEGs if and when you need to. Remember that JPEG is "lossy", and every time you save a JPEG, it's throwing away data. Work in TIFF - although they're big, they don't deteriorate across generations.

Good luck with your missing files.

Becstarr
08-03-2009, 11:18am
Thanks Julie and Shane,
Julie you being a canon user do you ever have any trouble downloading all of the photos, I just cant seem to get them all. I had a look at the other thread and yes there is some great info on there, very usefull. What sort of editing software do you use.

Allann
08-03-2009, 12:13pm
Hi Bec, I am a Canon user and ALWAYS shoot in RAW only, and have not had any issues. Which camera are you using, as the 50D and 5DMkII only recently released the Codec for the new RAW formats, it may be that you need to update the Codec. You can do that from the Canon support pages for your camera. May I recommend getting Lightroom, I nearly exclusively use it for all my photos. It allows you to download, catalog, backup, edit, print and publish your photos (i think it's worth the $$$). I threw away the Canon software (well it's sitting on the shelf cathering dust) when I got Lightroom. The updated Codec also allows you to view the images in Windows Explorer and Windows Live Photo Gallery (I'm assuming pc users here).

IanB
08-03-2009, 12:27pm
Can you see the images on the camera monitor? I use the Canon programme without dramas. This would be a bit spooky for you. Don't panic; it all works out OK

Just a note: I capture both JPEG and RAW. Jpeg is OK for most smaller wedding/portrait photos. I use the RAW if exposures are out. I never use TIFF any more

:)

Calxoddity
08-03-2009, 12:32pm
Bec,
Not specifically related to Canon or the DPP software, but it's a good idea to ensure that your camera and/or software settings do not permit the deletion of photos from the card once they're downloaded. If the download screws up for any reason, there's no second chance...

I suspect that your photos have been deleted from the card, so will need to undelete them using a standard undeletion utility. Now that I'm on a Mac, I can't remember what I used on a PC, but www.tucows.com has some freeware ones last time I looked.

Good luck!

Regards,
Calx

Becstarr
08-03-2009, 1:16pm
THanks Allann for the heads up on lightroom and codec will definately get onto the canon site and have a look. What sort of $$$ am I looking at for lightroom.

Ian and Calx I can still see the images on the camera so they have not been deleted and if I go to download through the camera it goes through the motions for all 96 files but only copies about 26 to the computer. Am totally stumped.

Calxoddity
08-03-2009, 1:31pm
Okay - I just luuuurve IT support via forum ;)

Do they show up in Explorer? In other words, if you connect the camera, does the camera or the memory card in it show up as a new volume in My Computer? If it does, are the contents of the card viewable? Can you see all the files?

Regards,
Calx

Becstarr
08-03-2009, 1:44pm
Calx
I can go into my computer and see that there is files in the Canon 50D but I can't actually see the photos and if I double click on them it copies them to my pictures but then says windows cannot open them

Dan AU
08-03-2009, 2:39pm
Hi Becstarr

To see the files under native windows programs you need the windows Codecs otherwise you will only be able to open them in DPP, can't say I had the problem of not being able to view any images in DPP other than when they have been processed in another application and not flattened out of Photoshop or similar.

Here is a link...

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200059703.html

Canon Blurb...

Canon RAW Codec is a plug-in software that enables the import and display of Canon RAW image files when installed in Windows Vista (including SP1)/Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP SP3(*).
* To use the software with Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP SP3, application software that supports WIC (such as Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery) will be required.

IanB
08-03-2009, 2:59pm
Consider this for safety; don't do any more yourself; and take your card to a photo shop tomorrow and get them to put the images onto a CD/DVD for you. I did have trouble once with Nikon (I think) and I used to Windows to down load; this should work with Canon also.

:)

Calxoddity
08-03-2009, 4:34pm
Bec,
Copy them across to your PC and put them in a folder whilst you have the camera connected - insurance for if the card has a brain spasm. I don't have a Canon or the DPP software, so I bow to the Canon users as to the cause of your particular issue and whether it's because of the version of DPP or something.

The worst case is that some of the photos are truly corrupted - I'd not be trusting that memory card any more if that was the case.

Regards,
Calx

jev
09-03-2009, 1:48am
windows cannot open them
Windows can't open them because windows does not know what to do with them. If you look in the folder they are copied to, you should see a bunch of files named "IMG_xxxx.CR2" (where xxxx is a number between 0000 and 9999). These files are the actual RAW files. Open them in DPP: Start DPP, than navigate to the folder these .CR2 files are in.

If you want to see them in Windows we need to know what operating system you are using (Windows XP, Vista, ME, ...), which version (e.g. Vista Home, Premium, Vista64, ...) and what service pack (if any, e.g. SP1, SP2, SP3....). Based on that we can advise if the Canon RAW codec actually works for you if that yuu need something else (like IdImager's RAW image shell extension or something similar).

Jcas
09-03-2009, 12:56pm
Thanks Julie and Shane,
Julie you being a canon user do you ever have any trouble downloading all of the photos, I just cant seem to get them all. I had a look at the other thread and yes there is some great info on there, very usefull. What sort of editing software do you use.

I don't shoot in raw yet, still learning the basics. I am just starting to think about it, and will probably have a go with the software that came with the camera or PhotoShop.