PDA

View Full Version : wireless network setup

MattC
06-03-2009, 2:19pm
Hello All - I am hoping some techno wizz may be able to help me get my head around this wireless networking stuff.

O.K. this is what I would like to achieve. Currently I have a PC that is connected to the net via a ADSL2 modem with a cable (usb, or ethernet - can't remember) I will soon be getting an Netbook which has built in wirless capability, which I would like to be able to connect to the net wirelessly whilst at home, and also strems media to the netbook.
I would also like (but not essential) about 4 ethernet ports built in so if a do host a small LAN game at my place, people can connect without any more hubs.

So...what do I need?? :confused013 Any help appreciated.

ving
06-03-2009, 2:30pm
i use one of these. i have one desktop PC connected via ethernet and 2 laptops connected wirelessly to it :)

http://www.netgear.com.au/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/DG834G.aspx

Calxoddity
06-03-2009, 2:43pm
Matt,
There's a bunch of 4-port ADSL2 wireless modem-routers (this is what you're asking for!!) on the market from Netgear, Belkin and Linksys just to name a few.

If you check out http://forums.whirlpool.net.au you'll be able to browse the opinions and recommendations of which ones appear to work best with which ISP.

Depending on what brand you end up with, somebody can then give you tips on the config of that specific brand and model.

Regards,
Calx

MattC
06-03-2009, 3:16pm
Thanks Ving and Calx - looks like I have some reading to do!

Kym
06-03-2009, 3:22pm
I use a Billion 7404VGP-M.
This may help re: security.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=197369#post197369

You have two options.
a) Replace your modem with one such as mine (except maybe the new N versions)
b) If you modem has more than one port you can get just the wireless part - but the can be messy and costs almost the same as a new modem with everything

http://www.billion.com/product/voip/BiPAC-7404VGOX-3G-VoIP-ADSL2-VPN-Firewall-Router-PSTN.html

ShaneB
06-03-2009, 3:54pm
FWIW: I'm happy with my Linksys 160 router (NB: not a modem-router).

They do make it (as I understand) with an ADSL modem built in.

Regards

Kodi
06-03-2009, 4:05pm
You don't need a MODEM/Router you already have a modem, you just need a router only (much cheaper) similar to the D-Link DI-524UP.
You run the cable you have running from the modem/router to the computer to the router instead of the computer. This gives you 4 wired connections plus wireless capability

Invictus
06-03-2009, 4:13pm
You have two options.
a) Replace your modem with one such as mine (except maybe the new N versions)
b) If you modem has more than one port you can get just the wireless part - but the can be messy and costs almost the same as a new modem with everything

This is correct - If you don't understand how DHCP and other network services work, then option A is the easiest. But you will still need to setup the network via the new modem/router.

Have a think about how far you want to be from the wireless router when using the netbook: If you want to use it a decent distance, and the signal has to pass through a lot of the house, then you may need to consider one of the models that has a greater range (eg rangemax from netgear, or mimo technology).
Ensure you set some security for the wireless connection (eg: WPA-PSK/2 ). All too often I find people with home wireless networks with no security turned on.
There are computer businesses that will come to your premises and do it all for you, quickly and properly.

Without getting too technical, good brand name products will be sufficient for the average household, though the signal quality over any reasonable distance is often affected by environmental variables.

Cheers, Matt

MattC
06-03-2009, 8:21pm
Thanks for the replies everyone :food04:
After searching whirlpool, I checked what wireless modems are supported by my ISP (Optus) and the one that Ving linked to is on the list - for just over $100 it seems to be reasonably priced? :confused013

Kodi
07-03-2009, 6:44am
Netgear make a heap of routers for around $60 as I stated before you don't want one with a built in modem.
Before you buy a modem/router check with Optus that they may charge you to come out and connect it.

oldfart
07-03-2009, 9:01am
Given you have a modem http://www.anyware.com.au/Browse/b51c6c98fd474d999a5bf54851ce14c5001ItemDetail.aspx

Only $40, Wireless access and 4 ethernet ports.

Hard to go wrong.

Seven
17-03-2009, 5:43pm
dont buy dlink

pommie
17-03-2009, 8:45pm
dont buy dlink
Might I ask why :confused013
I have a DLink 524UP and have had no trouble with it using a variety of wireless cards including DLink, running W98, XP, Vista 64&32, and various flavours of Linux including Ubuntu which is what I am using now on my machine.

Cheers David

oldfart
17-03-2009, 9:38pm
dont buy dlink

D-Link Power Supplies have a nasty habit of going bang.

Roof
28-03-2009, 12:07am
dont buy dlink

What's wrong with that, I have a adsl router/modem and a wirelessrouter and it works great