PDA

View Full Version : How to clear desktop Mac OSX

kaiser
02-03-2009, 1:10am
Hey guys/gals,

I've searched around on some Mac forums but can't find a clear simple answer.

Is there a quick way to clear the desktop of applications so only the Mac HD is showing? I want to put all of the application onto the Finder bar and have the desktop nice and clear. Is there a way to do it without any third party software?

cheers,

matt

discontinued
02-03-2009, 1:25am
If they're all just aliases (shortcuts) to the apps then a simple way is to just hit command+a then hold down command and select Mac HD. Drag those selected to the trash and empty.

By finder bar do mean the dock? If so you could make use of "stacks" and have your app folder easy to access, then just put your main apps on the dock for even quicker access.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/desktop.html

saratoga
02-03-2009, 1:30am
Hi Matt

why do you have any applications on your desktop?

They are normally all kept in the Applications folder......GO>Applications.

For the applications you use a lot, eg safari, mail, photoshop etc you can drag the application icon from the applications folder into the dock on your desktop. Alternatively you can open the application from the application folder. When it appears in the dock, if you click on the icon it will give you some options...one of which will be to "keep in dock".

I never have any applications on the desktop but have about 10 or so in the dock. Remember from the System Preferences under the Apple menu you can also choose to completey hide the dock and only have it appear when you move the mouse over the bottom of the screen

Hope this helps

DanNG
02-03-2009, 1:54am
You can also turn off the macintosh hd from displaying on the desktop if you like a nice clean look, finder menu/preferences/general tab.

Should be able to just drag applications into the finder sidebar.. but the dock is usually used for shortcuts. I have mine set to auto hide as screen real estate is at a minimum on a 13inch display..

kaiser
02-03-2009, 3:19pm
Thanks for the quick replies. I had just installed a few programs including Open Office, Adium and Skype and they all appeared on the desktop with a little drive icon beneath them. once I restarted the computer this morning they were gone so all is well :)

Calxoddity
02-03-2009, 4:45pm
Sounds like they were the mounted disk images for the application installers. Check that the apps work - if so, no problems!