PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a scratched lens I bought off a trader

jchik
26-02-2009, 11:19pm
Hi all,

I need your general advice.

Recently, I purchased a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 lens, used, from a trader on an auction site Oztion. Having been told it was only used a few times, no scratches or dust in the lens, I received it and to my amazement see a 1cm scratch smack bang in the middle of the lens.

I'm pretty mad at having been duped this way, but in any case I enter into negotiations with the seller on either a refund or compensation.

My question is: if I were to ask for compensation, how much would this scratch bring down the price? In other words - what would YOU pay for a scratched lens such as this?

I bought the lens for $400. It's pretty new actually (in the sellers defense) except for this scratch. I've tested the lens, the scratch does not seem to show up in pictures (as I probably expected) so it does not make much of a difference. The focus however seems to be a little off, but not by a mile. The IQ however, was not as I was hoping for with images being pretty darn soft actually when wide open and zoomed at 75mm.

Anyway, attached are some pictures of the scratch:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7756/scratch1markedoh1.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2006/scratch2markedsa6.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6427/scratch3markednv8.jpg

It was difficult to capture but I think I show the point.

So please let me know what a fair figure for compensation is. A refund is also possible, but to cut the story short - I don't trust this seller. It took a month for the lens to arrive (even after I paid for registered/express post) and it arrived only after threats which I don't like to do. So I'm not in the mood to send the lens back and hope for a refund.

Thanks guys.

trigger
27-02-2009, 12:20am
Hmm... if it doesnt smell right. I'd pull out and ask for full refund. Heck i mean you found a scratch, what next? loose elements?

arthurking83
27-02-2009, 12:32am
yep! refund....

ricktas
27-02-2009, 6:20am
I agree, not familiar with oztion, you might need to look at their policies etc, BUT Item was not as described in the add.(in fact if the seller did say no scratches or dust, they out and out lied)..so get a full refund.

jchik
27-02-2009, 8:03am
Hmm... if it doesnt smell right. I'd pull out and ask for full refund. Heck i mean you found a scratch, what next? loose elements?

I see what you mean. The lens like i said seems to be in top condition, does seem pretty new. What do you mean by loose elements? And how can you tell?

jchik
27-02-2009, 8:04am
I agree, not familiar with oztion, you might need to look at their policies etc, BUT Item was not as described in the add.(in fact if the seller did say no scratches or dust, they out and out lied)..so get a full refund.

Well, this is in fact what I did - submit an item significantly not as described claim. The problem i face now is that I do not want to send this item back without getting a full refund first, as this seller is notorious for not responding. Know what i mean? I could just be sending a lens into a black hole and never seeing anything back. I'm going to attempt to ask for a refund first then send, but not sure if that'll fly...

ricktas
27-02-2009, 8:06am
Good luck!

IanB
27-02-2009, 9:00am
Sounds like it has been dropped: full refund and they pay all freight and packing for BSing about it.

A scratch on the front element is not a real big drama; but the back element is a different story.

:)

Robjess
27-02-2009, 10:09am
Yep.. i would be going for a refund.. if the seller is in the same city I would drop it to him personally..

Ayjay
01-03-2009, 3:32pm
If it were me, I'd defnitely ask for a full refund - even recognising that you don't want to part with it until the refund comes through. You have nothing to lose in trying to get it. You mentioned that you'd already had to use threats with that seller to eventually get the lens - so if need be, threaten again - maybe negative comments on the Oztion site to minimise their reputation. Best of luck with it.

davwhite
01-03-2009, 4:20pm
I have bought from Oztion only once but the attitude looks the same from the sellers, very slow to post and no communication.
In your case I would speak to Oztion and asked them for their opinion. I feel you would lose one of the postage costs but you shouldn't have to pay to send it back.
Ask them for a ruling on that.
Finally what does the seller say? Has he agreed to refund the price?.
It is the reverse of a sale, you deposit and when he receives he posts, in this case he deposits and when you receive you post.
That is the simple answer because he has your money so he could do nothing.
I would be first getting an answer from the seller re refund and his postage costs and if that is not suitable then contact Oztion.

reaction
06-03-2009, 1:34pm
Yeh, a scratched lens is uselss.
That;s why u never buy 2nd hand w/o seeing it 1st.

trigger
06-03-2009, 2:03pm
Not really. Ive seen lenses with massive scratches or cracks to the front element and it doesnt show in the image or at a specific focal length.

However if you scratch the rear lens your stuffed. it shows up in every image.

reaction
06-03-2009, 4:39pm
yes, maybe, but a scratched lens is one I would buy for $1 if it's new ->
a scratched lens that I have is one I would try to sell on crapBay as 'good condition' for $5

like buying a keyboard missing the 'z' key - oh you won't notice it 95% of the time. until you want to type "i went to the oo today"

jchik
07-03-2009, 11:13pm
Well, I gave the seller two options:

1. Full refund and they pay postage plus give me the money first before I send back; or
2. Partial refund of 50% of the cost of purchase and call it even.

They chose (2).

I still haven't seen a cent.

trigger
07-03-2009, 11:17pm
Have you quoted on the price for a front element replacement?
They are easy to replace but might be $$$ for the part itself

reaction
09-03-2009, 3:46pm
ur letting them off easy.
nobody gives refund of 50% of the cost unless they KNOW they've been caught red-handed.

Seesee
12-03-2009, 8:44am
I'd be asking for a full refund, no comprimise, the 28-75's come up fairly often on ebay,got mine for $340;00 with CPL and ND8 filters. Any scratch or defect at all pretty much renders them worthless on the secondhand market which may not effect you at all.

Probably dont need this advice but.....I never..never buy anything from anyone unles I'm 100% sure they are reliable, you stated he is notorious for lack of respose...avoid dealing with these jerks.

PS : the Tamron 28-75 is a bit soft wide open and at full reach, but to get better IQ you would need to be buying pro grade lenses at well over $1000.00....still a very fine bit of glass. Mine has a 5mm scratch on the rear element caused by me :o , but never shows at all in images, but I hate it being there :rolleyes: