PDA

View Full Version : Dell 2408wfp (rant)

kaiser
24-02-2009, 10:25am
This is one of the monitors on my shortlist along with some of the other mentined LCDs on the forum such as the Samsung 214T and the NEC Spectra Vision. At the moment the online listed price for the Dell is $999! Last night it was $899. In January it could be had for $639 with coupon and in December $535 with coupon. Is it mainly the exchange rate influencing this trend- or is it more a case of Dell blind raping us with their back and forth price jumps? Are we ever likely to see this model down at the $550 mark again? Sure it's a great screen but when I can get the 214t for $580 the dell doesn't look value for money. Is it just a matter of keeping a watchful eye out for coupons or the elusive dell "24hr specials". I believe the 2408wfp is a fairly recent model so could be a while waiting for a 2409 to come out. Arch stupid marketing ploys!

ricktas
24-02-2009, 10:32am
exchange rates are the main issue along with companies making loses (as we see in the financial sections daily). They are now cutting staff, increasing prices etc as well.

Will we see it return to the low levels of the past..maybe...but when it does happen the 2408 will be an obsolete model (ie, it won't come down in the short term).

Calxoddity
24-02-2009, 10:38am
Caution! The 2409 is already out, but in a particular fit of sneakiness, it's a definite step down from the 2408. The 2408 remains Dell's top of the range 24" LCD screen.

Whenever I'm thinking of buying a Dell monitor, I check the pricing at least weekly because, as you've observed, it's all over the place. The $899 or similar lower price should reappear in a couple of weeks if past trends are anything to go by. I agree with Rick that the bargain prices you saw before xmas are unlikely in the short term, but around end of FY you may see some further incentives.

Regards,
Calx

DanNG
24-02-2009, 10:39pm
For the extra dollars the NEC is a much better monitor. I had a Dell 2407-HC, not a fan.

Tannin
24-02-2009, 11:01pm
if you want an honest value deal, why are you looking at Dell? Not a firm that has ever been renowned for business ethics. You'd do better to deal with someone you trust.

MrJorge
24-02-2009, 11:03pm
Been wanting one of these for ages. I too am annoyed I let it slip by @ about $550 or so. Grrr.

kaiser
24-02-2009, 11:58pm
if you want an honest value deal, why are you looking at Dell? Not a firm that has ever been renowned for business ethics. You'd do better to deal with someone you trust.
Because at $535- it was a damn good deal. Although their business ethics won't win them a Noble prize- they do have a decent customer service and warranty.

Dan AU
25-02-2009, 11:27am
I have ordered my self a BenQ E2200HD Monitor which is supposed to be pretty good, it is on the lower end of the price range.

Yesterday dell had a 23 incher on their DFO site for 250 . You can pick up some good bargains sometimes , it is stock that people have ordered and then don't want.

Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=dfo

Colinz
25-02-2009, 4:59pm
Keep the price in perspective! I have 2 year old Dell 2407 that I paid what was a bargain price at the time of $1300. And tannin's warning has some merit- I can trace spam faxes that I regularly get to my purchase of the monitor.

Try and find some forums that discuss the Dell monitors because there are versions of the panel that can be good or bad. Some gaming forums are good.

Apart from all that the monitor is excellent.

I @ M
25-02-2009, 6:01pm
why are you looking at Dell?

they do have a decent customer service and warranty.

Strange that I read the post 10 mins after I got off the phone from Dell -----
Or more accurately, after I was "cut off" the phone to the Dell service centre which i suspect was located somewhere in Pakistan.

We, read SWMBO, needs a new monitor and having bought a laptop and a monitor from Dell in the past and received good service I thought I would give them a look ----- never again I am afraid, their service has turned to manure in a big way.

Good price or not they are off the list for ever now.

kaiser
25-02-2009, 11:39pm
Sorryto hear about your bad experience with Dell. I don't think their systems represent good value but the LCD in question has been getting consistently good reviews from reliable sites and forums and at it's lowest advertised price- represented good value. I have heard more good things than bad about Dell custmer service and from this I made an assumption.

BLWNHR
26-02-2009, 9:04am
Dell change their specials every Thursday. I don't know why that price changed Tuesday, possibly a stock issue? Anyhow, things come up on special on about a 3-week cycle. If it isn't on sale this Thursday wait for 3-weeks and more than likely it will come up again.

Also, if you have bartering skills then call them. I know they say on the site you get better deals if you use the online store, but call them. If they were doing that exact model for a significantly reduced price not to long ago they will probably do it again for you if you ring up. Hell, I was buying 19" LCD's for $160 inc delivery off them when the online price was $199 and the equivelant model in a store was $249.

I deal with Dell multiple times a year, upgrades for my businesses, new systems etc. I also have a couple of IT partners and between us the spend is into 6-figures. We've been dealing with them for 4 or 5 years and the worst problems we've ever had was through fault of a local courier. Through a roll-out across an entire technical college of PC and laptops there was 1 system that had an issue and a replacement system was here by the end of the week.