PDA

View Full Version : Question on AVG Scan when Scanning Whole System

Miaow
23-02-2009, 2:16pm
Bit of a technical Q here for AVG users - is there someway in the scan whole system scan I can make it not scan one particular directory????

AVG takes an hour or 2 even to scan through one of my game dirs and since I know there are no viruses in there I would like it if possible to skip it in future so I can complete the whole system scan WAY faster (at the time i am posting this post 2.16 this scan has been running since 11am :eek:)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kym
23-02-2009, 2:45pm
Not in the free version. The pro version (I think) allows selective directories (it did in previous versions).

Miaow
23-02-2009, 3:04pm
rats - yeah I'm using free - If I could get rid of that Dir from the scan it will save me hours :/

And yeah its still scanning :eek:

Miaow
23-02-2009, 3:17pm
I spose i could set it up to scan folders and then do all of them but it :confused:

Kym
23-02-2009, 3:25pm
I don't run scans regularly :eek: - only when I've loaded something suspect, and only on certain directories - before and after I install it. And I do do some very suspect things :D

Basically I practice safe computing!
I get no value for full system scanning when the in-memory / on-load scanner is active anyway.
If you don't have a virus today, and you don't load anything suspect, you won't have one tomorrow.

Your best system defence is good regular multi generation / copy backups, not virus scanning.

Miaow
23-02-2009, 3:33pm
Yeah very true Kym - i spose i just dont feel safe unless i do this full system scan - then again I have Comodo and AVG and so I should be safe - they pick up anything out of the ordinary run time :)

oldfart
23-02-2009, 3:44pm
Bit of a technical Q here for AVG users - is there someway in the scan whole system scan I can make it not scan one particular directory????

AVG takes an hour or 2 even to scan through one of my game dirs and since I know there are no viruses in there I would like it if possible to skip it in future so I can complete the whole system scan WAY faster (at the time i am posting this post 2.16 this scan has been running since 11am :eek:)

Any ideas?

Thanks

In AVG / Computer Scanner, highlight the scheduled scan and click edit scan Schedule.

Select What to Scan, Select Specific Files and Folders, and select which folders you do want scanned
Excluding just one is as easy as selecting all then removing the tick from which ever folder you no longer wish to scan.

I think this is what you were trying to achieve.

Kym
23-02-2009, 3:49pm
In AVG / Computer Scanner, highlight the scheduled scan and click edit scan Schedule.
Select What to Scan, Select Specific Files and Folders, and select which folders you do want scanned
Excluding just one is as easy as selecting all then removing the tick from which ever folder you no longer wish to scan.

I use Avast! now. AVG (free) used to only let you schedule a full scan, not a partial. So this is an improvement.

Miaow
23-02-2009, 4:18pm

I think this is the way - Thanks :)

(Just altered it for everything in program files but that dir)

Will see if skips - as running whole scan again to check