PDA

View Full Version : Polarising Filter and Lens Hoods

lampukameister
20-02-2009, 7:03pm
Sorry if this has been covered before but I could not find it if it has.

I bit the bullet and bought a polarising filter and have been experimenting with it.

this might sound like a stupid question - but how does one use a CPL with a lens hood.

I usually like to keep the lens hood on - but for the life of me - I can;t really work the polariser when the lens hood is attached. I can;t really get my hand in to turn it without sticking my fingers all over the filter itself.

is there a technique - or should I just take the lens hood off?

old dog
20-02-2009, 7:50pm
yes, I have the same problem. I just remove the lens hood, set the polariser to the correct position and replace the hood. You get used to it very quickly. You can do it with the hood on if you know where the correct position is. I`m assuming they are all the same as the join in the ring is opposite the white mark, so I can just set the join at the bottom. Easy. I do admit that getting your finger in there is a trick.

ricktas
20-02-2009, 8:10pm
I use my fingernails. while looking though the viefinder, I slide one finger down the inside of the lens hood till it bumps against the edge of the filter, then use my fingernail to turn the edge of the filter.

MarkChap
21-02-2009, 8:51am
I`m assuming they are all the same as the join in the ring is opposite the white mark, so I can just set the join at the bottom.

Thats handy to know, must check mine, I actually just applied a very small amount of liquid paper so I could see the white mark.

Seesee
21-02-2009, 11:42am
It's not easy with the lens hood attached, I generally remove my hood to use a CPL, but at times that can result in some sun flare on filter.

lampukameister
21-02-2009, 1:34pm
I use my fingernails. while looking though the viefinder, I slide one finger down the inside of the lens hood till it bumps against the edge of the filter, then use my fingernail to turn the edge of the filter.

how do you see what is happening when you do that?

one of my main problems was getting my fat hand and fingers out of the way when looking through the viewfinder and turning the filter :confused013

ricktas
21-02-2009, 1:41pm
Maybe cause I use a tripod for landscapes, fairly much all the time? I have never really thought about it, Just setup the camera on the tripod. Look through viewfinder and use tip of finger to rotate polariser inside lens hood.

Tannin
21-02-2009, 2:24pm
The outer rim of the filter usually sticks up a bit. By reaching a finger in alongside the lens hood (much as Rictas does) you can put your fingertip onto the tough, knurled rim of the filter and turn it. It take care and practice, and you still get fingermarks on the damn thing sometimes, but it works. Sort of. No doubt it depends a bit on the sort of hood you have too.

But I agree with your fundamental point - surely there is a better way to design the things in the first place?

stevemack
21-02-2009, 3:27pm
I have a little window on my lens hood that clips out when useing a polarizing filter,great idea cheers.

steve.

Seesee
22-02-2009, 11:03am
I have a little window on my lens hood that clips out when useing a polarizing filter,great idea cheers.

steve.

That's interesting, never seen that on a hood before, did you modify it or buy it like that ?

stevemack
22-02-2009, 11:38am
Its manufactured like that col its an excellent idea
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30980&stc=1&d=1235263095
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30981&stc=1&d=1235263095
steve.

mcdesign
22-02-2009, 12:02pm
An interesting thread, I never use my lens hoods, last time I did I got very bad vignetting in the corners! I really don't know much about using them or when to? Margaret

clm738
22-02-2009, 12:04pm
Steve, what brand of lens hood are they, Fuji or something else.

I have found I only have to turn my CP filter 1/4 turn for maximum effect. 1x Hoya 1x Tamron. Do you find the same distance or not?

stevemack
22-02-2009, 12:06pm
Hi margaret lens hoods are used to stop lens flare in bright sunlit situations but does'nt work all the time its just to try and illiminate as much as possible and it can also save your lens glass from scratches and from damage if dropped cheers.

steve.

Darvidanoar
22-02-2009, 2:08pm
Its manufactured like that col its an excellent idea
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30980&stc=1&d=1235263095
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30981&stc=1&d=1235263095
steve.

Hey, Steve. What make are those lens hoods? I use a CP filter a lot and trying to rotate it with a lens hood onis so inconvenient, I find I'm avoiding the hood altogether.

mcdesign
22-02-2009, 2:21pm
Hi margaret lens hoods are used to stop lens flare in bright sunlit situations but does'nt work all the time its just to try and illiminate as much as possible and it can also save your lens glass from scratches and from damage if dropped cheers.

steve.

Thanks Steve, I will have to give it a try next time I take a sunset. Margaret

wwwmorrell
22-02-2009, 4:17pm
Hey, Steve. What make are those lens hoods? I use a CP filter a lot and trying to rotate it with a lens hood onis so inconvenient, I find I'm avoiding the hood altogether.

Most of Pentax newer lense's "DA's" all come standard with this feature. :D :D

Will post if I find any third party hoods to fit your model.

Wal'