PDA

View Full Version : Speedlight not firing

mercho
17-02-2009, 11:56am
Hey Guys,

I rarely use flash, and today am using a nikon speedlight sb-28dx, and am having real troubles getting it to fire.

I am not too familiar with the camera i am using whih is a Kodak DCS pro slr/n (basically a nikon) and i have tried it in a few modes, but the flash is only firein every now and then?

Any basic settings i should be using?

arrrgh :o

TEITZY
17-02-2009, 12:29pm
Not familiar with the body or flash but they are definitely compatible so should work fine in D-TTL mode. Maybe the flash or hot shoe contacts need cleaning? What settings are are you using?

Cheers
Leigh

mercho
17-02-2009, 12:39pm
Not familiar with the body or flash but they are definitely compatible so should work fine in D-TTL mode. Maybe the flash or hot shoe contacts need cleaning? What settings are are you using?

Cheers
Leigh

Thanks for the rely.. I have been using DDTL and A on the flash, and A and P modes on the camera.. Seems to be a bit more successful on P mode too :confused013

ving
17-02-2009, 1:42pm
i get that from time to time. make sure the hotshoe contacts are clean. even if they look clean it doesnt take much to efect performance so give them a wipe anyhow. :)

umm... thats camera end and flash btw.

enduro
17-02-2009, 1:45pm
agree with cleaning.

my flash often does not work and I just rub the flash and on camera contacts with my shirt and I'm off again.

remarkably, there is no visible dirt on them and I can only assume there may be a little corrosion that is causing enough resistance to stop the flash firing.

ehor
17-02-2009, 4:32pm
Is the flash re-cycling fast enough?
Tried with fresh batteries?

mercho
17-02-2009, 5:01pm
Thanks guys, cleaning it seemed to help, but still had the problem.. ended up dealing with it!

Is the flash re-cycling fast enough?
Tried with fresh batteries?

Yeah i think thats what it was, i didn't have any AA Batteries at hand, but ill try this tommorrow

Thanks everyone! :th3:

Seesee
17-02-2009, 7:52pm
I have the occasional problem with this as well, a wipe on the contacts or a slight jiggle while on it' mount often cures for a while.

MarkW
17-02-2009, 8:00pm
I dont think an SB28/SB28DX is a full DTTL flash. It was one of the early hybrid flashes really designed for a 35mm film body (much like the SB26 & SB27) but the DSLR's were just coming on the scene so it was designed for both. It is rated for working with the Nikon D1 body but no other bodies are listed (ref: Thom Hogan flash guide) which presumes that it may not be suitable for your Kodak.

Until you get it running fully - try using it as a manual (full power) flash rather than using the DTTL and Fill Flash.

mercho
19-02-2009, 9:51am
Thanks guys, had it on manual mode at it seemed to work great!

:th3: