PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card cooling fans

farmer_rob
15-02-2009, 11:29pm
The fan on my graphics card has started to make nasty dying noises. Has anyone had experience replacing the fan on video cards? Any recommendations? Everything on the net seems to be total overkill, but I was considering some of the Thermaltake coolers or the Zalman coolers. (I have an Nvidia GeForce 6800.)

Kym
15-02-2009, 11:53pm
The fan on my graphics card has started to make nasty dying noises. Has anyone had experience replacing the fan on video cards? Any recommendations? Everything on the net seems to be total overkill, but I was considering some of the Thermaltake coolers or the Zalman coolers. (I have an Nvidia GeForce 6800.)

Both coolers are good and generally quieter than the factor unit. Make sure you get the right one and be careful re: static when installing.
Zalman VFU700-Cu is ok.

Tannin
16-02-2009, 12:42am
The trouble with graphics card coolers is tha the damn things often cost more than your card is worth. Before you buy a cooler, double check what card you have and whether it would make more sense to just replacde the whole thing, prefferably with a passive-cooled card. Or, if it seems to be running nice and cool anyway, consider just removing the fan and taking a chance. If you have a cool-running card and your case is well ventillated and you don't thrash the system running stupid games, you can often get years of life out of the graphics card. (How do you know it's running cool? Touch it. If it's too hot to touch, it's too hot. If you can put your finger firmly on the chip and leave it there without discomfort, it's fine.)

Tannin
16-02-2009, 1:08am
Sorry, I didn't see that it ws a 6800. As Darksome says, they are a bit too hot to get away without a fan. Some of the older cards are fine, but that would be pushing your luck.

Calxoddity
16-02-2009, 8:07am
Also check out how much for a new card altogether - perhaps you can justify "more power"? ;-)

I always took fans failing as a reminder to replace the parts that were working hard.

Regards,
Calx

oldfart
16-02-2009, 10:50am
I have a high opinion of Zalman fans, they've been known to cure a lot of graphic card overheating issues over a long period of time.

Planted
16-02-2009, 12:05pm
i used to run one of these on my 6800GT and was very happy with it...
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?mID=193&cPath=2&pid_list=193%2C2&x=7&y=13

Planted
16-02-2009, 12:25pm
i used to run an Arctic cooler " NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3 " on my 6800GT and was very happy with the results...
i have one available, if you want PM me...

Jordan Compte
16-02-2009, 10:17pm
Sorry, I didn't see that it ws a 6800. As Darksome says, they are a bit too hot to get away without a fan. Some of the older cards are fine, but that would be pushing your luck.

that is a pretty bad video card, heck I've got a 7300 GS 512mb just sitting in my wardrobe, I'm currently running a BFG 8800GT OC 512mb it was $230 brand new, and out performs the 9800 series ahaha, if your after a good/decent card.

this is from Umart right now, best budget card on the market I'd say
Gigabyte ATI HD4850 1G PCI-E2.0 GDDR3 HDMI HDCP Fan Internet Price: $296.00

that thing will last you 5-6years + if you take good care of it!

farmer_rob
16-02-2009, 10:26pm
Thanks for your comments - I have committed to a Zalman VF-900. (I have the space in the case.) I can't justify a new card - the fan is still cheaper. I don't do gaming - the biggest loads are photo stuff, google earth and the occasional graphics program - and spare cash will go on something photographic :D.

The old fan is dying due to dust: when it stops its horrid whiny bearing noise, the GPU temp spikes over 80C; unfortunately, the whiny noise when it is running is unbearable :o

farmer_rob
16-02-2009, 10:34pm
Oh, and I haven't time to research a new card.