PDA

View Full Version : Making a wall of light

Bunyip
09-02-2009, 12:33pm
I've bought a three-metre background stand from a friend, and I'd like to buy some translucent white material to hang from it. The idea is to place the screen between a strobe and a subject in order to wrap the subject in very soft light. I understand that, in photography lingo, such a screen is called a silk (somebody please confirm that).

Do you know where I can obtain translucent white material?

mercho
09-02-2009, 1:05pm
Wouldn't it be easier to just use a softbox?

I think thats the same affect your after? I could be completely wrong though :o

Bunyip
09-02-2009, 1:18pm
Well yeah, I suppose I could, but it would have to be a really, really big one in order to give the same degree of light-wrapping-around-ness.

I picked up the background stands for $70. I believe that the cost of a huge soft box and a stand capable of supporting it and the flash would be much greater than my background stands and some material. We'll see.

I @ M
09-02-2009, 4:49pm
Try spotlight for shower curtain material it comes in a variety of widths and then buy by the metre.

Bunyip
09-02-2009, 5:03pm
Try spotlight for shower curtain material it comes in a variety of widths and then buy by the metre.

That's a good idea. I also wonder about old parachute canopies, but I have no idea how you go about getting one.

kiwi
09-02-2009, 5:28pm
Army surplus stores might sell parachute silk

But, yeah, spotlight sells all sort of great material

HappySnapper
24-04-2009, 4:10pm
I've bought a three-metre background stand from a friend, and I'd like to buy some translucent white material to hang from it.....Do you know where I can obtain translucent white material?

Spotlight....You're going to ask them for "Ripstop Nylon".

Hope this helps,

HappySnapper.

(PS, I've just started a Where do you get it DownUnder ? (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=29764) Thread !!! )

jev
24-04-2009, 8:51pm
Shower curtain from IKEA. For just $4 or so you can get a nice clean semi-transparent curtain 200x180 cm. The thing allows just as much light to pass as the real ripstop used in my Bowens softbox. You might have to replace it every couple of years though because it yellows a bit with time.