PDA

View Full Version : Photos look different in RAW to Photoshop

wideangle
08-02-2009, 11:47am
When I edit my photos in my RAW editor (Canon DPP) and then transfer them into Photoshop I have found the same image to have slightly different detail in the areas where the image may sometimes show signs of slight break up/banding say in cloud/darker areas. The image is worse in the RAW editor than it is in Photoshop??

The RAW editor is using the same colour space profile I used when I calibrated my monitor.

Any ideas as to why there is a difference in the image quality and why this may be happening?.

Dizzy Photographics
08-02-2009, 11:52am
No idea really but can i ask why you dont just use photoshop for the raw image aswell, if you're only taking the photo over to photoshop anyway?

wideangle
08-02-2009, 11:57am
No idea really but can i ask why you dont just use photoshop for the raw image aswell, if you're only taking the photo over to photoshop anyway?

Because I personally find that the supplied Canon program is much better at processing the RAW files than the Photoshop RAW converter.

Dizzy Photographics
08-02-2009, 12:08pm
ok cool...i havent done much with raw before. I have a program that came with my pentax too but havent used it at all, not because i dont want to or i think photoshop is better...i just havent thought to lol...i want to edit a photo it's just automatic to open it in photoshop lol. Crazy really when it's such a complicated program IMO anyways lol.

Good luck in getting some answers about the image quality :)

wideangle
08-02-2009, 12:12pm
Thanks Deb - I am just more curious than anything as to why there would be this subtle shift. I am tending to think its possibly something to do with my TN screen, but then again changing from program to program sounds like it may be something to do with the software not the hardware.

Nicholas N
09-02-2009, 10:50am
It would more than likely be a difference in algorithms used to open and display the images.

wideangle
09-02-2009, 3:09pm
It would more than likely be a difference in algorithms used to open and display the images.

Cool, yeah that sounds like it could be it.

ricktas
09-02-2009, 3:24pm
The colourspace you define for your monitor, when calibrating should not be loaded into colourspace aware applications.

The colour profile you have set during calibration is loaded into the video card of your PC at start-up. You should then just continue to use the colourspace of your choice in your editing software (sRGB / AdobeRGB / etc).

A lot of people make the mistake of using their calibrated monitor profile as their photoshop, etc, profile. They are not designed to be set that way.

So calibrate your monitor, then set your preferred colourspace in all your editing applications, but don't use your monitor one.

wideangle
09-02-2009, 3:49pm
So calibrate your monitor, then set your preferred colourspace in all your editing applications, but don't use your monitor one.

Yes, but in DPP there are 2 options in the colour management settings of which are for monitor colour management as well as the image output (srgb/adobe rgb). The default for both are set on sRGB, but then when you transfer that photo into photoshop the colours would be different.

wideangle
09-02-2009, 3:52pm
Here is a screen grab I have found that illistrates what I am saying:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/photos/fullres/canon_dpp_2.jpg

ricktas
09-02-2009, 3:55pm
Ah Ok, looks like DPP works a bit differently to most.

wideangle
09-02-2009, 3:58pm
Yeah, I think the program confuses things, as the average user isn't going to go into these settings, and from memory the default setting for monitor display are set to sRGB not the monitor profile! I started to see a change in colours when transferring them over and then found out I had to change the settings. I reckon my intial question about breakup etc is something to do with the code that each program uses as a previous poster pointed out.

Nicholas N
09-02-2009, 7:37pm
Remember if your shooting in Adobe RGB things are going to look slighty different as they are displayed in sRGB.