PDA

View Full Version : Strobist Club

swifty
04-02-2009, 11:40pm
This is just a wild idea but would anyone here be interested in some sort of a group or club where we can get together and try out different shoots in the strobist style. I've got some equipment but with this style of shooting, the setups can get quite complicated and as thet say, the more the merrier...
I just think it would be fun, not to mention the experience we would gain.

Should I have posted this in the AP meetup forum? :confused013

BTW I'm located in Sydney but this can happen for anyone else in other states if they are interested in of course.

kaiser
05-02-2009, 12:30am
I'd be keen to do something similar in Brissy :)

bigdazzler
05-02-2009, 12:46am
Im in Sydney, id be up for that. It something I wanna learn some more about.

Bunyip
05-02-2009, 7:03am
I'm interested. I'm not sure I would want to be considered a member of a club, but I would welcome opportunities to meet with other Australian Photography strobists every now and then.

swifty
05-02-2009, 9:18pm
I'm interested. I'm not sure I would want to be considered a member of a club, but I would welcome opportunities to meet with other Australian Photography strobists every now and then.

Oops..I didn't actually mean a club but just a casual meet. Is there any way I can change the thread title?

But the idea is to get together for something hands-on, to replicate something we've seen or try a technique you've read about etc.

Being strobist orientated, I guess I should point out that the basis for these types of photography is using off-camera strobes. So equipment required should include camera, remote strobe and a way of triggering it. But if you don't, it doesn't matter. I'd be happy to share my gear even though my setup is quite simple.
I'm just using Nikon's CLS to trigger my two SB800's. I also have a light stand and a convertible white/shoot through umbrella and one white/gold reflector.

So we have 2 ppl that may be interested so far: Darren and Bunyip.
Thanks for replying BTW. U too, Kaiser but sorry I probably won't be much help for your Brisbane meet but by all means, please join in on the discussion and you can get some ideas for your own meet.

We gotta figure out a few things I guess.
1. Theme or style we'd like to try
2. Location
3. Time/date

Lets throw some ideas around :)

kaiser
05-02-2009, 11:08pm
Well I could throw out some ideas for you guys to experiment with. Here are some that I'd like to practice more anyway :)
-On location potraiture - balancing subject exposure to background using off camera flash
-Still lifes
-Painting with light - what I did with the bike but maybe with torches, leds as well as flashguns.
- Stop motion stuff, water droplets etc.
-Stroboscopic / multiple exposures

I'm sure others will have some more stuff that I can't think right now. Will be good to get a few people together, I'm willing to share my strobe gear for people that would like to try b4 they buy :)

Cheers,

matt.

Allann
05-02-2009, 11:23pm
I'd be willing to give it a go in Bris some time, I've got 2 Canon 430 and a 580 flash, does that count as strobist gear? Would be quite interested in location portraits.

swifty
05-02-2009, 11:57pm
I posted some examples of stuff I've done around the house in the Posed gallery forum.

Thanks Kaiser for your suggestions.

I've done a few "sessions" in my house or at a friend's place but am keen to try on-location environmental portraits or shooting cars on location. Am a little afraid I may not have enough juice in the SB800 to do outdoor shoots but that's one thing I was hoping to find out.

Also, light-painting is very cool especially after seeing Dave Black's examples on his website.

kaiser
06-02-2009, 3:54am
The sb800 will have enough power as long as you keep the lighting to subject distance quite short and keeping in my that diffusing and bouncing eats up a lot of that power. Plus if a few PPP bring along compatible speedlights etc - more the merrier :)

virgal_tracy
06-02-2009, 11:56am
Add me to the list of interested parties.Would love the opportunity to experiment and learn fwith / from others.

ehor
06-02-2009, 12:03pm
I'd be in, been meaning to try a "day in to night" shoot over powering the sun with strobes :p
I've got background kit, 2 light stands, umbrellas, 4 strobes and no talent.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment, anyone got a garage or backyard etc we could take over for a few hours?

chikabelley
09-02-2009, 9:49pm
I'd like to meet up in Syd too.

In fact, I've organised a few already. See: StrobeAust: Australian Strobists organising local strobist meets http://www.flickr.com/groups/aussiestrobists/

swifty
10-02-2009, 11:29pm
Cool. So we got 2 more interested. Vince and Chikabelley, I'll add u guys to the list.
Ok.. looks like we got a little group going now.

I think I'll try to get things going by proposing some dates. I'm guessing Sundays might be the best day for most ppl.
So we have
Feb 15th (too early?)
Feb 22nd (possible Mt annan meet)
March 1st (possible Mt annan meet)
March 8th
March 15th
March 22nd
March 29th (Sydney AP meet)
The Mt Annan meet is being rescheduled and I don't want to clash with that but the date has not been comfirmed yet. But right now, early-mid March looks like a possible candidate.

Place: I live in Pyrmont and there are some nice alleyways and old buildings as well as Anzac bridge, that might lend itself to a nice backdrop. I'll have a scope around for good locations. Other suggestions?

Theme: I think we can play by ear on this. Lets just try to get everyone together and we'll use each other as models unless someone has a friend who doesn't mind doing some posing for the day :)

I'd like to meet up in Syd too.

In fact, I've organised a few already. See: StrobeAust: Australian Strobists organising local strobist meets http://www.flickr.com/groups/aussiestrobists/

Hey Chikabelley: so glad u posted. Looks like you've got much more experience at organising these sorts of meets. You got any tips and suggestions.

chikabelley
11-02-2009, 10:00pm
Loving the Pyrmont location. I'm there too. :)

I do sport on Sunday am.

Feb 22nd (possible Mt annan meet) works for me after 1pm
March 1st (possible Mt annan meet) works for me after 1pm
March 15th works for me after 1pm
March 29th (Sydney AP meet) works for me after 1pm

If we're going to be the models then the biggest thing to organise is number of people, their level of experience with strobist stuff, trigger systems and gear.

chikabelley
12-02-2009, 2:50pm
can;t see how to edit.

Can't do 22nd Feb now.

swifty
23-02-2009, 3:01pm
Hi everyone,
sorry for the delay. I havn't abandoned the thread.. I've just been rather busy in the last week or so.
Anyways.. I think its easiest if I just set a day and ppl can pop down if they are free unless that day is bad for almost everyone.

Provisional date of meet:
Sunday 8th March
Time: After lunch say 2 or 3pm
Location: Pyrmont (I will scout around for more specific places)
Triggering system: play by ear. I don't know what everyone has and in the event everyone has different systems, at least we can have a look to see how it works in real life as oppose to just reading about it.

PM me if you are able to make it and we can exchange mobile numbers.

swifty
23-02-2009, 3:04pm
Hi everyone,
sorry for the delay. I havn't abandoned the thread.. I've just been rather busy in the last week or so.
Anyways.. I think its easiest if I just set a day and ppl can pop down if they are free unless that day is bad for almost everyone.

Provisional date of meet:
Sunday 8th March
Time: After lunch say 2 or 3pm
Location: Pyrmont (I will scout around for more specific places)
Triggering system: play by ear. I don't know what everyone has and in the event everyone has different systems, at least we can have a look to see how it works in real life as oppose to just reading about it.

PM me if you are able to make it and we can exchange mobile numbers.

oops.. try again. I just realized I picked a date that Chikabelly said couldn't do.
How bout the following Sunday. the 15th March.
Same location and time

swifty
10-03-2009, 11:30pm
I've cancelled the meet for Sunday due to lack of interest. Oh well. I was hoping to do a shoot with everyone. If anyone is interested for future meets, PM me. I'm still keen to meet with other strobists for a workshop for the record.

djaef
16-03-2009, 3:46pm
Hello. I'm on the Sunshine Coast, and I'd love a strobist meet-up. Anyone up this way?

djaef
11-04-2009, 2:42pm
seems not huh?

DzRbenson
11-04-2009, 3:11pm
I would like to do this, Im from Sydney, Not far from Parramatta