PDA

View Full Version : Round black shadow on the bottom

DzRbenson
04-02-2009, 8:41pm
Question all.

My fiance has been taking some photos with the 17-70mm lens. Now I have a question when the lens has the small lens hood on and when the flash is used at 17mm there is a round black shadow at the bottom of every shot.

Now I haven't had time to test or upload photo's but my thoughts are the flash is hitting the hood causing the shadow.

Now quickly I took the lens hood off and the shadow is gone and only tiny on some pics.

Is this because the flash hits the lens hood at 17mm? I will try and get photos up later.

DzRbenson
04-02-2009, 8:48pm
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/3252127103_6a021c5938_o.jpg

B D H
04-02-2009, 9:13pm
Hi DZB

I'm pretty sure it's the flash (built in) & the hood causing this
The very thing happened to me with a canon 17-85 (at 17mm) and it's hood

I guess it's all part of the learning curve
Because of the wide angle, mine was even being affected by a polarizing filter, at each corner it was darkened

stevemack
04-02-2009, 9:19pm
Hi Dz its your lens hood causing the problem cheers.

steve.

tannyboy
04-02-2009, 10:28pm
Yup its the pop up flash causing the problem and the hood (and maybe the length of the lens) blocking off the light.

When my sister borrowed my 24-70 sigma it happened to her.

ricktas
04-02-2009, 10:43pm
Definitely lens hood. With some lenses and setups, even without a hood, the edge of the actual lens does the same thing. But in your case, remove the lens hood and you should be just fine.

Seesee
04-02-2009, 11:12pm
I noticed this once with one of my lenses, took the hood off and no worries.....however when it happened to me the shadow wasn't like yours, it was up the other way, concave not convex ? Almost looks like the shadow from the photgrapher bending over to take a picture and that's their shadow.

bigdazzler
05-02-2009, 2:18am
Happened to me too when I first got my camera .. it is definitely the hood, and sometimes, as Rick said, the flash can clip the edge of the lens barrel too .. it usually happens when you use a zoom at the long end and are standing too close to your subject, or shooting from a slightly downward perspective, as in the example photo of the birthday cake .. for it to be clipping at 17mm you must be standing pretty close to your subjects though .. ultimate solution: external flashgun :)