PDA

View Full Version : © Symbol

clm738
30-01-2009, 10:35pm
Hi Guys,
Does the copyright symbol have to be in typed style or can it be handwritten and still be legal?

kiwi
30-01-2009, 10:56pm
My understanding is either are as meaningless as each other. You automatically have copyright on your images and it matters not what you watermark them with, or at all

dbax
30-01-2009, 11:01pm
In CS3 go to the tool under the text tool in the tool pallette,
Right click and select Custon Shape tool,
now under "window" on the menu bar you'll see the word shape?
to the right of that you'll see a shape (maybe a horizontal arrow)
and to the right of that a small arrow head pointing down!
select that arrow head which will give you options
the Copyright symbal is the last on the second last row

There is a far simpler way I just can't think of it at the moment perhaps some one else will come along with it. good luck:D

Dooh.... miss read your post time for bed me thinks:o

Bunyip
30-01-2009, 11:14pm
I believe that Kiwi is correct; from the moment the image burns itself onto the sensor, you own the copyright for it, regardless of any symbols subsequently attached, or not.

clm738
30-01-2009, 11:24pm
dbax the easy way is Alt+0169 on numeric pad.
kiwi & Bunyip thanks for your help.

saratoga
30-01-2009, 11:58pm
I believe you own the copyright regardless of whether you mark the image or not.....I suppose marking the image just makes it clear to people who may not be aware of this.

And on a Mac....the © symbol is "option" + "g"

Hobberz
31-01-2009, 1:20am
In Australia who evers pushes the shutter button automatically ownes copyright of that image.

I think i have even read that if you are using someone elses camera(for some reason), if you are the one to press that shutter button you own that image.

I stand to be corrected but i am pretty sure that i have read that off this forum.

ricktas
31-01-2009, 8:15am
In Australia who evers pushes the shutter button automatically ownes copyright of that image.

I think i have even read that if you are using someone elses camera(for some reason), if you are the one to press that shutter button you own that image.

I stand to be corrected but i am pretty sure that i have read that off this forum.

You are correct. The person who pushes the button (shutter, remote release, pc control) that triggers the shutter to activate, is the one who owns copyright over the photo taken. It is completely independent of who owns the gear. Except for Weddings, in Australia, the Bridge and Groom own copyright over any photos taken at at wedding.

Analog6
31-01-2009, 8:41am
But it is nice to have the symbol and your name on prints/digital images you sell or otherwise licence for use (eg send to a newspaper).

Kym
31-01-2009, 11:10am
The Bern convention (to which Australia is a signatory) covers it:
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

You the photographer have © by default subject to conditions such as employment (ie. if I'm paid to take photos them my employer is likely to own © - then it gets down to employment contracts; unless I'm a contract photog where I still own © unless the specific contract says other. Weddings have a special legal status in Australia as well)

dbax
31-01-2009, 5:01pm
dbax the easy way is Alt+0169 on numeric pad.
kiwi & Bunyip thanks for your help.

yep I knew that :D just couldn't remember on the spot. Cheers:th3:

kiwi
31-01-2009, 5:26pm
But it is nice to have the symbol and your name on prints/digital images you sell or otherwise licence for use (eg send to a newspaper).

Not really, that's what IPTC is for.

Copyright symbols etc are really only useful as a deterrent for people not to rip your photos off the web or when you print proof sheets, examples etc