PDA

View Full Version : Converting to CMYK

Bunyip
30-01-2009, 4:43am
Please help me find a way to convert an RGB file into a CMYK file.

I am designing a business card at ClickBusinessCards (http://clickbusinesscards.com/), which requires that my image be in CMYK rather than RGB. Since I use Photoshop Elements, I don't have the ability to edit in CMYK.

Do you know how I might perform the conversion?

jev
30-01-2009, 8:21am
If I remember correctly, DryCreek photo has a free profile converter available that supports CMYK profiles as target. You will need to work in TIFF, but that should not be a problem for a printer that requires CMYK deliveries (strange, but hey if that's what they want. Can't find it on their website though - and if they do require CMYK, they should provide a color profile too).

Download the converter here (http://www.drycreekphoto.com/tools/profile_converter/).

Bunyip
30-01-2009, 8:27am
On a related note, I understand that ClickBusinessCards will also accept a PDF file containing the full card design, including my image. Would the CMYK/RGB distinction still be relevant to a PDF file, do you think? I can't find anything specifically addressing that question on the ClickBusinessCards site.

jev
30-01-2009, 9:01am
Yes, a PDF can be different too for CMYK and RGB. PDF publishing is a discipline in itself - if you have problems generating CMYK and do not have the appropriate software for Certified PDF generation you're better of using either TIFF or JPEG.

I see they are printing using a Heidelberg printing press - they should be able to provide the color profiles for this beast. As soon as you have these, it's really easy to convert to CMYK using the tool I just mentioned.

However... you need to be able to check the conversion. In color managed CMYK, you will find that even simple RGB colors clip very, very fast. The print gamut is so different that you'll run out of it before you know it...

DanNG
02-02-2009, 11:48pm
id simply have someone convert it to CMYK for you in photoshop, no colour management or profiles embedded.

Default CMYK conversion in photoshop is to SWOP Web or Sheetfed - which will print fine for your application....

Most RIPS are set up by default to take in untagged files and profile them correctly for CMYK output with zip3/4 adjustments etc.

keep it simple :)

Bunyip
03-02-2009, 9:02am
Help me out a little DanNG: SWOP Web? Sheetfed? RIPS? zip3/4 adjustments? :confused013

Sounds like I oughta get a grip on those terms.

jev
03-02-2009, 6:25pm
Nah, forget about those details.

Basically, what Dan is saying: get someone else to do the conversion for you in Photoshop since there is a defacto standard profile for printing available for this type of job that usually works quite well. Thus the "keep it simple".

I still think it's strange the printer does not accept RGB images - it's plain stupidity that they require all their customers to even be aware of CMYK and printing technology. Did you contact them and ask if CMYK really is necessary?

DanNG
03-02-2009, 10:58pm
Bunyip: Id be more than happy to help prepare the file for offset printing for you...
if your interested send me a PM and I'll give you my work email address.

Bunyip
04-02-2009, 8:09am
Thanks DanNG. When I've got the image together I might just take you up on that offer.