PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lightroom freezing.

Lani
29-01-2009, 7:15pm
I bought a copy of Lightroom 2.0 last week and downloaded the 2.2 update. seemed to be running ok but last night when I had Bridge and CS3 open, everything went to the pack, and LR just froze... restarted puter and tried reopening.... same thing. So uninstalled, reinstalled and 2.0 opened ok, reinstalled update and the same thing, just froze on opening.
Is this a memory problem?... or incompatibility with CS3

I have 2 gig of ram and a 2 gig 64 bit processor, running XP SP2, 256 graphics card.
Did a defrag and that seems to have fixed bridge, although ti is a bit slow.
I would appreciate any thoughts on what the problem might be. Did a search and most of the issues I came across were more related to bulk export/imports... i don't even get that far. :confused013

ricktas
29-01-2009, 7:42pm
i use 4gb ram and a 512mb graphics card. When this happens what is your CPU doing? Ctrl+Alt+Del, and look at performance tab

Lani
29-01-2009, 7:56pm
Couldn't do that as whole system froze. :(

ricktas
29-01-2009, 8:07pm
Sounds like a memory issue. But could be a number of things.When it happens does your hard-drive run flat out? Might be using the swap file if it does, and that could mean memory is the issue.

Sventek
29-01-2009, 8:10pm
i use 4gb ram and a 512mb graphics card. When this happens what is your CPU doing? Ctrl+Alt+Del, and look at performance tab

Ctrl-Shift-Esc is the fast way to that window.

TOM
29-01-2009, 10:12pm
i found lightroom 2 unusable on 2gb of ram. i am not suggesting that this is your current problem though.

trigger
29-01-2009, 10:23pm
I find that LR2 crashes when using the local and grad adjustments.
takes up about 2-3 GB of ram to use it.

How ever i restart and the last adjustments are still there so no biggy.

clm738
29-01-2009, 10:45pm
You really need at least 4g ram to run LR & CS3. With only 2g ram you can only open one at a time and do some work slowly. Say if your in Bridge then open in CS3 you can work at medium pace, but if you start to do things too efficiently, Bridge will shut down. If you open all three they will all have to shut down. I know the specs say you only need 1g ram for Photoshop and 1g ram for Lightroom but in the real world you need AT LEAST double, and then some, any recommendations Adobe suggests. I have learnt this the hard way by having my PC back to the technician that many times its not funny untill we worked out the problem. Same goes with the graphics card.

Lani
30-01-2009, 6:05am
Thought that may have been the problem, but it won't even open on it's own with 2.2, 2.0 will, but it looks like three screens are trying to open at once when I try to run the updated version?
The only thing that has changed was I updated my firewall program, not sure if that could have had anything to do with it.
Where do I find the previous work stored, as even when I uninstall it, all the previous imported images are there? and I can't seem to find a file where this would be, so I can start afresh.
Might give adobe a call later, see if they can shed any light. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your responses guys and gals.

*EDIT* Problem seems to be solved with disabling the firewall. Probably need to get some more RAM anyway though.