PDA

View Full Version : NiMH batteries for speedlights

Bunyip
21-01-2009, 6:57am
Which NiMH batteries do you use in your speedlights?

I've heard that the Sanyo eneloop batteries drain more slowly, but they only have 2000 mAh.

jev
21-01-2009, 7:40am
I've got a couple of different brands and types. The Eneloops seem to keep up with the 2700 mAh Varta batteries I've got. I also have a couple of GP 2300 mAh that are fine - just a little less than the Varta's. Last but not least I've got a series of noname 2500 mAh batteries that don't load very well - they last not even half of the Eneloops.

Aw, using a 550EX and a Metz 35 CT-3 (though I expect flash brands don't matter when comparing battery types with one another).

I @ M
21-01-2009, 8:03am
We have 2 sets of Lenmar R2G ( ready to go - pre charged on the shop shelf )

Performance in an SB-800 and SB-26 has been very impressive with 2150 mAh .
Sold in blister pack but contained in a handy tightly closeable plastic case that fits into the bag and cost around $23.00. ( probably dearer than what you can buy for in the cities - thats the joys of living out of town :sport18: )

TEITZY
21-01-2009, 8:33am
I use the Energizer 2500mah rechargeables and they are pretty good in the SB80/600. I buy the 4 pack and always keep them together and never mix them with other batteries (even the same brand).

Cheers
Leigh

MarkChap
21-01-2009, 9:40am
I have 3 sets of 4 (12 Batteries) of the 2500 mAh Varta Power Accu NiMh batteries and 1 set of 4 Uniross 2500.

When shooting speedway, so low light and big expectation from the flash, I will easily get 600 shots from the Varta batteries.
On my recent mountain trip I loaded the flash on day 1 with the Varta batteries and they were still going strong 400 shots later - Dark rainforest shooting 1/250 f8 so i again was asking a fair bit from the flash and batteries.

I changed to the uniross batteries on near to my last day simply because I was going hunting a bird (green catbird if you must know) and didn't want to have to change batteries ifthe current set went flat. Well what a waste of time the uniross batteries did not even make 200 shots with the same settings.

All batteries were freshly charged on the day before we departed for the trip, so the uniross bateries had only sat for about 7 days. Needless to say these have now been removed from the camera bag

What is the self discharge rate like for the Varta ?? No idea. I generally run all 12 through the charger the night before a trip just to be sure.

What am I saying ??
The Varta 2700 mAh Power Accu batteries are the best rechargeable battery I have ever used and would recomend them highly.
They run at about $19.95 for a 4 pack from your major super markets.

BLWNHR
21-01-2009, 10:14am
I've got 2 sets of Inca 2500mAh's that I've had for 2 years and they are still holding charge and working well.

The best set I have are Panasonic 2500mAh's I only have 4 of these, and can't seem to find them again, but they are unstoppable! I've left them fully charged for a month or more, grabbed the flash and still rattled of 100+ flash photos with no slow down in recycle times.

I've got Sony 2700mAh's in my D300 grip and on the weekend took 3000 photos over 2 days with heaps of reviewing and the battery meter still hasn't dropped to half yet!

I've not used the Sony's in a flash yet, but given their performance in the camera I would say they are going to be great. They retail for about $40-45 for 4.

N*A*M
21-01-2009, 10:19am
i've got 3 sets of dicksmithelectronics that i think are around 2100mAh. thinking of getting the powerex or eneloops although the DSE ones haven't been too bad.

sixfootfour
21-01-2009, 10:53am
This site has some interesting stuff about rechargeable batts

http://www.users.on.net/~mhains/Reviews.html

i use the eneloops

jev
21-01-2009, 8:09pm
This site has some interesting stuff about rechargeable batts
That sure makes an interesting read, but this guy seems to test for durability - a long steady period of draining them. A speedlite asks short bursts of high current, not a steady prolongued one. Thus: YMMV.

swifty
21-01-2009, 10:39pm
I use Eneloops myself and have never had any problems with them. They usually outlast me when I'm shooting so don't really know how many shots I get from a full charge. I usually rattle off about 300+ shots or so without noticing any drop in performance.
But the best thing about them is that whether fully charge or partially drained, they always seem to have some juice left in them after long periods without use. I guess that's how they are marketed.
So for someone who does not use it regularly and frequently, Eneloops are definitely highly recommended.

Kym
21-01-2009, 10:49pm
Eneloops or Powerex imedions. Charge and they will have 80% charge if left on the shelf for 12 months. Regular cells lose their charge in a month.

I used them in my old K100D Super, and use them for all my AA needs (eg. flash, P&S etc.).

Also get a Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Battery Charger & Analyzer !! Best value for your cells. Never need another charger and can resurrect dead cells!

http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc9000-wizardone-battery-charger-analyzer-p-52.html
http://servaas.com.au/powerex-imedion-2100mah-aa-rechargeable-batteries-p-72.html

Bunyip
22-01-2009, 9:00am
I've ordered a bunch of Maha Powerex 2700 mAh Rechargeable AA NiMH batteries (http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-2700mah-nimh-aa-rechargeable-batteries-p-41.html) and a Maha Powerex MH-C801D 8 cell AA battery charger (http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc801d-cell-aa-battery-charger-p-30.html) from Servaas (http://servaas.com.au/). I did consider the Imedion batteries, but I'm fastidious enough about recharging that I'm unlikely to accidentally take a self-discharged battery to a shoot.

The Wolf-Eyes AA Rechargeable Battery Test Part 3 Retained Capacity Comparison (http://wolfeyes.com.au/news/?p=9) showed that the Powerex 2700 mAh batteries performed very well, even after three weeks without a charge.

arthurking83
22-01-2009, 6:31pm
All I'm going to add is that if you want all day staying power with batteries in any high power device, use AA lithiums.

I tested them on my handheld GPS(a few times now) and the (Powertech/JayCar)2700mAH NiMH batteries I have only lasted 12 hours of constant use, where the Lithiums lasted over 36 hours..... they actually drove me insane waiting for them to finally drain! :p

Handheld GPS's are generally very heavy power hungry devices, and my Magellan switches off even with only 1/2 - 1/3 of the power remaining in the batteries.
Cheapo so called 'heavy duty' batteries only last a few hours of constant use, and the cheaper $2 per hundred packs you get at the reject shop barely last an hour! :rolleyes:
....that is if they haven't leaked already.

Lithiums seem to be half the weight, and if you use the 5 battery set up in an SB800 it makes the world of difference.

I only use NiMH's as I'm not a heavy flash user, so you have to balance out costs vs usage requirements I suppose.

I always have spare set of 5 NiMH's charged up too, just in case.

I realise I've gone way OT, but for anyone else that may be interested, this is simply an FYI.

smorter
22-01-2009, 10:27pm
I use flash heavily for Weddings and Indoor Events

For my Speedlites I use Maha Powerex, these are about as powerful as you are going to get for NiMH

For my Battery Packs I use Maha Imedions (since I don't go through it all in one event and I don't want to keep on recharging)

Maha are the industry leaders in the consumer market, you won't get much better than them. Their chargers are industry standard basically.

Eneloops used to be good, but made obsolete by the Maha Imedions

ehor
23-01-2009, 12:48pm
I've got 3 sets of eneloops and they've been great thus far.

B D H
29-01-2009, 5:19pm
For those that are interested

This Guy : http://www.jpt-australia.com/maha/imedion.htm has the MH-C9000 WizardOne for $77.00 & Imedions for $18 per pack of 4
I just bought the charger & 8 Batteries for $110.00
He's in Caringbah, Sydney and he will sell over the counter if you're local

geko104
29-01-2009, 5:36pm
A good charger is just as important than the battery. A good charger will "cycle" a battery to get the most life from it.

Kym
30-01-2009, 2:20pm
A good charger is just as important than the battery. A good charger will "cycle" a battery to get the most life from it.

Yes! I'll amplify this!

The cheap fast chargers that you get thrown into deals by camera stores will reduce you cell (battery) life by up to 80%! These fast chargers usually over charge. They usually supply pretty crappy cells anyway.

If you get offered batteries and charger in a deal ... switch the deal for a memory card or other more useful item and buy a good set of cells and charger!

Investing a a good charger is worth it! Lets face it - reliability is important.
Powerex are the leaders! (and no - I don't get any kick back).

Bunyip
02-02-2009, 3:03pm
For those that are interested

This Guy : http://www.jpt-australia.com/maha/imedion.htm has the MH-C9000 WizardOne for $77.00 & Imedions for $18 per pack of 4
I just bought the charger & 8 Batteries for $110.00
He's in Caringbah, Sydney and he will sell over the counter if you're local

Thanks for the tip. I just slipped down to Caringbah, and picked up 8 batteries for a very reasonable price.