PDA

View Full Version : Canon ringflash

B D H
17-01-2009, 4:51pm
I'm currently going thru all the twists & turns of Sigma EM 140 v Canon MR 14EX ring flash
The sigma comes with 55 & 58mm adapters which I'm thinking will fit my Tammy 90mm macro
in the canon specs, it doesn't give sizes only what "canon" macro lenses it will fit
Does anybody know if the canon ringflash will fit a Tamron 90mm macro lens or are additional adapter/s required

Thanks
Bryan

ricktas
17-01-2009, 5:23pm
How does it attach Bryan, does it just screw into the filter thread on the front of the lens? If so you just need to get the ring adaptors for whatever filter threads your lenses have. The tamron 90mm has a 55mm filter thread.

B D H
17-01-2009, 6:14pm
How does it attach Bryan, does it just screw into the filter thread on the front of the lens? .

Thats what I'm not sure about Rick, It's either an internal spring loaded clamp and/or an adapter which screws to the lens , but I could be wrong on all counts

,no shops so far have either make in stock to have a look at

Bryan

B D H
23-01-2009, 7:17pm
OK, I bought a canon MR-14ex, an excellent unit it is too

for those that are interested in attaching one of these to a Tammy 90 mm macro
it's not easy, you have to either buy an adapter that fits a 180 mm canon macro ( 72mm to 58mm,about $100.00) as well as a step down ring to 55mm ($30) which ends up being big & cumbersome & expensive to boot

OR you can do what I did : buy a 58mm to 55mm step down ring & Machine or sand it down to a thickness of 2mm creating a lip for the ring flash to grip onto once it's fitted first onto a uv filter with or without glass

Bryan

ehor
27-01-2009, 2:18pm
Wonder how these ring flashes compare to say a RayFlash or the Orbis.