PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize files?

mwphoto
14-01-2009, 12:50pm
I take too many photos, and I am not the most organized person, which makes finding specific photos sometimes difficult.

I have a Master Copy Folder, with folders for each year, and in those sub-folders for each month, then each card download is labeled by date and (usually one word description eg dogs, kids, xmas).

But I take so many photos I really need to adopt something easier...as it is everything from kids, my pets, wildlife, landscape, holidays, christmas, event photography and private shoots are organized the same way.

I need to separate anything that might be business related away from personal/family, although sometimes the two overlap (family holiday landscape photography).

I would love to hear how other people organize their personal/business photography files (without copying full size photos to different folders - I now have 1.4tera hardrive but don't want to use it up too quick)?

Ta!

ricktas
14-01-2009, 1:27pm
I use Lightroom to import my photos so I can tag the metadata as well. But my process is

Folder for YEAR, subfolder for MONTH, folder for topic, I can then easily archive months and years to external drives ( I use 3 backup drives- two on site, one off site). Only current year photos remain on my second internal drive.

So Currently I have:

2009 / January / Cygnet Folk Festival
2009 / January / Buckland Tasmania
2009 / January / xxx & xxx Portraits Engagement

MarkChap
14-01-2009, 1:39pm
I currently use a basic systen

USing CS3 - Bridge - I download (raw) by shot date to a folder called "My Photos",delete the crap and add keywords.

Keepers are then sent to folder by genre / category / subjct.

D:/My Photos/keep/birds - which will very soon have sub folders for different groups of birds - "Birds Of Prey" "Water Birds" etc etc
D:/My Photos/keep/people <- which then has some subfolders "family" "friends"
D:/My Photos/keep/action <- which also then contains sub folders "outrigging" "speedway" <- which then has subfolders for the class of car
You get the idea.

I can open Bridge and search by keyword to find a particular photo be it a particular bird or birds from a particular location or a person etc etc

The key to ANY and ALL systems is discipline - you MUST (I must) add the keywords at the time of download otherwise I will miss a photo when doing the keyword search.

dbax
14-01-2009, 2:03pm
HeHe Michelle I got em everywhere, can never find what I want when I want it, I've tried numerous times to organise and have a number of different systems but none of them tie together.
Find a workflow that suits you early, and stick to it, otherwise you'll finish up like me....... not recommended!

ricktas
14-01-2009, 2:34pm
My suggestion to those that have a disorganised system (which I used to), is start afresh, but do NOT try and catalogue your old stuff. I created an entirely separate section for my old stuff, called the directory "Pre Catalog" and moved all my existing photos into it.

Then I started my new cataloging, and only new photos went into it. Now 4 years on, I have a good system that works for me, and I didn't have to stress about the HUGE job of sorting all the old stuff out.

If you try and catalogue 15,000 existing photos you will give up, so don't bother starting, just start from now, with future photos and catalogue those.

Kirst
14-01-2009, 2:47pm
I did as Rick did. Started fresh I mean. And slowly I am getting around to my older photos but I don't feel stressed about it at all. I know that my photos now are sorted and that's the main thing. I also pick a photo for the folder cover that best depicts what photos are in it. I like the idea of more specific naming though in addition to dating everything.

IanB
14-01-2009, 3:23pm
Firstly; delete; delete; delete. Will find time later to add more..:)

Cheers

MrJorge
14-01-2009, 3:31pm
I detailed my structure just yesterday here ---> http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23439&highlight=structure

When it comes to "finding photos" though I rarely look through the directory structure. I use Lightroom and let it find them for me. Can't remember the last time I went digging for an actual RAW file. Normally if I want it it's to edit/re-edit/have a look at it and I use Lightroom for all those things.

So while I recommend a structure that is easy to backup etc when it comes to using the files I use Lightroom to keep track of where they are physically and process them with it instead of hunting for them.

ving
14-01-2009, 3:33pm
dewey decimal classification... i am a librarian

MrJorge
14-01-2009, 3:40pm
i am a librarian

That explains a lot! :p :D

Jordan Compte
14-01-2009, 4:07pm
what I'm doing is just have a folder on my desktop, make a sub folder for every day I shoot, the shots I choose to upload I'll edit them and then drag both that and the orignal into the sub folder as well as other shots I choose! it's a bit annoying but it works fine, I'm going to purchase an external hard drive soon for tafe etc.

Calxoddity
14-01-2009, 4:08pm
You didn't say whether you're a Mac or PC user. If you're Mac, Aperture is great for organising. In the past 3 months I've taken my ad-hoc structure and have so far keyworded, rated and organised 95% my photos back to 2003.

Similar to Rick's structure I have folders for Year, with individual projects within each year. For anything that's just been imported or hasn't been organised yet, it lives in my Work In Progress folder until keywording and rating has been completed. Then, I move it to it's destination folder/project.

Importantly, if you're going to use keywords, set your taxonomy up properly before you start - arbitrary keywording on the fly could end up in tears a few months down the track... (this applies to any keywording approach, not only Aperture)

Regards,
Calx (who is a process designer)

ving
14-01-2009, 4:11pm
That explains a lot! :p :Dand that is supposed to mean what exactly? ;)

Lani
14-01-2009, 4:55pm
My suggestion to those that have a disorganised system (which I used to), is start afresh, but do NOT try and catalogue your old stuff. I created an entirely separate section for my old stuff, called the directory "Pre Catalog" and moved all my existing photos into it.

Then I started my new cataloging, and only new photos went into it. Now 4 years on, I have a good system that works for me, and I didn't have to stress about the HUGE job of sorting all the old stuff out.

If you try and catalogue 15,000 existing photos you will give up, so don't bother starting, just start from now, with future photos and catalogue those.

Brilliant idea, Rick... that's what has been putting me off starting, sorting out my current disorganized muddle. ( well I spose a muddle by definition is disorganized. :D ) They say the best ideas are the simplest! :th3: :th3: :th3:

41jas
15-01-2009, 9:34am
Looks like I have some organizing to do. I like the idea if sub folders. Never thought of that. I'm getting started on it today. Thanks, was wondering what I was going to do today.:D

ricktas
15-01-2009, 10:20am
I reckon using some DAM software (thats DAM not DAMN) - ie Digital Asset Management software is a given. Aperuture/ Lightroom/Bridge are all designed for this. When you import your photos as well has having a good directory structure, also tag them with relevant tags

ie,

Flowers, botanical gardens, Lillies
Sunset, tasmania, derwent river, water, sea, rocks, slow shutter

How much tagging you do is up to you, but the more accurate, the easier it is to search. Nothing better than putting into your DAM software a search for tulip, red, bee..and it finding your red tulip photo with the bee on it for you, rather than hunt through several folders that it might be in

Steadyhands
15-01-2009, 10:29am
I've lucky that I started very early and have used the same Image Management Database for the last 4 years. Everything is in the Catalog.

Import
I use a dedicated card reader to transfer the pictures from the CF card to the PC. As soon as I plug in the card reader Breese Systems Downloader Pro starts up. Downloader Pro can be setup to run automatically when a memory card is placed in a card reader on Windows XP systems.

In Downloader Pro I have the download directory set to:-

........\My Pictures\{Y}\{Y}_{m}\{Y}_{m}_{D}

and the file name set to:-

{T3}_{f}_{r6}

These are called tokens and Downloader Pro has many to suit all types of situations.

This then gives me
----2009_01
---------2009_01_04
---------------------40D_IMG_19875.cr2

Notice the 40D in the file name. This is from the {T3} token in Downloader Pro and helps to keep these separate from the 40D or the wifes G9 Digital Camera shots. The token system in Downloader Pro allows you to rename the files almost any way you want, as you download them. All of the DSLR and Digicam shots are in the same directories but have different file names. Also of great use is the {r6} that adds an extra value to the image sequence number field in the file name. This additional value now makes these 5 digit numbers so therefor retains sequential numbering even once past shot 9999.

I store the images in folders by date and use IMatch to do the rest. That is I rarely use Explorer to view, copy etc the file. Once the files are on the computer most work is done in IMatch.

Sort and Delete
I use EXIFPro as a light table to quickly delete any real bad shots before running IMatch. EXIFPro is a very fast image viewer that views RAW files. It supports IPTC and the same rating systems (stars and colours) as both Imatch and Lightroom. Any good shot I'll tag with CTRL+3 to give it 3 stars. This stars appear on the thumbnails in Imatch. It also has a tag feature that places the tags into IPTC Keywords.

Import to Image Database
Now the files are on the PC I start IMatch. I then go to the Root directory (usually the month ie 2007_05) above the newly created directory, ie 2007_05_27 and Right Click. I then select One Click Rescan. This tells IMatch to rescan the directory structure and add any new Images. The new directory will now appear in IMatch, and some of the EXIF metadata has been added to the IMatch Property Database. Once it is there I run a custom script I created/modified that scans each new image and then adds information about to the Database. It adds the following categories to the images:-

Camera Index
Canon - Canon EOS 40D DIGITAL
EXIF Focal Length
24-105 mm
Version
Original

This script intelligently adds these categories, ie it looks into the EXIF data stored within the image and then takes the Camera Make/Model and adds that to the Database and then also looks to see what Lens was used and adds that information also. If the Category does not exist the script will create it. The 40D shots and G9 Digital Camera shots are treated in the same way. Not only can I tell the difference from the file names but IMatch categories also.

I then use IMatch to add additional Category information to each image such as the Location where it was shot, the subject matter, key people in the image, the plant or animal in the shot etc etc etc. If I want the kids photo's I just browse that category, I've even added rating to the better images so I can select an other Category called Best - <childs name> that uses IMatch Category Formulas to only show the better images based on XML rating data.

I've set up categories for my kids and then dragged / dropped the dynamically sorted images in these categories to my CD burning software when I wanted to send these to family. BTW, the images were all in different folders on the PC to start with. Just few minutes is spent after each download to categorise the new shots. It's very quick and easy to build searches for images ie category (CAT and DOG) not FARM to find all images with a cat and a dog in them but not at a farm.

I have also added Categories for the type of flash and which Kenko Tubes I have used on each shot. I can quickly find photos that match the following:-

40D+180L+36 Kenko Tube+MT-24 Twin lite

I have categories set up to indicate which shots are edits and the edits are saved in the same folder as the originals. I can filter on the edits and only show these. I also have specific categories for things like Black & White, Colour Tone etc.

Full IPTC support as well as XML and EXIF. There's heaps of different web gallery creation scripts and you can customise these as much or as little as you want. Most people find the interface a little hard to get hold of at first but usually master it. Supposedly a future version this year is going to revamp the interface.

The scripting side of things makes it even more of a winner in my book. Very VBA like and quite useful if you are into this sort of thing. For example I wrote a simple script that copies the images EXIF to the clipboard. I second line of clipboard data is the http path for the shot when it's on my web gallery. All I do is select the image and press a button and I can just paste this into here.

From here it is onto the image editing software. I use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom, why both? Each has it's own strengths, I don't use LR for it's DB side but for it's quick processing of multiply images.

PS. I am not affiliated in any way with any of these Software Manufacturers.

Web Links
DownloaderPro
http://www.breezesys.com/
ExifPro Image Viewer
http://www.exifpro.com/
IMatch Image Management
http://www.photools.com/

MrJorge
15-01-2009, 10:50am
and that is supposed to mean what exactly? ;)

Nothing, nothing at all. ;)

ving
15-01-2009, 11:16am
suuuure!
us poor librarians are always coping it :p
lol

ricktas
15-01-2009, 11:58am
suuuure!
us poor librarians are always coping it :p
lol

And so you should be. All our problems in life can be traced back to a nasty librarian in grade 2. Vicious nasty people, the lot of ya :D :D :D :D

MrJorge
15-01-2009, 12:20pm
And so you should be. All our problems in life can be traced back to a nasty librarian in grade 2. Vicious nasty people, the lot of ya :D :D :D :D

Yeah getting us all grounded by our parents for not returning our Possum Magic copy!! I mean give a kid a break now and then will ya!! :p

mwphoto
15-01-2009, 3:00pm
OK thanks everyone. I definitely need a KISS solution:) Will look into lightroom as well (although I hate learning to use new software...I use CS3 maybe I can just add keywords in there, must have a look).

Being only 15 days into the new year, I will start now, and backtrack last years when I have time (prior to that was non-dslr, so not so much a business priority to sort them out.)

JRL Snaps
18-01-2009, 8:54pm
I have been thinking about re-organising my system also at some stage. I'm not 'unhappy' with the system I have now but thought I might try something different.

So, in case someone can get some use out of it, this is my system which is saved on my external hard drive:

Year
- Month
- - 01012009 New Years Day (for eg)
- - 12012009 Corolla Shoot
These would contain all the pics downloaded straight off my camera during that day saved in different subject folders.
Then each of the 'subject' folders would contain folders as follows:
- - - LR Edits (containing only edits I've done - exported from LR)
- - - LR Edits Resized (as I use my pics on forums a lot so I always resize any edits I do)
- - - LR Edits Resized and Framed (just my way of saying its watermarked)

Might all seem a little confusing and messy but it has been working for me, but there could be an easier way, I'm on the look out for something that suits me.

Oh good, so I don't have to go through all the old stuff... Its okay to leave them as they are!!

NatalieM
18-01-2009, 9:36pm
I've started using Lightroom 2.2

I basically have this system:

Import and put into date folder
All unedited photos are coded 'yellow'
All completed photos are red
Ones that are good enough to upload are flagged
Keywords applied to everything

bigdazzler
19-01-2009, 7:19am
Ive just switched to mac and have started using Aperture in referenced mode ( meaning files stay where they are in the mac PICTURES directory and Aperture just basically points to them , I dont import them into Aperture database to avoid duplicating files and therefore saving disk space ..

Still very much new to it but I seem to be making progress,

In Aperture my system is this..

Import RAWs straight from camera into Aperture, structure is;

eg. Library > 2009 > Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 (Project)
> Sydney night shoot 16-01-09 (Project)

Then export adjusted versions to subfolders in the mac PICTURES home folder. Sub folders are;
> 2009 Images
> 2009 Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 ( contains RAWs from camera )
- Edits ( sub folder including all adjusted,cropped,converted versions )
> 2009 Sydney Night shoot 16-01-09

Im trying to get into the habit of adding keywords and ratings to everything

Long way to go till its totally streamlined but its a start .. :D

natalie
28-06-2010, 8:54pm
I just found this thread and found it most useful.
I unintentionally deleted a stack of 'practise' shots i took (before I'd even had a chance to look at them) due to my poor organisation system. So I'm off to sort myself out some new folders and sub folders. Thanks! Then I'll find the time for more practise shots!
Oh, I'm writing this in case other new people find it useful. is that ok? Are you allowed to 'bump' threads back into daylight???

Xenedis
28-06-2010, 9:00pm
I would love to hear how other people organize their personal/business photography files

I've explained my approach (with an accompanying screen capture) here:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showpost.php?p=588542&postcount=3

HTH.

elGrando
28-06-2010, 9:13pm
Thanks mwphoto for the great thread and to everyone for ideas. I didnt realise I had a problem until I read everyone elses responce and figured out my system sucks. Even though mine is seperated into years etc somehow I have photos of one of the kids born in 2005 in the 2003 folder. I know im not good at birthdays but didnt realise I was that off. After ricks ideas im not even bothering to sort them, Ill start again.
CHEERS

phild
28-06-2010, 10:37pm
I have one folder "images" under that I have subfolders, when I transfer the images from the camera I simply rename the flash card folder to year-month-day fromat e.g. 2010-6-10, I then create a subfolder called RAW and seperate the raw images.
That way I have all my images in chronological order and shooting session and I can usually find anything reasonably quickly by thinking of the rough date that I took the image.

It's not the best way but it works for me.

dbax
28-06-2010, 10:49pm
well its been a while since this first post, I know have mine in year and month, not perfect by any means but I can now find recent things easily, find a system and get into the habit, simple.....I wish I'd learnt it years ago:D

bigdazzler
29-06-2010, 6:38am
Ive just switched to mac and have started using Aperture in referenced mode ( meaning files stay where they are in the mac PICTURES directory and Aperture just basically points to them , I dont import them into Aperture database to avoid duplicating files and therefore saving disk space ..

Still very much new to it but I seem to be making progress,

In Aperture my system is this..

Import RAWs straight from camera into Aperture, structure is;

eg. Library > 2009 > Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 (Project)
> Sydney night shoot 16-01-09 (Project)

Then export adjusted versions to subfolders in the mac PICTURES home folder. Sub folders are;
> 2009 Images
> 2009 Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 ( contains RAWs from camera )
> 2009 Sydney Night shoot 16-01-09

Im trying to get into the habit of adding keywords and ratings to everything

Long way to go till its totally streamlined but its a start .. :D

wow .. this was a long time ago. My workflow has changed a lot since then. I switched from Aperture to Lightroom. This is how I do things now.

1. Import RAWs from card to a folder called "My Lightroom Images" and duplicates are sent to an External HD for backup. Each shoot, or set of images go into a subfolder within the LR folder. ie. studio_shoot_30-01-2010. I then use the pick ("P" key) and the reject ("X" key) to cull the RAWs. I then delete the rejects from the hard drive.
2. Any edits, (my external editor is PS and set up within LR)) from within the RAW files in LR open automatically as a TIFF file.
3. Complete editing the TIFF, then "Save As" to hi res JPG, and a second WEB copy. TIFF is then saved.
4. I then create a set in LR, called studio_shoot edits_30-01-10 and drag the hi res and web JPGs into the set.
5. Hi Res JPGs are colour tagged GREEN, and low res web copies are colour tagged BLUE.

I then have a folder on my Desktop called "Lightroom Exports", containing two subfolders, "Hi Res Exports" and "Web Exports"

I also have a few different export presets set up in LR for exporting the JPGs. ie. Export hi res for print, Export lo res for web, Export lo res to email etc etc ...

I love Lightroom :)

41jas
29-06-2010, 7:21am

That's what I was thinking Rick.
I do have sub-folders eg. People...then each name of persons in subs. I find that works and the same with other topics.
I do have heaps of photos I haven't even gone through yet....that puts you behind big time. It's hard keeping up when you take so many photos...lol

annainoz
29-06-2010, 10:01am
I asked about a filing system elsewhere and was told to do it in PSE so started doing that but then hubby said just use Windows .. so tagged the photos that way. At least then if hubby is looking for particular photos he can search using a tag word and will find them on the server .. where as if it's just in PSE or Lightroom, you have to have that particular program right or wrong ?

bigdazzler
29-06-2010, 11:35am
I asked about a filing system elsewhere and was told to do it in PSE so started doing that but then hubby said just use Windows .. so tagged the photos that way. At least then if hubby is looking for particular photos he can search using a tag word and will find them on the server .. where as if it's just in PSE or Lightroom, you have to have that particular program right or wrong ?

I only ever access my pictures through Lightroom so thats not an issue for me. If I do want to find the location of the file on the HD, you can right click the image in LR and click "Show In Finder", it will then pop up in a finder dialog box (on a mac of course) and points to the file.

SRR33
29-06-2010, 12:11pm
I use Lightroom to import my photos so I can tag the metadata as well. But my process is

Folder for YEAR, subfolder for MONTH, folder for topic, I can then easily archive months and years to external drives ( I use 3 backup drives- two on site, one off site). Only current year photos remain on my second internal drive.

So Currently I have:

2009 / January / Cygnet Folk Festival
2009 / January / Buckland Tasmania
2009 / January / xxx & xxx Portraits Engagement

Exactly what i do :)

So easy to do!!

Xenedis
29-06-2010, 4:50pm
well its been a while since this first post, I know have mine in year and month, not perfect by any means but I can now find recent things easily, find a system and get into the habit, simple.....I wish I'd learnt it years ago:D

For me, filing by month isn't meaningful, as I won't remember when I shot, say Mona Vale, whereas I will remember that it was Mona Vale I shot.

The subject or name of the shoot is generally more important then when I shot it.

bigdazzler
29-06-2010, 5:17pm
For me, filing by month isn't meaningful, as I won't remember when I shot, say Mona Vale, whereas I will remember that it was Mona Vale I shot.

The subject or name of the shoot is generally more important then when I shot it.

me too Johnno ... Lightroom Images > Studio_Shoot_30-10-2010 > files.

Although I do have a custom file name set up which includes year>month>(custom text)>seq file#

Works well for me.

Xebadir
29-06-2010, 5:46pm
My archive revolves around lightroom but is built with contingencies:
Single File for Photos into which LR uploads..and then places in subfolders according to:
->2010
->Month
->Date/Type of Photography
My flow process is flag/unflag for initial...then 1/3/5 rating...then metadata with specific keywords...process as tiff in either LR for speedy or CS5, once done, web jpg if required, placed into archive. Duplicated to spare storage device. Basically if I ever had a lightroom failure I wouldnt be boned with my archive system...yes it would be less efficient, but at least they wouldnt be lost to the world.
Previous years are stored on a desktop drive, and everything is backed up in another state for paranoia deterrance...which arises when you do stupid things like PhDs.

Edit: Forgot to mention I went through all my old archives and ensured they conformed to this structure.

annainoz
30-06-2010, 12:17am
I only ever access my pictures through Lightroom so thats not an issue for me. If I do want to find the location of the file on the HD, you can right click the image in LR and click "Show In Finder", it will then pop up in a finder dialog box (on a mac of course) and points to the file.

We have all the laptops in the house networked as well as the two servers so that's why it's handy to do it the way I have started (and gotten lazy and slacked off tagging) lol.

chrisprendergast
01-07-2010, 1:31pm
I organize by months then subfolders of the events, but for photography assignments I use a few folders : raw, work in progress,final edits, proofs, jpgs, email