PDA

View Full Version : Duck boat

purephotos
13-01-2009, 12:25am
Does anyone have a small boat that they use for photography such as http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/duckboat2.htm? I like the idea, but I don't think I'd do enough photography to make it worth the outlay.

-R

ricktas
13-01-2009, 10:45am
Some of our birders use portably camo hides, or just camo gear, but don't think anyone uses a camo boat that I know of.

reaction
13-01-2009, 2:59pm
very nice. oh the fun some ppl have.

MarkChap
13-01-2009, 3:46pm
So thats why I don't get the good bird shots.

I am NOWHERE near #### enough about my presence / camoflage when in the bush.

I actually, very briefly, had a grey fantail land on my lens whilst I was at the Bunya Mountains, I would have the damn things nesting on my lens if i was that #### about the camoflage

ving
13-01-2009, 5:32pm
buy me one :D

purephotos
13-01-2009, 6:51pm
haha, I'm sure we can all agree camo DEFINITELY serves a purpose when trying to get close to wildlife there. I wish I had one of those boats I'd really like to use it and go out with a telephoto lens. Does anyone know if i would have to be registered like that poor guy if it had a small trolling motor?

-R

MarkChap
13-01-2009, 7:20pm
I am pretty sure that if you have a non planing hull and have less than 6 hp with a max speed less than 6km/hr you don't need to register your boat in Queensland

purephotos
13-01-2009, 10:17pm
Awesome. All I need now is money...... That might be a problem.

-R

Gypsy
21-01-2009, 9:56pm
I've seen floating hides before but not a boat one...

purephotos
22-01-2009, 5:52pm
Really? Could you link one?

-R

Shelley
23-01-2009, 12:32am
I am sure i would tip and destroy my gear, especially if i saw a bird i really wanted to capture. I didn't think you could takes pics from a boat, because of stability. :confused013 but maybe its me not being stable :D

Seesee
23-01-2009, 9:41pm
I am sure i would tip and destroy my gear, especially if i saw a bird i really wanted to capture. I didn't think you could takes pics from a boat, because of stability. :confused013 but maybe its me not being stable :D

My thoughts too, plus manouvering around to me is important, not easy in a confined seating arrangement to aim the camera where you want it, looks like it would take a bit of time to set it all up as well...better to save your money and buy a longer reach lens.

purephotos
24-01-2009, 1:08pm
True, I know a few tricks of the trade when it comes to small boats a I used to be a state level kayaker:) But I can see your point there about maneuverability....perhaps a turret style mount made smaller such as those found on WWI planes?

-R