PDA

View Full Version : understanding exposure.

dantheman
10-01-2009, 11:51pm
I have just got myself a copy of understanding exposure, and it is quite intresting to say the least. However the first chapter has sort of thrown me. I understand the concept of haveing diferent combinations that could give the right exposure, but he goes on about when the cameras meter lets you know that the exposure is correct. does he mean when it is centered or what. if you take a picture of something that is white, and dont alow for the fact that the meter is taking a reading as if 18%grey, you dont get a completely white picture.

Is he asuming you know this or am i missing something. i usualy overexpose slightly or underexpose slightly depending on what i am shooting and what metering i am using. does this mean i am not getting a "corect exposure"? is a correct exposure if the picture looks how the scene did when you took the picture, for example if something is in shadow then it will come out dark in the picture?

Many questions, or incoherent rambelings, but it just didnt quite make scence to me. i posted here because noone had posted in the chapter one part for a while and i wasnt sure.

Please feel free to shed some light

Thank you
Dan

dantheman
10-01-2009, 11:58pm
funny story, i just flicked throught the book a bit and i came across some pages that answered my questions. However please still feel free to anser if you can, you may explain it another way that is easier to understand

Dan

trigger
11-01-2009, 12:14am
Ive never read that book but I have a concept that works for me.

Various colours = various + o r- readings on your SLR viewfinder. i.e. -2..-1..0..+1..+2
Average colours = BlueJeans ...Green grass ....Santa red .. or 50% grey

1. Set to Manual and Metering to spot mode. (i.e. 5% of the center)
2. Find a scene. Meter over a average "colour" that is in the light.
3. Set app/shutter so meter reads 0. Your average colour.
4. Meter around. Over something that is White your meter should read +1 over somethat is black or shadow its -2. Over a light red or yellow and should read +1

I your shooting if Ev or Av mode the same concept applies. If you have "metered" over a white coloured source you must set the meter to +1

once you snap a few shots using this method its easy

clm738
11-01-2009, 12:43am
Trigger, thank you, I will try your +1 meter method. It has made more sence than a lot of stuff I have tried to figger out.
Is understanding Exposure really that great that I have to buy it to get the right exposure to ensure the colors turn out the way I see them
thanks

Jcas
11-01-2009, 7:56am
Dan i would be interested to know where you obtained your copy, i have been told it is out of print and very hard to get now.:)

ricktas
11-01-2009, 8:20am
Dan, our study group is doing this very book (quite slowly), check out the study group forum here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65), and you can read what others have written about each chapter so far and look at their exercise results as well. You are welcome to join in the study group at any time.

ricktas
11-01-2009, 8:21am
Dan i would be interested to know where you obtained your copy, i have been told it is out of print and very hard to get now.:)

When we set up our study group a lot of members ordered it at their local dymocks, or online from Dymocks, etc.

Dan AU
11-01-2009, 1:55pm
I have read the book as well, if you keep reading on it should all of a sudden all come together in the later chapters.