PDA

View Full Version : Why this difference? 5d Vs 400d

DSLR400D
10-01-2009, 10:24am
Hi Guys,

I have started to play with my brand new canon 5d and there are few things (in fact lots of things) that i dont quit understand. For example i took a shot in my house without a tripod this morning. As it is a cloudy day there is not much sunlight, however, its not too dark as well. But i see that there is significant difference in the two snaps, one taken by my 400D and the other by 400D and i just do not understand why is this the case?

Here is my setup:

Set up 1:
Camera: 400D
Mode: Aperture priority (Av)
Av Value: f 2.8
Tripod used: No
Lens used: CANON 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
Flash used: No

Set up 2:
Camera: 5D
Mode: Aperture priority (Av)
Av Value: f 2.8
Tripod used: No
Lens used: CANON 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
Flash used: No

I am posting the results below: The first image (IMG_2715.CR2) is from 400D and the second image (IMG_0106.CR2) is from 5D. Can someone please explain why is the snaps taken from 5d much darker as opposed to 400d? even after having the same setup. Please note the distance at which i took the snap is exactly the same may be 2 to 5 cm + or -

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,
D

arthurking83
10-01-2009, 10:37am
METERING MODE!!

400D says average(I assume is more like spot, or center weighted on a Nikon?), and centered on the vase thing, hence darker and more exposure required....

5D was set to pattern(more like marix metering on Nikon?), and hence had to take into account the brightness of the white wall too.

Even if you set both to pattern, the 5D may be likely to expose darker as it will see more of the white wall(wider field of view) although the difference is going to be much less.

:)

Darvidanoar
10-01-2009, 10:43am
The shutter speeds are different.

1/15 on the 400D
1/50 on the 5D

That would probably account for the 5D image being darker too

CAP
10-01-2009, 11:02am
You really can't compare these results, they are not the "same photo".
even though you have used the same lens in both pics the camera settings are not the same nor is the distance from the suject.
400D set for average metering and fired at 1/15s
5D set for pattern merting and fired at 1/50s
There is a lot more of the white wall in second pic which has affected the exposure, hence the 1/50s compared to the shot taken with the 400D.

Try this exercise again but set both cameras identical and frame the shots as close to identical as you can.
It is possible that the results will differ but I'm guessing by no where near as much as the 2 shots above.

Darvidanoar
10-01-2009, 11:13am
...nor is the distance from the suject.
The distance is the same, the 5D being a full frame sensor gives a wider view.

DSLR400D (who looks like he/she will need to change handles soon :)) probably should reshoot in manual for a better comparison...

CAP
10-01-2009, 11:59am
Then you will need to frame your pics similarly to take that into account.

I took these just now to demonstrate what I meant in earlier post.
All pics taken with 50mm lens @f1.7, camera set to apeture priority
Metering modes
Pic-2 averaged
Pic-3 centre weighted
Pic-4 spot (on collar)
Pic-5 spot (on body)
Camera on tripod and no flash
No processing other than resized for web.

Darvidanoar
10-01-2009, 12:10pm
Hmm .. in Av mode, your metering mode will alter the shutter speed. Ideally we'd like to have the shutter speed constant.

In full manual mode, the metering mode should count for nothing, because you're not using the meter to set the exposure. I feel that would be a better comparison between bodies/sensors.

smorter
10-01-2009, 12:24pm
Basically the short answer is your camera meters for 12-13% grey. Since the second photo had more white wall in it, the camera underexposed it more (because it meters for 12-13% grey), so it was darker.

You need the same scene to get near identical results in AV (some slight variation will exist due to ISO sensitivity differences, lens transmission and scene differences)

But otherwise, use M for near identical results (again some slight variation will exist due to ISO sensitivity differences, lens transmission and scene differences)

DSLR400D
10-01-2009, 12:25pm
Thanks guys. i will now redo the exercise as per your suggestion and this time i will also use tripod to ensure that the distance remains the same. I will post the results in next one hour.

Regards,
D

RaoulIsidro
13-07-2010, 8:43pm
The rich capture of the 5D compared to the 400D is due to pixel size.
I say rich, because being a bit darker doesn't mean lesser quality. You can always lighten it in post processing, compared to highlights which have lesser recovery.
The pixel size of a 5D is 8.2 µm
The pixel size of a 400D is 5.7 µm
Those are very huge differences in sensor technology.
In fact, the 5D has the BIGGEST pixel size ever in the Canon DSLR lineup, and is a class on it's own. Even the 5D Mark2 has only 6.4 µm sized pixels!
The only other Canon camera that have the magic 8.2 µm are the 1D Mark II and 1D mark IIn, but being cropped sensor, not in the same league as the 5D.
The 5D is a true legend.

andylo
14-07-2010, 11:57am
May I ask what is the benefit of having a bigger pixel size?

RaoulIsidro
14-07-2010, 3:51pm
May I ask what is the benefit of having a bigger pixel size?

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter/photon-rain.gif

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter/small.vs.large.pixels-1.jpg

MarkChap
14-07-2010, 4:16pm
Purely and simply due to the larger frame area of the 5D and the differing metering mode

The first one is set for Centre Weighted Average and the centre of the frame is very dark, hence lighter/brighter exposure.

The second is set to Pattern or overall average, there is a lot of white from the wall hence the darker overall exposure.

Spot metering will help reduce the effect greatly