PDA

View Full Version : CR2 to DNG

clm738
09-01-2009, 5:59pm
Hi Guys
Have installed CS3 and downloaded DNG converter from Adobe to convert my 50D camera RAW files on import so I can use Camera Raw in Photoshop.
Trouble is Photoshop dosen't recognise CR2 files.
Have I not done something I should have. Or done something wrong.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks
:confused013

kittycann
09-01-2009, 6:36pm
I though CS3 did recognice CR2 files.... i know CS4 does and I'm thought CS3 did when I used it......it should open with Camera Raw in Photoshop then you can open the image from there......

dont trust that info....going on memory from months ago.......

Kym
09-01-2009, 7:18pm
Did you update and get the latest CR from Adobe?

clm738
09-01-2009, 9:27pm
:) No. But I will do that now.

clm738
09-01-2009, 10:28pm
I have downloaded camera raw 5.2 but still not working.:confused013

Allann
09-01-2009, 10:33pm
Make sure you have downloaded the Caon RAW Codec 1.4 (http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200043703.html) too. The 50D uses an updated CR2 RAW format which is not compatible with the older CR2 version (go figure). I have the 50D and all should work fine after that. You can also check via Windows Live Photo Gallery as this will use the same codec as CS3 once installed.

jev
09-01-2009, 10:43pm
So, you convert CR2 to DNG using the standalone converter and than import the generated DNG in CS3 through ACR, yeah? That should work, actually...

MarkChap
09-01-2009, 11:44pm
Carmen,

I Think you actually need Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 for CS3,
ACR 5 series is for CS4.

Open Photoshop and try using the Update option under "Help"

ricktas
10-01-2009, 7:57am
Carmen,

I Think you actually need Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 for CS3,
ACR 5 series is for CS4.

Open Photoshop and try using the Update option under "Help"

Correct. ACR5 is only for CS4. Get ACR4.6 and you will be working away.

But as Jev says. DNG converter is separate to ACR and the latest version should be able to convert them, you don't need ACR to use the DNG converter.

clm738
10-01-2009, 12:34pm
Big thanks to everyone. I will give it a try.

clm738
10-01-2009, 2:26pm
Hi Guys.
I have downloaded Canon Codec 1.4 and camera raw 4.6 and installed.
Tried to convert CR2 to DNG but couldn't.
Where and how do I do this? As you can see I am very new to all this.
Thanks again

clm738
10-01-2009, 10:39pm
do I have to unzip the camera raw file I instaled?

MarkChap
10-01-2009, 10:50pm
You would not have been able to install it as a zip file ??
You must open the Zip file and then extract the file and install ??

Did you try the Update option in the help menu within photoshop ??

clm738
11-01-2009, 1:13am
Mark
It seems to be installed as it is at the end of the explorer pathway where it should be.
The compressed size is 3592 kb, size 10,686kb, Ratio 67%.
I had to install 9 updates from the menu in Photoshop.
Have re-booted but still not working.

clm738
11-01-2009, 1:14am
Oh Why Oh Why isn't this written down somewhere so as us dummies can understad and follow it. It is very confusing...

MarkChap
11-01-2009, 1:15am
Well thats me then.

I don't use the DNG converter so can't help much more.

Although i do believe that the DNG conveter runs stand alone ??

MarkChap
11-01-2009, 1:33am
From the Adobe website.

How to Use the Adobe DNG Converter
1. Exit the DNG Converter.
2. Open the download file and double-click Adobe DNG Converter and follow the on-screen instructions.
3. The DNG Converter is now available in your Programs(Windows) or Applications(Mac) directory.
4. Launch the Adobe DNG Converter by double-clicking on the icon.
• You can also drag and drop individual images or a folder of images directly onto the Adobe DNG Converter icon. This will automatically launch the converter.
5. Select the folder of images you would like to convert to DNG.
6. Select the location you would like the new DNG files to be saved.
7. Select the name you would like to use for the new DNG files.
• If you select “Document Name,” the existing name of the file will be used with the new DNG extension added.
• You can choose to add serial numbers or letters to the name. An example of the name will appear after “Name Example.”
• Begin numbering: Enter the starting serial number if you would like it to be different than one.
• File Extension: The file extension is automatically set to DNG. You can choose the extension to be either upper or lower case.
8. Preferences are set to “Compressed (lossless)” and “Preserve Raw Image” by default. You can change those preferences by clicking on “Change Preference…” Below is a description of the different settings.
• Image Conversion Method:
o Preserve Raw Image – the image data is stored in the original “mosaic” format, if possible, which maximizes the amount of data preserved. Mosaic image data can be converted to linear data but the reverse is not possible.
o Convert to Linear Image – the image data is stored in an interpolated (“demosaiced”) format. This can be useful if a camera’s particular mosaic pattern is not supported by a DNG reader.
9. Click on “Convert”.
10. A dialog will appear showing the status of the conversion.
Technical Support
If you have any problems with the Adobe DNG Converter, please post them on the Adobe User to User Forum at: http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html
Release Notes
This version of the DNG Converter is now provided with an installation utility. The installation utility is designed to place the DNG Converter application in the Application(Mac) or Programs(Win) directory and install a set of color profiles required for the DNG Converter to function properly. These profiles are copied to a common resource location.
Copyright © 2008 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Adobe and Photoshop are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All trademarks noted herein are the property of their respective owners.

MarkChap
11-01-2009, 1:36am
It would appear that the DNG converter is a stand alone program.
It should be in your programs directory.
I would expect it to be in the Adobe subdirectory

C:/Windows/Program Files/Adobe/

clm738
11-01-2009, 10:46pm
A very BIG THANK YOU to everyone for their help. I finally figured it out after a day of brain strain. You have to download Camera Raw 4.6 and DNG Converter 4.6 not just any old converter. Everything is working just fine now all I have to do is learn how to use Photoshop, Bridge, Camera Raw and the rest.

ricktas
12-01-2009, 7:07am
Carmen, I can highly recommend Scott Kelby's books, he has a series called "Adobe photoshop CSx for digital photographers" (where the x is the number of your version). Great books, easy to read (if somewhat quirky in his style), but really easy to follow his instructions, and the are basically a step-by-step guide.

clm738
12-01-2009, 4:24pm
Hi Rick, I have his PS3 Book and the 7point book and I love his style of writing. Downloaded photos last night and will start on them tonight, Thanks