PDA

View Full Version : A week in Tassie - Motorbikin!

warden
08-01-2009, 11:46pm
In the not to distant future, myself and 23 mates are doing a week in Tasmania for a motorcycle trip, 4 days riding, 1 down day in Hobart.

I have a 350D, 18-55 Kit Lens, 28-105, 90-300 (altho, i think its damaged) and a 50 1.8.

I'm thinking of taking the body, the 28-105 and just the 50mm. I want to get along roadway shots of the bikes passing and abit of around Hobart/See the sites stuff.

I might take the 18-55 for something wider.

I guess my question is, what tips for beside the road passing shots?

Because they're fairly close, should I pan as they come into view, or pick a point? This is usually where I have issues...

And for those that have done motorsport, is the inside or outside of a corner the best place to sit?

ricktas
09-01-2009, 6:32am
firstly, have a great time. I would definitely take the 18-55 as you will end up using the 18 end more than anything else. You will find things to photograph on every bend in the road down here. Especially some of the smaller country towns. If you come down the midlands, you have some great places like Ross, Oatlands etc, with lots of old convict built bridges, churches and other buildings. If you come down the east coast, you have some stunning scenery along the Coast, including The bay of Fires (voted the worlds best travel destination (http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2008/10/19/33681_tasmania-news.html)for 2009), and that is before you arrive at one of the top ten beaches in the world, wineglass bay (http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=wineglass+bay&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title) Go down the west coast and you get to see rainforests, rugged mountainous country etc.

Hobart is full of old buildings, a great port, Mt Wellington and the Derwent River, lots of opportunities.

My suggestion is bring about 3 times as many memory cards as you think you will need.

BigEyedBeans
09-01-2009, 6:58am
It's not the kind of advice you asked for.. but ride the "Weldborough Pass".. it's rated as the third best motorcycle ride in Australia, apparently! Windy, tight corners.. just beeeauuuutiful! It's 42km from St Helens (on the east coast) to Weldborough and the views are just magnificent.

I @ M
09-01-2009, 8:16am
And for those that have done motorsport, is the inside or outside of a corner the best place to sit?

Both inside and outside will offer great shots of bikes, unlike cars, bikes lean in corners ( as you obviously know )and you will get an entirely different perspective of the angle depending on whether you are on one side or the other.
Don't settle for one corner, take thousands of shots from both sides and have a ball. :th3:

Charmed
09-01-2009, 8:49am
Both inside and outside will offer great shots of bikes, unlike cars, bikes lean in corners ( as you obviously know )and you will get an entirely different perspective of the angle depending on whether you are on one side or the other.
Don't settle for one corner, take thousands of shots from both sides and have a ball. :th3:

+1

Pick your position well, some will be better for outside then in & vis-versa, look @ the camber of the road.

If on the inside you can follow them in the entire corner just by panning. Remember to follow through.

Higher ground is an advantage & makes life a little easier for outside

ALWAYS consider safety 1st. Consider time of day.

But most importantly, stay safe, keep the rubber side down, I don't want to be reading of any 'offs' in other forums

N*A*M
09-01-2009, 9:33am
awesome! have fun

for bikes, i tend to prefocus, compose, then shoot as they come through