PDA

View Full Version : photobooks

learning
04-01-2009, 6:04pm
Hi
Can anyone comment on the ease of use of certain software already mentioned in creating photobooks. I see snapfish and memento mentioned. I don't have a computer buddy, except my nephew who is 600 miles away, and my most effective learning style is to see it done, so it takes twice as long doing it on my own. Thanks Carm

ShowTiyme
04-01-2009, 6:10pm
Hi Carm, first of all welcome to AP & hope that you find your stay here helpful & enjoyable. In answer to your question I haven't ever had a photobook done but have had 2 calendars printed through snapfish & am impressed with the quality. The process was quite easy & self explanatory & you can always check the status of your order when you log into your snapfish account. I do recommend them for calendars at least.

Plus you have the option of either getting it sent to your home address or picking it up from a Rabbit Photo store if that's more convenient. I'm sure their photobooks would be of the same high standard, plus if you connect to them via the snapfish banner on Ausphotography the site gets a comission for your effort.

ricktas
04-01-2009, 6:22pm
If you decide to go with snapfish, either click through the banner ads on Ausphotography (AP), or use the link, in this thread: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13499

That way AP gets commission on your purchase, which helps pay AP site running costs etc, ensuring AP can remain free for members.

wideangle
04-01-2009, 9:34pm
I have got my photographic books published by Blurb Booksmart, a US company. Their software is very good and is available from their website at www.blurb.com Their shipping options have also been updated and are very competitive. The final quality is excellent, and personally I think its better than anything I have seen from Australian shops.

ABC
05-01-2009, 9:54am
I second wideangle's comments for blurb.com. I created a photo book (including text) of our South American Honeymoon for Cath (clcollins) for Christmas.
They have larger book sizes than most others, if you're thinking of making large size coffee table books, and have options such as premium paper and wrap around printing on hardcovers.
The software wasn't the easiest thing to figure out by playing around with, but the best part of using their software is that there are a bunch of videos on their site showing you how to use their software - perfect for the person who "likes to see it done". There are also a selection of FAQs and a forum area talking you through the best way to create certain layouts.

The book that I created was over 200 pages at their largest size and the quality is absolutely first class. For any husbands and boyfriends out there take note - these are worth many brownie points :D not to mention a good way to create something you can touch from all your digital photos.

ving
05-01-2009, 10:27am
i have used blurb and lulu, both are easy to use. blurbs quality is a bit better tho. try for snapfish, i have heard good stuff about them :)

Bunyip
05-01-2009, 11:54am
I'm not familar with Blurb, Lulu, nor SnapFish so don't consider this necessarily relevant to those sites; but I'd be reluctant to leave my artwork on a web site unless I was absolutely certain that it was here to stay. Imagine spending hours and hours putting together a wonderful scrapbook design, only to find that the web site has shut up shop and gone fishing, permanently. It's going to happen more too, given the current 'economic climate'.

clcollins
05-01-2009, 11:58am
I'm not familar with Blurb, Lulu, nor SnapFish so don't consider this necessarily relevant to those sites; but I'd be reluctant to leave my artwork on a web site unless I was absolutely certain that it was here to stay. Imagine spending hours and hours putting together a wonderful scrapbook design, only to find that the web site has shut up shop and gone fishing, permanently. It's going to happen more too, given the current 'economic climate'.

With Blurb you download software, do all the work on your home PC and then upload the book for printing, so it is not held on the site of the company, nor is it prone to server issues(until you upload it).

Altavista print makes you do all your work online, so if there is an issue you can loose all of your work. (I find the ones that make you work online quite slow and frustrating). This is what makes the sites that ask you to download their design software much superior.

Bunyip
05-01-2009, 12:12pm
With Blurb you download software, do all the work on your home PC and then upload the book for printing, so it is not held on the site of the company, nor is it prone to server issues(until you upload it).

Is the book stored in such a way that it could be used, or transformed for use, elsewhere if Blurb went away? If not, then I'd say that solution suffers from the same weakness.

ABC
05-01-2009, 1:52pm
Is the book stored in such a way that it could be used, or transformed for use, elsewhere if Blurb went away? If not, then I'd say that solution suffers from the same weakness.

It does suffer from that weakness, if you're really worried about that sort of thing. The data file is stored on your hard drive while you are creating and after you have uploaded, but I don't think there is any kind of standard for online photo book publishing file formats so whichever company you decide to go with you'll most likely run into the same problem.

I guess an alternative would be to create each page layout as a full page jpg in something like Lightroom, InDesign or Photoshop and then add each page to a full page bleed. You could then reuse those jpg layouts in a different site's software. I'm not sure if there is a facility in their software to export each page as a jpg - didn't get into it that far.

With Blurb, the book upload stays on the site (for a period of time) and can be marked private or public and you can sell it through them if you like too.

Bunyip
05-01-2009, 1:53pm
I wonder if it has an export function to, say, PDF format.

vdm
14-01-2009, 11:21am
Hi
Can anyone comment on the ease of use of certain software already mentioned in creating photobooks. I see snapfish and memento mentioned. I don't have a computer buddy, except my nephew who is 600 miles away, and my most effective learning style is to see it done, so it takes twice as long doing it on my own. Thanks Carm
Hi there, If you can get access to a MAC computer you can use iphoto which allows you to select and edit images as well as create photo books, calendars and etc. It is a very simple program to use and the best part about it is that you aren't online whilst you are putting it together. The other great part is that you have options on where to have it printed. There is a direct link for you to submit your creation to Apple but if your not in the USA it can take weeks for it to be printed and sent out. I have found out that you can export the book as a pdf and get it printed elsewhere. I run a studio/photolab and we have been able to produce the same quality if not better off the pdf export of those files. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a PC equivalent at the moment!

jonty
14-01-2009, 2:56pm
I second the Apple iPhoto books for those with Macs. Very easy to use with nice themes. Wonder if the '09 version will bring more themes or options. Just did one from a trip to Fiji and the printed photos were stunning. Full page pics looked great even looking up really close. They have a link on their site about optimum resolution for different print sizes here (http://www.apple.com/support/photoservices/preparation_tips/).

Aperture also has print products and I think offer more flexibility in layout.

Not cheap but not sure how quality or price compare with the others mentioned above.

learning
16-01-2009, 9:30pm
many thanks to you all about the photobook software. I was worried about having to do it while online. In the end I went with My Reflections in WA. The software downloads which was handy because I had to stay with a relative for a couple of days so worked on it there. I really left it a bit late to fully investigate and get down to it. It was a big project for my husbands 80th (yes 80th ) birthday. It took me several days to get it the way I wanted it, text and photos. It should arrive back on Monday, will let you know how it looks.
Carm