PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a monitor... mine is about to die

mrsgrumblebum
04-01-2009, 1:44pm
Well turned on the pc yesterday and a quarter of the screen was a slight green colour and sorta moving about not flashing but definatly moving. Had a fiddle and rectified it, Now I turned it on this morning and there is a bit more green to the corner of pc and there is more movement there, so I suspect my monitor is about to die... it is 4 and a bit yrs old.
Now my dilema is I have no idea about monitors so this is why I have turned to you guys, can someone recommend me a monitor to get. I not into the gaming scene, mainly only photography so one especially for this and for transfering my video from my video camera and just general pc stuff.
The more I look on google the more confused I'm getting.
Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

mrsgrumblebum

edited cause I can't spell hahaha

Kym
04-01-2009, 1:54pm
Most likely the monitor. But a couple of things to try first.

Power off.
Re-seat the monitor cable, both ends.
Jiggle the Graphics card in its slot (will need to take the lid off the PC)
Power on and test.

You can get a reasonable 22" or 24" for a few hundred dollars.
MSY are generally the cheapest (worst web site on the planet, designed to keep Mums & Dads + noobs away ;) ) www.msy.com.au

They are showing a 24" Samsung for $375 (refer MSY PDF parts list)
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24CMKKFV/ZA

I've got ViewSonic and BenQ.

Allann
04-01-2009, 1:55pm
I can recommend an LCD 19 or 20" monitor. Can't go wrong with a Dell (I have 2 x 20" and a 24") and these days they are not too expensive.

Calxoddity
04-01-2009, 2:59pm
Recommend a decent 24" monitor if you can afford it - the extra real estate is wonderful for photo editing and management.

You'll have to do a little research, but try to get a S-PVA or S-IPS type LCD panel monitor - these have better viewing angles and colour, with the trade-off of slower response times. It's a bit of a maze though... e.g. Dell 2408WFP = good, Dell S2409W = not so good.

Regards,
Calx

Jcas
04-01-2009, 5:55pm
Any of the newer LCD's are not too bad, i have a 24" dell and it is great, before you do that though have you got another monitor in the house you could try? graphics cards have been known to act wierd when they are on the way out .... :)

davwhite
05-01-2009, 8:45pm
Most likely the monitor. But a couple of things to try first.

Power off.
Re-seat the monitor cable, both ends.
Jiggle the Graphics card in its slot (will need to take the lid off the PC)
Power on and test.

Thanks Kym, turned on my NEC LCD today and it was a nice shade of green, remembered your reply and found a loose cable at the back of the PC, now tight and monitor looking good, thanks.

TOM
05-01-2009, 10:53pm
Eizo Color Edge monitors are the bees knees for photogrphy minded people however I run a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW because the Eizo is expensive. The Samsung is OK, and calibrates rather well. I have had it for around a year, so I'm sure it is not a current model.

mrsgrumblebum
07-01-2009, 8:15am
Thanks for the replies guys. Had a fiddle with all the cables, unplugged them all then replugged them in, seems to have done the trick with the green tinge but still has a bit of a flicker on right hand side, so will keep soldering on for now til it really goes kaput.
If anyone else has recommendations please post.
Once again thanks :)

Kym
07-01-2009, 12:39pm
Maybe get a replacement video cable?
Or if you are very careful and brave... power off and very slightly use a screw driver to spread the pins so they make a better connection.
We are talking moving them 0.3mm or less; not enough to cause them to misalign.

purephotos
12-01-2009, 10:19pm
Monitor: ASUS 19" LCD VW193
Video card: nVidia 8800GT

Both these items are VERY good products, all you need to figure out is what the problem is. If you have to replace either your monitor or video card, stick with VGA connection if you are on windows vista, and go DVI if you are on XP. For some reason Vista requires you to unplug your monitor and plug it back in again every time you boot up to make the computer recognise the monitor.

-R

bigbikes
22-01-2009, 8:32pm
Hi mrsgrumblebum.
I know you fixed you monitor, but if and when you do have to replace it have a look at one of the 24" Hp lcd monitors. You will be more than impressed with them.
Believe me, they are good.
Have a great day.
Bye
Peter

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rHm6uEK09Oo

DanNG
26-01-2009, 9:51pm
Can't go past the NEC's S-IPS panel monitors - performance per $

sRGB workflow - 2490Wuxi (between $1200-$1500)

AdobeRGB workflow - 2690Wuxi