PDA

View Full Version : straightening in cs3

stevemack
28-12-2008, 6:40pm
How to straighten a pic in cs3? can someone tell me how please thanks.

steve.

ricktas
28-12-2008, 6:45pm
Do you mean straighten a crooked horizon, or level a bowed horizon (cause by wide angle lens)?

To straighten a crooked horizon:

* Open photo in CS3
* Use the ruler tool (located under the eye-dropper tool in the pallette)
* With the ruler tool click on the horizon, hold the mouse down and draw a line along the horizon (or the thing that should be level), and then release the mouse button.
* Go to Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary. (the degree of change will already be set from your ruler tool).
* Click OK, then crop the newly rotated photo.

Bowed Horizon:

*Open photo in CS3
* Filter > Distort > Lens Correction
* Use remove distortion slider.
* Click OK when done.

Dizzy Photographics
28-12-2008, 6:52pm
Thanks for that one rick...i was only getting myself all frustrated over this the other day. I eventually got it but by a much harder means lol...i had seen a tutorial on it and had completed it myself but havent done it again since and forgot where i saw it to go back to, now i wont need to :)

stevemack
28-12-2008, 7:37pm
Thanks rick :th3:

steve.

Seesee
28-12-2008, 9:04pm
I find the quickest and easiest way in CS3 is as Rick mentions .....go straight to Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitary......too easy :)

endyaust
02-01-2009, 10:45pm
Folks,

Just an additional note:

The ruler tool can also be used to measure the angle that a near-vertical line, say a wall, is offset from the vertical. Photoshop is smart enough to recognise that near vertical lines should be vertical. It will then calculate the required rotation to make the line vertical.

Cheers,

Bruce

geko104
05-01-2009, 6:26pm
i also find the warp tool very good(edit>transform>warp) This is especially good with a stitched pano where the horizon may go up and down after stitching.

mrsamo
05-01-2009, 10:06pm
If its to straighten the horzon, I've tried Rick's suggestion before but find that my eyes get lazy and I'm just guessing the straightness.

So I enable grids and rotate my image/canvas according to the lines. Much more accurate!

Roof
05-01-2009, 11:33pm
When i take images into photoshop it opens with camera raw, and there is this beaut tool that you just drag over the horizon and Bob's your uncle

Look here (http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=2009A)

ricktas
06-01-2009, 8:17am
When i take images into photoshop it opens with camera raw, and there is this beaut tool that you just drag over the horizon and Bob's your uncle

Look here (http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=2009A)

I use the one in Lightroom.

Roof
06-01-2009, 8:33pm
I didn't know that that was possible, Where do i find this..............nevermind i have a look myself

Roof
06-01-2009, 8:52pm
Nope can't find it, what version do you use Rick ?

ricktas
06-01-2009, 8:58pm
I am using version 2.2 Roof. In 2.0 - 2.2 is under the crop tool in the develop module, up the right side, just under the bottom left of the histogram. In 1.0 - 1.4 it was along the bottom, under the image window, I can recall exactly where. If you still can't find it Roof, I might be able to do some screen shots to show you.

Roof
06-01-2009, 9:00pm
Found it thanks for that, That's gonna save some time

41jas
19-01-2009, 11:34am
I never knew how to straighten the photos either so what I done was use the crop tool and rotate until where you want it. I figure you have to crop after straightening so do it in one go.:th3:

MrJorge
19-01-2009, 3:50pm
I never knew how to straighten the photos either so what I done was use the crop tool and rotate until where you want it. I figure you have to crop after straightening so do it in one go.:th3:

That is how I've always done it :o

rayray086
24-01-2009, 12:24am
Yeah same here - searched in google first and the most easy-to-follow procedure was the crop method :p

Thanks for the tips!