PDA

View Full Version : New to DSLR's - bag advice please:::

cruro02
20-12-2008, 10:40pm
Hi all,
I'm just getting back into photography after many years of littlemore than point and shoot, so I signed up here... I used to own a Pentax ME Super (still have it somewhere) and a few lenses.
Anyway I have scored a Pentax K200D with a Sigma 18-50mm, plus i have the original Pentax M 50mm f1.7, a Sigma 100-300mm, and a Sigma 70-210mm, and my original Pentax AF280T Flash... Now I need a bag to carry it all around in.. I've looked at (online so far - haven't had a chance to get to any camera stores) the following:-
- Tamrac Expedition 3
- Delsy Gopix 80
- Lowepro Mini Trekker
- Tamrac Velocity 8 (& 9)
- Lowepro Slingshot 100 (& 200)
and one or two others -

Trouble is I'm now thoroughly confused - not sure if everything will fit, what style works best (sling or backpack), etc....Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated...:xmas31:

Kym
20-12-2008, 10:44pm
Only way is to go to a shop and physically try them.

I use a Lowepro Orion Trekker II for outings, but have some other storage at home. Have a bag from the 80's I used for my film stuff i take on business trips (smaller).

ricktas
20-12-2008, 10:45pm
The first thing I would recommend is getting a bag that is to big for your current gear! Once you get the photography bug (again) you will have new lenses soon, maybe a flash etc. So always buy something that will have room to grow with you.

The slingshots are good, maybe a 200 or even a 300. Avoid the 100 as you will need to replace it as soon as you buy some extra gear. Other members will have differing opinions on which bag, but the best thing you can do is get into a camera store and have a good look at the range.

cruro02
20-12-2008, 11:05pm
Thanks folks - Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go shopping and have a look... :rolleyes: - maybe after Xmas tho' - I hate crowds... :(

TOM
21-12-2008, 2:12am
Shopping around is the best however you will probably go through a few bags until you finally end up with the one (or more) that is right for you. I do not have that one bag that suits my needs for every job but I have found that for most things, the Domke F2, which is the classic PJ bag, suits me just fine. It is amazing how much gear it will hold. Most of my gear is stored in Pelican cases, which are for permanant storage, and I then just take what I need and put into the Domke on a need basis.

Jcas
21-12-2008, 12:36pm
I did a lot of reading and looking at bags etc, i too decided on the Domke F2, i can't comment on it as yet , i am still waiting for it to arrive , Santa takes so long to come when one is anxious:D:D:D

pgbphotographytas
21-12-2008, 12:51pm
I had a few different bags until I got the Lowepro Fastpack 250 I have now which suits me really well and would fit your gear nicely.

Paul

Helen S
21-12-2008, 1:43pm
I have the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW which I bought for our NZ trip (as the Dryzone 200 was too large as carry-on luggage) and it's deceivingly large for its physical size. It can house everything in my signature bar the 10D & 300D and the monster 100-400mm.

reaction
22-12-2008, 9:36am
Although it feels good to dump $200 on a 'pro' camera bag, many of us just have lens bags and a towel for the camera and dump it all in a backpack.

You don't look like such a target for thieves. Plus you can have 5 backpacks depending how many lenses u want, you're not going to buy 5 'pro' camera bags. The 'compartments' are a gimmick. Pockets are useful yes, but only canons don't have padded bags for their lens included, why would you pad a padded bag?

And while a backpack can hold 'other' stuff, your 'pro' camera bag holds only camera stuff, so your lunch/water etc will go in yet another bag you carry around.

(I do have a camera bag but it has no 'padded adjustable compartments')